Reader 4
Petep11
0 Kudos

B&N or Smashwords

I have 4 books on Barnes and Noble. Three of them say 'via Smashwords.'  The 4th one does not. Do you have any idea why? I have all books on Smashwords as well.

Frequent Contributor
cale
0 Kudos

Re: B&N or Smashwords

If you use SmashWords, they publish at B&N for you. No offense, but how can you not know this? Isn't that why you used SW?

Reader 4
Petep11
0 Kudos

Then I have no need to upload on pubit?  I have sold on B&N as well as SW.

Reader 4
Petep11
0 Kudos

We published first on B&N. Later we published on SW.

Frequent Contributor
cale
0 Kudos

Oh, I see.

The best way to do things in my opinion is to avoid SW altogether and other aggregators like them for too many reasons to mention, but the main two are that their converter tends to output epubs that can't pass Epub Check, and seeing "SmashWords" anywhere in your title listing is a dead giveaway that you're self-publishing, and most people will avoid self-published books like a disease.

Good luck with it.

Correspondent
Strayer
0 Kudos

I published my book on B&N and Kindle. I then published on Smashwords for all the other ereaders. You can opt out easily, with the click of a mouse from having Smashwords publish on Pubit. They don't publish many ebook on Kindle, so you go direct in that case. Sometimes people forget to opt out the book shows up twice, one with Pubit and once with Smashwords. You can just delete either one.
Contributor
LaStade
0 Kudos

I opt out of B&N and Kindle on Smashwords like the previous poster says, because I am already on these sites.  Then Smashwords distributes your work to 4 or 5 other places in addition to their own site.  I love having my work all over the place and I don't care if people know I am a self publisher.  If you are good at what you do, people will find you.  My theory is the more exposure you have = more sales.  

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/c/lori-stade
Frequent Contributor
Money_Penny
0 Kudos

Yes, you do need to unclick B&N on your Smashwords account - you are double dipping; selling through two places hence the two versions.

Smashwords is an excellent opportunity to sell your work at many retailers, you are on the right track.

New User
KeatesNelson
0 Kudos

Thanks, I had the same problem. Just for anyone else--you go to Dashboard / Channel Manager / and then scroll to the bottom to choose or opt out of various retailers.