AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

Old issues automatically disappear?

[ Edited ]

I have subscriptions to Alfred Hitchcock and Ellery Queen magazines.  I just got the latest issues delivered.  I hadn't read the old ones yet.  I sometimes like to save them up for when I'm between books.  They weren't on my Nook any more.  I called customer service and was told that they are automatically removed when new issues come in to "save space".

Shouldn't it be my choice how much space I want to save?  I had to sideload the magazines into My Documents and they were fine but I would prefer them to be in the B&N section where I have more control over what's going on as far as sorting, etc.

Is there any possibility of making magazine archiving a user option so I don't have to sideload old issues whenever a new one shows up?  In my case, these magazines are only once a month and I'm sure don't take up much room.

The other issue is that when Nook 1.5 comes out the old magazines won't sync to my Android phone like the new ones will.  I'm not liking this policy very much.

Thank you.

►Without order there is chaos◄
AlanNJ
0 Kudos

Re: Old issues automatically disappear?

I just found the option on my Nook that says "view older issues".  It would have been nice if customer service had told me about that... :smileymad:

Distinguished Correspondent
booklover128
0 Kudos

You will still need to archive these older issues to keep them indefinitely though - there is a 10 issue limit before "auto delete" happens.

The good news is that once an issue is archived and brought back, it is there forever until you delete it. It will not be subject to the 10 issue limit any longer.

Inspired Contributor
Paginate
0 Kudos

The user manual states that the number of issues saved is dependent on how often the periodical is published.  For example, the nook will save fewer issues of a quarterly magazine then one that is published monthly (the exact numbers can be be found in the users manual).  Just thought I'd point that out so no one thinks that they don't have to archive their magazines as long as they don't have 10 issues of it.  One more thing, I don't have any subscriptions but I've been told in another thread that if you haven't archived a periodical at least once before you cancel its subscription, the nook won't let you ever archive it and it will be deleted after a year.  Unless something has changed, this isn't stated in the users manual anywhere though.

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

booklover128 wrote:

You will still need to archive these older issues to keep them indefinitely though - there is a 10 issue limit before "auto delete" happens.

The good news is that once an issue is archived and brought back, it is there forever until you delete it. It will not be subject to the 10 issue limit any longer.

That's an interesting thought.  So if I want all my issues to be available it almost makes sense to just make it a routine to archive them and restore them as soon as they arrive.  I can always re-archive them again later if I want.  Am I understanding this correctly?

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Periodical issues are automatically deleted from your account (and NOOK) after 10 issues or one year, whichever comes first. 

This is true for both NOOKnewspapers and NOOKmagazines.

Unless you archive them. Once you've archived an issue, it becomes a permanent part of your B&N Library even if you unarchive it later, and if you want to delete it you'll have to do it through the B&N account area of the Web site.

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

Thanks for the clarification Michael!

Frequent Contributor
mareofearth
0 Kudos

Is there a way to set a subscription to automatically archive? Any magazines I buy, I plan to keep! You never know when you want to reference something you read a year or two ago...

Insanity doesn't run in my family, it gallops.
AlanNJ
0 Kudos

My understanding is that if you archive and then unarchive the magazine never disappears.  It only takes a few seconds to archive and unarchive a magazine.  I don't think it needs to be automatically done.  Just my opinion.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Periodical issues are automatically deleted from your account (and NOOK) after 10 issues or one year, whichever comes first. 

This is true for both NOOKnewspapers and NOOKmagazines.

Unless you archive them. Once you've archived an issue, it becomes a permanent part of your B&N Library even if you unarchive it later, and if you want to delete it you'll have to do it through the B&N account area of the Web site.

New User
rumpalm
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Where do you find this setting?  Do you a BW or Color Nook? Perhaps it's only on the color version?

Distinguished Wordsmith
FantasyRider

@Michael-V

I "think" I understand but that is indeed an odd feature...

Is this an valid example of what will happen?.  I have 15 total editions of a magazine.  All have been archived at least once since they were originally delivered.  Of these 15 editions, I have 10 not in archive.  I have the other 5 editions of the same magazine in my archive.  If I unarchive 2 of the archived editions will two of the total 15 editions be lost forever? 

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother." Albert Einstein
Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

The archiving feature is available in both NOOK and NOOKcolor.

Here are general archiving and unarchiving instructions for NOOK:

On the NOOK,
1.Tap on "My Library" from the Home screen (all of these steps are done in your "Library" on your NOOK)
2. Highlight the NOOKbook or NOOKperiodical (that you were unable to access) and tap "View Item Details & Options".
3. Then tap "Archive" and follow the on-screen prompts
4. Then tap "Check for New B&N Content" and wait for it to complete.

Once this update is completed, then you want to Unarchive the NOOKbook or NOOKperiodical in order to re-download the content

1. Ensure that you are still in My B&N Library section of My Library
2. Navigate to and Highlight the NOOKbook or NOOKperiodical you want to download (it should be grayed out).
3. Tap "View Item Details & Options".
4. Tap "Unarchive." and then tap "ok"
5. Then tap "Check for New B&N Content" and wait for it to complete.

You should now have access to that NOOKbook or NOOKperiodical..

Here are general archiving and unarchiving instructions for NOOKcolor:

On the NOOKcolor:

1. On the Quick Nav Bar, Tap “Library.”

1. Once inside, select the book you wish to archive by pressing and holding your finger on the title.

1. Once a second or two has passed you should see a contextual menu that gives you the option to archive your book.

1. Tapping archive will archive the book and automatically create a bookshelf in “My Shelves.” On that shelf you will find all of your archived items.

Unarchiving is just as simple.

1. From the Quick Nav Bar, Tap, “Library,” and go to, “My Shelves.”

1. This will bring you to a list of personalized NOOK bookshelves. At the bottom of your list of shelves will be an “Archived” shelf.

1. Simply hold your finger on the title you wish to unarchive and a menu will appear with the option to Unarchive

1. Tapping unarchive will put your NOOKbook back in your library and will automatically queue it to download.  

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@FantasyRider,

Once you've archived an issue, it becomes a permanent part of your B&N Library even if you unarchive it later, and if you want to delete it you'll have to do it through the B&N account area of the Web site.

Reader 2
ReadingEveryDay
0 Kudos

IS there any way to get back the old issues that have disappeared?  I subscribe to knitting magazines and naturally want to keep them so that I can use the patterns at some future date. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Generally, in my experience, they don't get deleted, they get archived. So you can just unarchive them each month.
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

You might want to see if the magazines are available for nook for PC or nook study too. You could then download a backup copy to your PC as well. Especially if you are keeping the magazines for future reference.