Frequent Contributor
ribbons55
0 Kudos

Book page hijacked by chatting tweens.

The review section on the page for one of my books has been hijacked by what appears to be kids using it as a chat room.  I have reported every  one of their comments using the link provided but they are multiplying by the hour.  Unfortunately, every time they submit a review (a suggestive comment), they rank it using the stars and it is hammering the ratings little by little.  Fortunately, most have used 4 or 5 stars.  Is there anything else I can do to stop this??

The Red Serge Novels
http://bit.ly/12UgIRh
Distinguished Correspondent
Mrs-Smith
0 Kudos

Re: Book page hijacked by chatting tweens.

I think all of us have been hit by these random chat room ratings. Mine have been there (reported and flagged) since I published the book in October. I've never gotten a response, but they did come to an end after only four or five "reviews"

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you.

Frequent Contributor
ribbons55
0 Kudos

They're now up to 37 comments and the ratings for the book are falling.  Fortunately, they are not clicking one or two stars every time.  But, thanks for the info. 

The Red Serge Novels
Frequent Contributor
1001nights
0 Kudos

Yup--the thing is, many chat sites (even things like gmail) are blocked by some schools. But the Barnes & Noble site isn't--so kids use that. It hasn't happened to any of my books yet (touch wood!) but I've seen it happen to others. The weirdest are the Warrior Cats ones--it's like a roleplaying game about feral cats.

I can't get PubIt to answer any email I send about anything, so I'm reluctant to suggest that you contact them. I mean, you could, but I don't think you'd get a response. I suppose you probably should anyway. Maybe email them once a week and keep a log of it all, and then in a few months submit it all to some popular blogger? Perhaps the attention would shame them into taking those reviews down?

Correspondent
Strayer
0 Kudos

I'm no help. This just makes me angry.
Frequent Contributor
ribbons55
0 Kudos

Thanks for the suggestion.  That's a good idea, emailing and keeping track of it.  I would never have imagined that BN and their Pubit! site would be so unprofessional when dealing with matters like this.

The Red Serge Novels
Frequent Contributor
1001nights
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Yeah, for a while I emailed four different email addresses every week, keeping the email chain. Just after Hurricane Sandy, I got an autobot response saying they couldn't answer because of the Hurricane. Fair enough. But that doesn't explain why they hadn't answered since July (or, well, ever again).

I think they just don't have any staff, and also don't care about us. Middle school kids play their Warrior Cats; we authors and small presses post books. We post in the same place; we get the same amount of attention from Barnes & Noble.

From their point of view, it doesn't matter if our books look good or function correctly or ever sell at all. If a customer doesn't buy Book A (one of ours), they'll just buy Book B instead (something form a trad publisher--who probably pays BN in the form of advertising or something anyway, which we can't). But whether we make $10 or $100 or $1000 or $0 just doesn't matter to them. So why spend any money hiring staff to answer our questions? Or fix our problems?

As long as it doesn't cost you money to put your books here (that you're not already spending to put them on Amazon, for example), and the frustration doesn't send you round the twist, there's no big reason not to publish here. So you could look at it that way. And then have another glass of wine. And go write the next book. :smileywink: