Frequent Contributor
LeilaniLK
0 Kudos

Nookbooks for Kids

My daughter (she is 8 years old) has asked for a Nook for Christmas.  I am unwilling to part with mine however I am more than willing to buy her a classic Nook Wifi-only, if it will encourage her to read more (she reads a decent amount now but a little encouragement never hurts especially for reading).  My problem is while she is in the 3rd grade, she reads at a 7th grade level so I am trying to find some books that will challenge her but have age appropriate material.  Does anyone have any suggestions for books that she can read that does not have more adult material?

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Re: Nookbooks for Kids

Classic books would be the easiest (and less-expensive options).  Plot summaries are easily found so you could make the decision on what you think is "adult" content.  B&N Classics are ~2$ (occasionally free) and come annotated.  She could start with:

Pride and Prejudice (Barnes & Noble Classics Series) 

Jane Eyre (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)  

Grimm's Fairy Tales (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)  

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)  

Essential Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)  

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)  

Call of the Wild and White Fang (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)  

Treasure Island (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)  

Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)  

Secret Garden (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)  

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)  

Wind in the Willows (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)  

King Solomon's Mines (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)  

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Other Stories (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)  

Time Machine and The Invisible Man (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)  

Great Expectations (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)  

Three Musketeers (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)  

Oliver Twist (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)  

Northanger Abbey (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)  

The Moonstone (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)  

Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Other Writings (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)  

Gulliver's Travels (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)  

The Jungle Books (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)  

Prince and the Pauper (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)  

Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)  

War of the Worlds (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)  

Tale of Two Cities (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)  

Aesop's Fables (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)   

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Contributor
cjohnson
0 Kudos

I personally would not purchase a nook for my child or teen for one reason and one reason only--the erotica easily seen in graphic book covers and book descriptions you can find frequently in the "Shop" section.  Barnes and Noble needs to fix this--especially when they're marketing their new NOOKcolor to children with their NOOKbooks for kids.  A genre block would be nice! 

Contributor
Read-a-mom
0 Kudos

I feel your pain! My daughter is the same way. She reads constantly! She could easily read high school books, but she's 10. She really wanted an e-reader for Christmas, so I started the research. Hours later it came down to 2, the Nook and the Sony Touch PRS 600. Both are capable of getting library books which was the most important. We ended up with the Sony for her specifically because there is NO wifi. She can only get the books that I put on there. We purchased it refurbished at the Sony store for about $100. (I am getting a Nook though :smileytongue: )

A lot of the classics are great, especially because they are free. Other books that have gone over really well is the Percy Jackson series.

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series #1) 

The Mysterious Benedict Society Collection 

another good series. Kid spies!

Both of these are going onto her Sony for Christmas

Frequent Contributor
LeilaniLK
0 Kudos

Melissa W:  Thanks for the advice.  I actually have a lot of those myself from when B&N was offering groups of classics free every week.  I will be sure to pass some of them on to her.

Read-a-mom wrote:

I feel your pain! My daughter is the same way. She reads constantly! She could easily read high school books, but she's 10. She really wanted an e-reader for Christmas, so I started the research. Hours later it came down to 2, the Nook and the Sony Touch PRS 600. Both are capable of getting library books which was the most important. We ended up with the Sony for her specifically because there is NO wifi. She can only get the books that I put on there. We purchased it refurbished at the Sony store for about $100. (I am getting a Nook though :smileytongue: )

My daughter specifically asked for a Nook so I researched those as well as the Kindle and Sony readers.  I chose the Nook because I can set it up to require a password for purchases so she would still need me to buy the books, while the Kindle could not from what I saw.  I had a Nook 3G+Wifi and now I have a Nookcolor (which I LOVE) and she said she wanted one like the one I had, so it did help that she told me that the very best present Santa could bring her was a Nook.  But if I hadn't been able to protect against random purchases I would have had to figure something else out.  I had also though about getting her the Percy Jackson books.

Aside from that, it looks like both of our daughters are going to have a GREAT Christmas.  I hope you all have a wonderful holiday and thank you for your help.

New User
MisMommy
0 Kudos

My daughter is the same way.  She's in 3rd grade (4th next year!), but reading at the 6th-7th grade level - although there are many books deemed 6th-7th grade that I won't allow her to read due to the mature subject matter.  She got a nook from my mother-in-law for Christmas and LOVES it.

Anyway, I have a separate BN.Com account for her - and she does NOT have the password, so she can't shop to her heart's content (it happened once - it's REALLY easy to purchase books on the nook!).  If she wants a book, she adds it to her wishlist.  I look at her wishlist periodically by logging into the separate BN.Com account and by a few for her.  My parents recently sent her a nook gift card which we added to her account, so now we talk about her wishlist before I click to purchase it.  She is learning about budgeting the money she has left on the gift card (which is reloadable - like an iTunes account) for the ebooks she wants more than others.

BUT, I do watch the Free Fridays books - sometimes they're appropriate for kids - and browse the nookBooks for Kids section on BN.Com to see if there's something she might like.  Then we make the choice together, which gives us more bonding time.  I'll take all the bonding time I can get before she hits those teenage years!

Simply put - she LOVES her nook.  I think it might be the best Christmas present she's ever received!

Reader
DarktimeTales
0 Kudos

If I might, I'd like to suggest my series of children's stories and books - "The Traveling Salesman's Darktime Tales".  They're based on stories I told my own children when they were younger and are appropriate for kids 8 and up. The stories are about a traveling salesman who's also a wizard of sorts.  He travels from place to place selling magical items, helping townspeople, and fighting magical creatures of every kind.

These are not Harry Potter type books that require a huge time investment from the child, rather they are a series of short/medium length stories that a child can read in a day or two.  There's plenty of action and adventure, but without the intensity of more adult fare. 

Here's a few of the stories available for the Nook (the Anthology is probably the best place to start and the most cost effective):

The Traveling Salesman's Darktime Tales Anthology (Children's Stories) 

The Innkeeper's Vampire - A Traveling Salesman's Darktime Tale (Children's Book) 

The Wizard's Tontine - A Traveling Salesman's Darktime Tale (Children's Story)    

The Elixir of Osiris - A Traveling Salesman's Darktime Tale (Children's Story) 

The Devil Dog and the Artemis Bow - A Traveling Salesman's Darktime Tale (Children's Story)   

I hope your daughter enjoys them!

Frequent Contributor
GonnaTri
0 Kudos

Is there a way that kids can search for Nookbooks without being exposed to some of the more adult books?

Also is there any kind of ranking by age on the books?  When some teen books talk about romance i'm not sure how far they go.

Correspondent
Strayer
0 Kudos

When a writer self publishes a kid book, the age group has to be filled in.

For teen readers, I would look and see if there is a sample the book available. If so, you could take a look and see if the book is one you wish to be off limits.

I'm not sure the book description would give an idea if the book is more adult than you would want for your teen reader.

Well, I was a big help!

Contributor
Maranda_Russell
0 Kudos

In Memory of Dad  If you are looking for an inspirational or meaningful book for your child, please consider my ebook!  It is only 99 cents, but has gotten great reviews, including recommendations from children's counselors and therapists.  This book is one that anyone who has lost a loved one can relate to.  Even adults have said they loved the story and were deeply touched by it.