Contributor
kaitnolan

Books not searchable by keyword

I have a number of keywords listed for each of my titles, Devil's Eye and Forsaken By Shadow.  The latter was published via Pubit at the end of October and has NEVER been findable by any of the keywords I have listed (separated by commas as the instructions indicate), and Devil's Eye, which was published in late December, is searchable ONLY by the first search term in the list.  (I've just entered every single keyword I have listed and checked).  Which means that no one is finding my books unless they are looking specifically FOR them.  

Is anyone else having this problem?  Anybody know who I need to contact for assistance?

Frequent Contributor
sayndee
0 Kudos

Re: Books not searchable by keyword

Yes! I probably drove them nuts about it...could only find my books if my name was typed in...but I found that I could sometimes find them under release date or pricing....Try that. I was told that they have so many books up, that the system doesn't always bring every book up under key words...it is more of a random thing...sometimes mine show up and sometimes they don't...Hope this helps.

Elaine
Contributor
kaitnolan

[ Edited ]

That is absolutely no solution.  I can find my books perfectly well.  The fact that they do not come up under any of the keywords I provide is hurting my sales from other people who are not looking specifically for me.  No one searches for books to buy based on release date.  Why the heck do they even ask us to provide keywords in our listing if their system is not capable of using them?  I'm incredibly frustrated by this and would love a true SOLUTION from BN themselves.  I mean, for the love of God, Amazon doesn't have a problem with this.  In fact, Amazon doesn't have ANY of the problems that Pubit has had.  If they truly want to be a competitor, they need to fix their system.

Frequent Contributor
sayndee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I did not mean it as a solution. i emailed them numerous times...They are a little busy, working on just getting our sales pages to work properly. I totally sympathize with you. I am in SAME boat! Many of us are. Was just telling you what is...all you can do is tell them -- pubit@bn.com

Hopefully, the situation will get better...

One also has to take into account the numerous authors and books listed. But as I mentioned previously, because there ARE so many books and authors, not all are brought up every time! They are chosen randomly, basically, by the system.Of course, known authors have no problem. Since their books are bestsellers, they are listed first because of their high rankings!  This is what they told me! i don't like it either.And I was mad as a hornet at first -- as I sense you are -- but there isn't much one can do about it. The best thing your can do is PROMOTE you books as best you can and get them known so others can and will look for them...I have been working for weeks on my website...and had to invest a certain amunt of money, hopefully, to draw attentiont to my books! If you haven't done this, then it might be something for you to consider.Nevertheless, I sincerely wish you good luck!

Elaine
Contributor
kaitnolan
0 Kudos

Sorry.  Precaffeine and seriously ticked this morning. 

I just think that's a total copout on their part.  They did not invest the necessary time and money in this system before they rolled it out, and it's showing.  If you search for, say, "zombies" on Amazon, you get every freaking possible product result that is even peripherally related to zombies.  There is no reason whatsoever that the same shouldn't be true here. 

I've had a quite successful promotion campaign, to which I can attribute the sales I have had (since obviously the only way anyone is finding me is if they are looking specifically for me or my books), but I am, as you say, mad as a hornet that this is even an issue.  I guarantee their "random" selection automatically promotes those titles that are already selling well, which is a serious detriment to anyone with a new release or low sales.

I'm also trying to figure out why the "customers who bought this also bought" feature is not available to Pubit titles.  It's only on traditionally pubbed books.  Seems pretty exclusionary to me.  It really feels like the difference between Amazon and BN is that Amazon has realized that self-pubbed work has the opportunity to be a HUGE moneymaker, and they've done everything they can to smooth the process and make sure that those books are found--which is a win on both sides.  It seems that BN is still very much focused on just promoting the work of traditionally published authors and has not fully embraced the system they've started in terms of integrating it truly into their business model and website.

Contributor
kaitnolan
0 Kudos

Received email from databaseerrors@bn.com.  This seems to be the correct one to address this issue. 

Of course all the person did was tell me exactly what I'd just told him in my email rather than actually addressing the issue.  Sigh.   Wishing that this person had actually READ my email the first time. So waiting on another response...