Inspired Wordsmith
Theriot_Publishing
0 Kudos

Why kids books are taking so darn long!

[ Edited ]

We want to publish as soon as possible.  We have many assets created (individual for reuse) and not compiled pictures.

So since I and many others have tons of enhanced kids books materials awaiting publication... why aren't they here?

The answer is simple.  The SDK does not include any features at all for publishing books of any sort.  It's simply a dev kit to create a calculator, a dayplanner or another version of AngryBirds.

All apps.  (Don't get us wrong, all those enhanced books are apps too!, but unless you are a special partner, you don't get access to them just yet.)

B&N is currently reviewing 'how best to release these internal api's to create things like... erm... BOOKS, read-to-me and alivetouch. 

Well, I can give you all a good idea how to best release them.  Free and NOW! 

Let us start developing with them even if we can't publish just yet.

It's a horrible situation you've put us in, not knowing when the SDK for actual book publishers will be available.  I've simply resorted to creating art that can be highly customized. I know clearly what I want to do but have zero parameters to even frame that in.

While we can do everything we mentioned in the other thread (that's all contingent on the full book publishers' SDK release becoming available (and there is no timeline).

I rather expect that the appstore will launch without enhanced bookpublishers being included.

And while I have many pictures, audio recordings and ideas well laid out, two weeks is not nearly enough time to fully test one idea, let alone multiple books.

I'm a bit disappointed as they've kept these inside API's for their use only.. and those corporate partners. 

And the independent publishers get shunned.  But at least we always have the Candy Mountain.. eh Charlie?

There is zero word on when these API's that we need will be available to the commoners.

What that really means is that they are restricting your content options.  Such a shame.

Somehow it leaves a bad taste in your mouth.  Instead of promoting kids' books, they seem to be actively preventing them.. well, except for the ones selling at $10-$15.

You can do the math versus independents who plan on offering very similar content at $5.

Behold the Glory and Grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Let His noodly appendage touch you. Swallow the sauce for it is the blood of innocent tomatoes. So sayeth the FSM. Pasta for Peace!
Contributor
nookNoobie
0 Kudos

Re: Why kids books are taking so darn long!

Interesting insight into the business end of publishing.  BN released the NC to get the product out into hands of the masses yet don't have the mechanism to fully support the device.  All this push of things that could be done with the NC but the selection of children's picture books are weak. 

Where are the vapor titles like Jamberry and those enhanced nookbooks?

Inspired Wordsmith
Theriot_Publishing
0 Kudos

Re: Why kids books are taking so darn long!

I, for one, have considerable investment in the new NOOKcolor kids's books development. 

We are very frustrated that we can't even begin real development of these books (though we are working on art assets that can be resized and reused in any book.)

Give us some specs that are optimal to use.. even if we can't compile a full book yet.  (and while we do know some specs like screensize, that's not sufficient to commit to.)

It quite frankly sucks when you are doing everyting right, but you see profit slipping through your fingers when others are deemed more worthy because they already exist. 

I usually view/see about 10 new kids books a day.  I'm amazed at the crap I see published in DTB form.... and not in a good way mostly.

While some are indeed good, it boggles my mind that such substandard publications ever got a chance at being published.

We are just a bit more than irked here and wish a ROI (return on investment).  We plan to offer a line of new IP's and an extensive line of customized books, perfect for the new NOOKcolor.

If the api is not ready, give us something... it's ready enough for those established publishers isn't it? 

Open the damn gates!

Behold the Glory and Grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Let His noodly appendage touch you. Swallow the sauce for it is the blood of innocent tomatoes. So sayeth the FSM. Pasta for Peace!