New User
tlblssn
0 Kudos

B&N planning to kill off the Nook

check this link and then follow the first link embedded in the message

http://news.yahoo.com/microsoft-may-willing-nook-off-barnes-noble-hands-131053068.html

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Um, NO

[ Edited ]

B&N is not "planning to kill off the nook", there is a RUMOR that MS is interested in buying the business.  That is all.  There has been no announcement of a deal.  We have no idea what B&N plans to do.

Frequent Contributor
goldenstatewriter
0 Kudos

Re: B&N planning to kill off the Nook

Yeah, there is a lot of talk about MS wanting to buy the Nook. I don't know if B&N is thinking of killing it off, to be honest I'm shocked they even want to sell it, but I've been getting the impression that NO ONE at B&N understands anything invented after the 70's.

The new website is proof that there is no one there who has any understanding of the internet nor how it works. I wrote them and got a reply, someone was supposed to contact me, (and did leave a message - once) as ecommerce is a very big part of what I make my living at (The websites I have dealt with make a lot more money than B&N as an example).

If B&N put me in charge of the Nook I'd have it profitable in a year (assuming it isn't already) and push it into big numbers in relatively short order. Look at Amazon, it's not rocket science. However the folks at B&N just don't have the skillset to understand what they're giving up here. Which is namely the future of B&N.

Frequent Contributor
EinsteinPD
0 Kudos

Why do you think BandN went to the trouble and expense oif creating NOOK Press, and substituting it for Pubit? It is easy to think BandN management has no understanding of how the Internet works etc., but they built up a large and once profitable business by knowing something about how business works. And I suggest they still do.

Microsoft has plenty of moiney but Bill Gates is no fool, and he is a very good businessman. Maybe you would acquire NOOK ebooks nbow, but he is too smart to. As time goes by and it continues toi shrivel up, he will be able to get it cheaper and cheaper. The question is, will he he ever want to get it at all?

Frequent Contributor
goldenstatewriter
0 Kudos

I have no idea why they went to the trouble of creating NookPress. I only know that they failed miserably and got taken to the cleaners by whomever did the coding, and the page is buggy and runs like crap. That it was never tested -at all- tells me that they had no idea what they were buying, or what they were doing.

As for making money? B&N is losing lots of it right now, they're in a tough market these days. The entire book sellers market has changed drastically in the last few years and it's adapt or die. Look at all the other book companies that have already gone out of business in the last two years. Companies that had been around for many many decades. All dead and gone.

B&N is fighting for survival right now.

As for Bill Gates, he doesn't run MS anymore. Other people do that. I'd ask my friends in Redmond, but they've all retired at this point and are living off of their MS millions. I can see where MS might decide they want it, but you never buy a failing business, because it's failing. B&N needs to prop the Nook up to make it look good if they want a buy out. They have to show value. The thing is, there is A LOT of value here. I just don't think the people at B&N can see it.

Which is very very sad. I want B&N to survive, I have a vested interest, as I sell A LOT of ebooks here on this site.

Frequent Contributor
SF50
0 Kudos

Rumor granted but enough of one to keep B&N's stock 25% to 30% higher for a couple days so there may actually be something to the rumor. At least if MS buys it maybe the keyword searches will function properly.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/05/09/technology/mobile/microsoft-nook-barnes-and-noble/?source=cnn_bin

Frequent Contributor
TSCerys
0 Kudos

I actually really like NookPress, but maybe I'm the only one.  I upload simple, clean epubs anyways, so I think that gets rid of most problems.

It doesn't really matter if they get rid of the Nook, either.  The storefront will still have e-books, which is essentially what people want to buy, you know?  There's already computer apps to read your B&N books on your computer/tablet/phone or whatever, so you don't even need a Nook currently.

The only thing they'd need to do is make account integration between different eReaders if the Nook "died" and MS took it over and made one.  Or if anyone took it over.  The Nook is basically just an accessory that's easily replaced by basically any other eReader.