New User
smitch2010
0 Kudos

NOOK Newsstand

I just received my NOOKcolor. I noticed online that there are magazines advertised on the website as being part of the NOOK newsstand, but when I go to shop on my NOOKcolor some of those magazines are not available. Are those magazines shown on the website just previews of what is to come?

Thank you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK Newsstand

smitch2010 wrote:

I just received my NOOKcolor. I noticed online that there are magazines advertised on the website as being part of the NOOK newsstand, but when I go to shop on my NOOKcolor some of those magazines are not available. Are those magazines shown on the website just previews of what is to come?

Thank you.

My thought is perhaps there is some lag between what the website shows and what the shop are of the nook shows.  It wasn't till very recently that the nook magazine section showed 40mags and reportedly soon it will be up to 70.  I have my eye on at least one magazine right now (well more, but one for certain) and am hopeful that shortly a couple more of my favorites will be added.

I'm only putting out my opinion on this and hope someone who knows for sure can answer.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

56 magazines today.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Contributor
scot30
0 Kudos

deemure wrote:

56 magazines today.

Yeah...I was all excited when I went to bn.com and saw all the new magazines for Nook, and saw some that I was interested in.  Then I got ticked off when I noticed that all of them are for Nook Color only.  I've been waiting for what seems like forever for them to add more magazines and newspapers, and when they finally do I can't read any of them on my Nook.  What a crock.  I've about had it with this thing.  I shouldn't have to go shell out another $249 just to be able to look at the new content.

Contributor
BarlowGirlMD
0 Kudos

scot30 wrote:

deemure wrote:

56 magazines today.

Yeah...I was all excited when I went to bn.com and saw all the new magazines for Nook, and saw some that I was interested in.  Then I got ticked off when I noticed that all of them are for Nook Color only.  I've been waiting for what seems like forever for them to add more magazines and newspapers, and when they finally do I can't read any of them on my Nook.  What a crock.  I've about had it with this thing.  I shouldn't have to go shell out another $249 just to be able to look at the new content.

Wow, I was wondering that myself.  Can we read them online at least?  There are several magazines that I want to subscribe to, but I just bought a nook color for someone else as a gift.  Not about to rush straight out and try to get one for myself when I already have a nook.  

Correspondent
htbyron
0 Kudos

BarlowGirlMD wrote:

scot30 wrote:

deemure wrote:

56 magazines today.

Wow, I was wondering that myself.  Can we read them online at least?  There are several magazines that I want to subscribe to, but I just bought a nook color for someone else as a gift.  Not about to rush straight out and try to get one for myself when I already have a nook.  

Not online, and remarkably not even on the PC!  Many magazines were previously readable on iphone, but not android, and I had been hoping that android compatibility was coming soon.  Instead, they have dropped iphone (and in some cases ipad) compatibility.  Reviews for some mags (e.g., New Yorker) include complaints from subscribers that they can no longer read the content they are paying for because compatibility has been downgraded.

Frequent Contributor
DonnaReads
0 Kudos

I had recently posted on the Newsstand board that this is my biggest disappointment - that we cannot read the nice, colorful magazines on our PC. I have the original Nook and no money for a NookColor right now, but would love to downsize my paper magazines by reading many of them on my PC. 

However, we must remember that B&N is looking to make a profit... and selling more Nookcolors is what they're really trying to do.  People like me who would subscribe to the magazines to read them on PC are making them dollars, but not as much as if I were forced to buy the Nookcolor, right?  Plus, this might be a limitation that the magazine publishers are forcing on B&N.  So I'm trying to keep a good frame of mind about it......!

Contributor
scot30
0 Kudos

There really is no reason that ALL the magazines they offer can't be available on ALL devices.  The only reason I can think of is to try to force people into buying a new Nook Color, which I'm not going to do.