Contributor
kaol
0 Kudos

Can I NOT Read a Magazine on "Nook For PC" or "Nookstudy?"

I'm in the second week of a trial subscription to the New Yorker, and I notice that I cannot read it on either of the Nook PC Apps, as I can with books. This doesn't make sense to me, so I'm wondering if

a) This is because I'm still in a trial period?

b) There is something wrong with the registration on my two PC apps? I think that's unlikely because books are working just fine. I can read any book I download from B&N on either the Nook or one of the PC Nook apps with no problem.

c) Those are just the rules. If so, I haven't been able to find a thing on the B&N site so far to tell me that an emagazine is retricted to a single device/app.

Can anyone help me with this?

Contributor
kaol
0 Kudos

Re: Can I NOT Read a Magazine on "Nook For PC" or "Nookstudy?"

Guess the answer on this is no> You'd think someone from B&N would be checking out a question like this under a newsstand topic. I'm ready to buy a sub or two, but not if I can only read them on a single device.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@kaol,

Can you give us more specifics on exactly what the issue is that you are experiencing when you state that you cannot read it on both the NOOK for PC App and NOOKstudy App?

Are you receiving an error message? 

Contributor
kaol
0 Kudos

Some specifics follow, but an answer to the basic question doesn't require them, so let me rephrase it: Do magazine subscriptions follow the same rules as nookbooks? I.e., can I download and read a sub on more than one device in the same fashion as with a book? If so, do trial subscriptions also follow those rules?

This was prompted by a trial subscription to the New Yorker. I've not subscribed to an emagazine on the Nook before, so this is a test to see whether it is worth it.

When I set up the trial, I immediately got the first issue on the Nook, downloaded it, and began reading it. When I opened up Nookstudy (my favorite PC reader), that issue shows up in the library. If I click on it, the page that comes up says:

[Sorry, we are unable to open this book.

This file type is not supported in this application (2082)

If you believe you've received this message in error, contact Customer Service at 1-800-the-book]

The file type is epub like everything else in my Nook B&N downloads folder, so something else must be going on. I also notice in My Library online that the New Yorker does not have a download button beside it, like the books, indicating that my problem likely isn't because of a registration issue, but a difference between magazines and books. I suppose I could just go ahead and let the paid sub start, see what happens, and then ask, but I thought I'd give it a go now.

Contributor
kaol
0 Kudos

FYI - Found that I can sideload and read the mag okay, though interestingly enough the covers are grayscale. I will go ahead and subscribe and see what happens, but would like to know if I'm experiencing glitches of some sort or this is just the way things are done.

Reader
HGCornett
0 Kudos

I am having a similar problem.  I added the Christian Science Monitor weekly as a trial on my Nook for PC application (I do not own a Nook itself).  It was added to my library instantly.  However, when I open Nook on my Android phone, the eMagazine does not show in my library or anywhere in the Nook for Android program no matter how much I refresh the library.

I am seriously considering changing my subscription from print to eMagazine, but, like kaol, only if I can read it on multiple devices.

Howard

Contributor
kaol
0 Kudos

New Wrinkle: First of all, even though all of the magazines I looked at say "...available online in the My eBooks Library section of your account, NOOK and free NOOK apps" they also note lack of availability on android smartphones. Some mags say they are also not available on iPad. And today (I can't prove this is new, but I think it is), The New Yorker has added to that: "Note: Available for reading only on nook. Cannot be read on other devices at this time" The real story, as my previous notes make clear, is that though for some reason it can't be downloaded to the free readers like Nook for PC and Nookstudy,  it can be sideloaded.

This does not of course solve Howard's problem because the Christian Science Monitor has no such note on it. So B&N obviously has to get organized and be clear about what can be read on what. Even though The New Yorker would look better with a bit of color, a nice layout and more shades in the grayscale (which in fact is what happens when I read it on Nookstudy), it is a magazine for readers, and works out just fine on the Nook itself, so I will  cross my fingers and go ahead and subscribe.

PS -

Reader 4
Virgo_Girl
0 Kudos

I think this is the best thread to ask so here goes.....  It's basically the same question as the original post. I'm also wondering when the emagazines will be available on more than just the nookcolor?  When I look at my favorite magazines (whole living, martha stewart living, shape, etc) I see the compatible app is always listed as nookcolor. I don't understand why we can't view them on the nook for PC or on of the other apps.

Is there a timeline for when the magazines would be available on the other apps? Is this even in consideration? If not, I'd like to know that too. I'm teetering on either waiting for BN to make them available or going over to Zinio so I can enjoy them now. 

Thanks for any information you can share. 

New User
TeacherTechnology
0 Kudos

If anyone comes to this chat late as I did, please note that also purchased a magazine from B/N to read on the Nook for PC and am getting the same error message. I have been unable to open or read the magazine.

Reader 4
Jan51
0 Kudos

The answer I got back from support was that unless it says it is compatible with Nook for PC or Nook for Mac, it cannot be read on those devices. I cancelled my subscriptions because some of the articles or recipes I liked could not be printed. If I had the printed version of the magazine, I could keep just those articles and recipes. They said it would be a copyright violation to allow it to be printed. However, if you subscribe online to the direct site for the magazine, you can print so I don't get it. I am still paying for the magazine subscription and should be able to save something in hard copy form. Therefore, I will buy the print version from the grocery store when I buy my groceries so that I can save what I like in my files. 

New User
bbjpf
0 Kudos

I wasn't able to read it on the website, thought I should be able to. On my laptop (windows 8) I downloaded the Nook app and it reads beautifully. I did have to click on it and wait (forever) for it to download. I have pretty slow internet though! So happy. Now it's huge and I can even read Consumer reports magazine easily!

New User
mgscott
0 Kudos

I agree - using the Nook Metro App (Windows 8 Start Window app), I can read the 2 subscriptions I ordered (Rolling Stone & Consumer Reports), but on Nook for PC, the cover is B&W, and once I click Next to go past the Table of Contents on the magazine, I get

"We are sorry, but this Barnses & Noble application has encountered a problem and it needs to close (code 012).  Would you like to restart the applicaiton now"