Contributor
Mari_Belle
0 Kudos

Book Sales Plunge since Sandy

My sales went from 144 on October 30th to 6 on October 31st.  A complete and utter plunge.  Anyone else having this problem?  

Contributor
bookgirl2000
0 Kudos

Re: Book Sales Plunge since Sandy

Yes. In over a year I've never had a zero day. Yesterday I had a zero day. Today I sold a few, yet not even close to what I normally do. :smileysad:

Contributor
Bonnie_S_Mata
0 Kudos

Do you all think it’s because of the technical problems that they’ve been having?
And if so… will those sales show on those days after they fix the problem? Like a recover?
Or is it possible that those sales will not post at all and will be lost?
I just released a book, and I know that family and friends bought, but I’m still showing ZERO!
I’m hoping that I can go back to yesterday 10-31 and hope to see that they made an adjustment from ZERO to something.
Contributor
bookgirl2000
0 Kudos

I don't know. I was hoping that when I woke up this morning the sale would be there. I'd like to see what others are experiencing. The day I had zero, I spoke to someone who had one sale, yet she got it very early in the day, perhaps before the glitch.

Contributor
WriteByNight

Please be aware that this company is based in New York, and that most of the Eastern Seaboard (a huge book-buying area) has been wiped out. People are not really thinking about anything but surviving. If your sales have suddenly slumped, that may tell you that your main readership is on the East Coast. This will rebound over time, but . . . reading is a low priority when you have no home, no power, and can't really go anywhere because all the infrastructure is ruined.
Contributor
Mari_Belle
0 Kudos

I understand that the hurricane would affect sales from the East coast buyers--makes total sense.  BUT people buy my books from all over the US so it seems implausible that sales would drop by 95%.  My amazon sales have not changed a bit.  Barnes & Noble appears to be having some accounting issues and if due to the storm is understandable, but a message would be appreciated from them addressing a problem I would think.  Remember, if they are not selling our books, then they are not making any money either.  It's a major problem.

Contributor
bookgirl2000
0 Kudos

My Amazon sales are also about the same.

Contributor
happycampers2
0 Kudos

We did not notice any significant drop in sales until the 31st.  This is typical for us though, we had the same thing happen last Halloween.  Our books are all children's books and I attribute the drop in sales to the fact that most of our readers are probably busy Trick r' Treating on Halloween.  Our Amazon books had the same results.  Sales for November 1st and 2nd are back to typical rates.

Reader
KaizerSS
0 Kudos

It's comforting to see this post, I came here because I am experiencing a similar issue. I am used to regular sales, rarely have a "0" sale day, the last few days I haven't had anything. Hopefully just slow reporting......

Fingers crossed for now.

New User
BethanyAan
0 Kudos

I've been wondering about this, as well. I KNOW that I've had sales, because people have told me they've bought the book and a few days later we've discussed things that they wouldn't know unless they'd read it. And yet I'm showing no sales at all for November.

However, having worked at B&N many years ago and having taken many business classes, I know that all big businesses have backup stations in various parts of the country or world. The hurricane affected New York and New Jersey, but from Jersey down, things are back on track and working.

I'm just curious about how the royalties will pan out for this month, if they didn't have proper back-ups?

Reader
thirty-five
0 Kudos

Hmmm ... may be they change the book ranking algorithm? Can someone make an example book title that used to sell high but now does not?

Frequent Contributor
1001nights
0 Kudos

Yeah, quite a few of my books used to sell 1-2 copies a day. Now I haven't registered a single sale since ealry November. I've made half as much money this month as I did the first month a year ago when I had only one title, and now I have 16.

What can I say? Yay for Amazon, I guess. Sales are fine there.

I have been emailing BN, about 4 different email addreses, for FIVE MONTHS about reviews not being tallied properly--i.e., the reviews are there, they show up, but only at the bottom of the page, and the star ranking isn't tallied and at the top of the page it still says "Be the first to review this book" and if you do a general search, it looks like the books have no reviews at all. Five months. Twice I've had the message "We're aware of these issues and the technical team is working on it." So, either that's simply not true, or their website is too complex for their own technical team to manage. Neither explanation is very encouraging.

I'd go entirely with Amazon's Select program except that my books do well on Apple.

Reader
thirty-five
0 Kudos

Me neither. I used to be able to sell 1 - 3 copies per day, but none now. By the way, since you mention Apple. Do you submit yourself or go to some other channel to submit to iBookstore? If so, which channel you use? 

Thanks. 

Distinguished Correspondent
Mrs-Smith
0 Kudos

To get your books into Apple/Sony you'll need to go through Smashwords.

Contributor
hippiechick7897LG
0 Kudos

Well I feel really bad reading this now. My book has been out for five days and I am still not showing any sales on any days.
Fans of the romance the genre can check out my works here:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/c/lisa-groves
Distinguished Correspondent
Mrs-Smith
0 Kudos

Selling our books is like riding a roller coaster, Only less fun. This time of the year just happens to be the dip. While a few will still trickle in sales, for the most part, it'll pick up again after Christmas/earlyJanuary.

Frequent Contributor
TSCerys

Just to add, you can get your books into the iBookstore through Lulu.com, too.  I use Smashwords currently, but I'm going to try out Lulu for some stuff since I've heard good things.

Both, though, are honestly a pain compared to submitting stuff yourself(which you can do, but it's a huge hassle to START doing it, so that's probably not worth it, either).

Frequent Contributor
JMChristopher
0 Kudos

Mrs-Smith - Thank you for this. I noticed that too last year. It's strange to think that during the holiday shopping season we would see sales slip, but it's true. While I am still selling more books this year than I did at this same time last year, I have noticed a surprising dip in what I was selling over the summer and even into September. I'm glad to see that someone else has optimism (hopefully because you've been doing this for multiple years) that things will pick up again come January.
Frequent Contributor
JMChristopher
0 Kudos

Also, the EASIEST way to get your book onto iTunes and Sony is through Smashwords. That's what I use. However, it isn't the only way. You can always go directly to iTunes, but it is a real hassle and I think much most time and cost effective just to do it through Smashwords who'll distribute to both.

I've tried Lulu before, but haven't had as much success with them. But that was a couple years ago, so they may be different now. Give them a shot... and report back if you have success.

Frequent Contributor
Money_Penny
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I believe the seasonal dip is a real factor, but I think the ebook market is changing over time, and we are feeling it in our sales (all technical issues aside).