Contributor
JayNuss
0 Kudos

BIG drop in sales & Tech Issues?

I know there are other posts similar but I have to reiterate this based on my own experiences.

I've been hit with a massive drop in sales figures, we are talking less than 1/4 of what I use to do, and this has been consistent since the tech. issues have begun.

Who else has seen this happen? I'd really like to take a tally or something because this is going to be an issue if it keeps up much longer.

To clear a few things up, just to cut through the "possibilities" here:

I've had steady sales for months now, there is no real fluxuation in sales figures due to the number of books published, marketing efforts, and other various factors I won't bother with here... just know, that isn't an issue for me in this quest to find out what is going on here, it has to be something else. I keep very close logs of sales figures for daily, weekly, and monthly stats and at the bare minimum what I'm seeing now doesn't even come close to what it should be.

Also, I have to ask... has anybody had any success with publishing a new book, editing a current one, or anything of that nature? I get that familiar err. message every single time no matter when I try.

My big concern though is the sales figures. It's making me re-evaluate sticking with nook as a means to publish. This is simply unacceptable.

Reader
RicardoRS
0 Kudos

Re: BIG drop in sales & Tech Issues?

Ive experienced the same problem.  Folks have told me point blank that theyve bought my book and its not showing the sales.

Contributor
JayNuss
0 Kudos

It seems like some progress has been made on the Technical Issues (for the moment) ...still not perfect but I was able to make adjustments to perform some tests on sales. If there is no change in stats as a result of this then there will be no shadow of a doubt something fishy is going on here. Be it unresolved technical issues or what-have-you. 

Contributor
ARose23
0 Kudos

I've had the same problem.  I think I have had sales that are not showing up and they are keeping more money than they should.  There is no way I go consistently from over $100 a day to $25 a day when the tech issues began around the storm, and then sales don't come back.  Something fishy is going on with Pubit and maybe they should be audited.

Contributor
JayNuss
0 Kudos

thats so strang, nearly the exact same thing is happening to me... with nearly identical figures!
Contributor
DoyleH
0 Kudos

I absolutely agree that sales for whatever reasons are not reported to us accurately. You'd think this would cause publishers to leave Pubit in droves and while some have left over it, the majority see the problem but continue with the platform. I think this mostly has to do with holding out hope that the problem will correct itself but this continues to not be the case. Even with so many of us seeing clearly that sales do not come even close to being where they should be, using every logical gauge available {compared to other outlets, factoring in increases in published books, our promotional push and time of year}, there are still those publishers who post often here who are giving Pubit "an out" in this regard. They come in behind those who express their legitimate concerns and they patronize those concerns. This has resulted in Pubit taking them far less seriously. If more publishers had collectively demanded deeper investigation and the hyper complimentary publishers were not shooting down those efforts, it is my belief that the lack in sales reporting would have been more thoroughly investigated a long time ago. Companies simply don't investigate problems that increase their revenue unless an obvious negative consequence becomes imminent.

Contributor
JayNuss
0 Kudos

Well put, I honestly could not agree with you more on the matter. These are by no means minor issues, quite the opposite in-fact. They need to be addressed as such. What I am wondering is if anyone has experienced a change for the better in their sales reports? I have resorted to testing (as marketing is apart of what I do) to see if sales figured would receive a boost, and they have. However... not as high as I would have imagined, but this could also simply be a result of other factors. I'd really like it if anyone who has seen a slope in sales, then a rise to let us know. I'm very curious.
Frequent Contributor
raines
0 Kudos

Same problem here. Big drop in sales sence the tech problems

Frequent Contributor
Angela_Beegle
0 Kudos

I've noticed this: when I can't view my bookshelf, I have no sales. I know about the vagaries of online ebook sales, and that they go up and down. I also know December is usually slow. That's fine. But zero sales one day ('technical problems,' can't see my bookshelf) followed by a normal number the next day (can see bookshelf), followed by zero again? There seems to be a correlation. My sales were fabulous (for me) last month: 212 for the month over all titles.  This month? A mere 20 so far, and half of December has been Technical Issues days.

Frequent Contributor
Darkbow
0 Kudos

My sales seem to be down compared to the last few months, but not drastically so, maybe 10 or 15 percent. I'm experiencing the same at other distributors, and figured it was just a slow time before holiday sales kick in heavy. Or maybe I'm selling like hotcakes and my numbers are way off.

Either way, I do tend to get my sales in bunches. I might go a day or two or sometimes even three without any sales reported whatsoever, then BAM, in one day I'll rack up a ton of sales. Just figured that was BN's usual slowness.

tyjohnston.blogspot.com