New User
ePubThis
0 Kudos

Anyone have experience creating a full picturebook?

Hi guys,

I have quite a bit experience with creating eBooks for the iPad, Nook, Kindle, etc.

However, I have found myself in a challenge- I need some help with creating a full

picture book for the Nook Color. I'm guessing I just need the image dimensions?

Also, is it possible to do a text-overlay on the images, like with the iPad?

Thank you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Re: Anyone have experience creating a full picturebook?

ePubThis wrote:

Hi guys,

I have quite a bit experience with creating eBooks for the iPad, Nook, Kindle, etc.

However, I have found myself in a challenge- I need some help with creating a full

picture book for the Nook Color. I'm guessing I just need the image dimensions?

Also, is it possible to do a text-overlay on the images, like with the iPad?

Thank you.

This is the Nook General Discussion board.  You may get more assistance if you post on one of the NookColor boards -

NookColor general discussion -

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-General-Discussion/bd-p/NOOKcolorGeneralDiscussion

NookColor technical support -

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-Technical-Support/bd-p/NOOKcolortechnicalsupport

Inspired Correspondent
jaquellae

This potentially applies to the original nook as well, so I'll bite. If you just want a straight picture book/photo album ebook, you can do it this way:

1. Put all the images you want in the book in the same folder.

2. Rename the images in the order you want them to appear, i.e. image1.jpg (1st image), image2.jpg (2nd image), etc. You may want to resize the photos for the screen at this point, but it's not absolutely necessary.

3. Add all the images to either a .zip or .rar file. The easiest way to do this in Windows is to select all the images, right-click, then chose "send to > compressed folder" or "add to zipped file". Name the file whatever you want and change the extension to .cbr for .rar files or .cbz for zip files, i.e. book.cbr (if originally book.rar) or book.cbz (if originally book.zip).

4. You can now run the file through calibre or another program like it to convert it to .epub.

I've done this with several photo albums I wanted to carry around. Just be carefull to choose images with enough contrast so you can see what they are if you load them onto the original nook.

Frequent Contributor
CodyFord

That will work if the picture book is viewed on a NOOK, or similar supported devices with the same screen ratio. But the NOOK for PC will cut the images off.

New User
ePubThis
0 Kudos

jaquellae wrote:

This potentially applies to the original nook as well, so I'll bite. If you just want a straight picture book/photo album ebook, you can do it this way:

1. Put all the images you want in the book in the same folder.

2. Rename the images in the order you want them to appear, i.e. image1.jpg (1st image), image2.jpg (2nd image), etc. You may want to resize the photos for the screen at this point, but it's not absolutely necessary.

3. Add all the images to either a .zip or .rar file. The easiest way to do this in Windows is to select all the images, right-click, then chose "send to > compressed folder" or "add to zipped file". Name the file whatever you want and change the extension to .cbr for .rar files or .cbz for zip files, i.e. book.cbr (if originally book.rar) or book.cbz (if originally book.zip).

4. You can now run the file through calibre or another program like it to convert it to .epub.

I've done this with several photo albums I wanted to carry around. Just be carefull to choose images with enough contrast so you can see what they are if you load them onto the original nook.

So Calibre will convert and scale the images to the appropriate size automatically? Can you give me the dimensions of one of the images you used just for reference, I would really appreciate it

I hate how B&N holds a load of "enhanced" proprietary features exclusively for certain publishers. They wrote me an email saying that they are currently working on bringing some of these features to independent publishers in the near future.

Anyways, I just picked up the Nook Color yesterday so I am looking forward to experimenting soon.

Thanks guys.

Contributor
WBY3
0 Kudos

I have a book with 204 images (What Your Doctor Won't Tell You About Your Lower Back, if you want to look at the sample),and I had one heck of a time getting it uploaded.  You may want to look at the HTML discussion in these forums by jtorrence, aka man2010.  Also there is good info on the Kindle site.

What I ended up doing is writing in Word, using Word to save the file as filtered HTML, used SIGIL to modify the HTLM until it looked right and to fix the TOC.  That gave me an EPUB document that I used CALIBRE to change into MOBI for Kindle and to change to CALIBRE EPUB for Amazon and NOOK.  For some reason (maybe the great number of pictures and large size - 5 meg), the SIGIL version would not upload to Amazon, but the CALIBRE version did.

It's not perfect, as jtorrence has pointed out.  I could do some more housekeeping, but I'm happy with it for now.

Bill Yancey

What Your Doctor Won't Tell You About Your Lower Back

Correspondent
padr49904
0 Kudos

If you end up using sigil to edit your epubs I have a lot of experience with the coding to make the picture the size of the screen.  I have some books on my nook of pictures and other things I worked with for a while to make them stretch to the size of the screen and not cut anything off.