New User
nsapcor
0 Kudos

Add link to Book

[ Edited ]

I am posting a text only message on a website that I wish to link to my book on epubit. The "badge" method will not work as only text can appear, no images. Amazon has a "share" feature that provides a URL directly to the book. Does epubit have anything similar rather than the very lengthy one that now appears?

Frequent Contributor
TSCerys
0 Kudos

Re: Add link to Book

Isn't guaranteed to always work, but in general it'll work for a short term soluction if you don't need anything to last too long.  It -might- work longer, but I know some people have had issues with it.

You can shorten any B&N link by changing barnesandnoble to bn, so www.barnesandnoble.com becomes www.bn.com .  This will work on any B&N link, so if you're linking to a particular book page, you can do this, too.

And, you can remove the title of the book from the url as well.  For a random example, I grabbed this book off the front page of BN.com  ( http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/america-again-stephen-colbert/1110788777?ean=9780446583978 )

So you can remove the "america-again-stephen-colbert/" part.  And shorten barnesandnoble to bn.

So you get www.bn.com/w/1110788777?ean=9780446583978 which should go to the same page as http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/america-again-stephen-colbert/1110788777?ean=9780446583978

Granted, it's not the shortest ever, but it is shorter.  No idea if it helps or not.

People have had issues with this sometimes, though, where after awhile the shortened link doesn't work correctly.

Is the place you're wanting to put this on allow simple HTML?  If so, you can just do a link thing with like... <a href="link here">Book Name</a>, too.  That's probably a preferred way of doing it, but I realize you can't do this everywhere.

Contributor
mrsgodiva
0 Kudos

You can use bitly.com or tinyurl.com to shorten links.

New User
nsapcor
0 Kudos

It worked fine. Thanks

New User
nsapcor
0 Kudos

How long will those links remain active?

Correspondent
eB00k
0 Kudos

Hi nsapcor,

My experience is that a URL to a newly published ebook on B&N will change in a day or two. So you cannot trust the initial address assigned to a newly published ebook.

However, after a few days, the second URL assigned to it by B&N seems to be stable.

Why this is, is anyone's guess. Perhaps the first address is just temporary until a more permanent one is assigned.

Kind regards, David