Contributor
TylerC
0 Kudos

Code is seen when viewing the manuscript

[ Edited ]

Hey guys,

First of all, I think Nook Press is an amazing thing!  My author and I wouldn't have been able to sell our book on the Nook if it wasn't for this!  It allows us to customize it however we want it!

One problem though.  Let me explain everything first. 

When I first started editing my manuscript, everything looked good throughout the whole book when I viewed it.  Then I started splitting the chapters.  Now when I view the manuscript, it is filled with code for the first 40 pages.  The rest of the book is fine.  And when I go back to look in the Manuscript editor, the code is not present. 

I wanted to see if anyone knew what is going on here.  Will this code be viewable when I set it to sell?  I want to make sure that this is just the sample and will not appear in the final version because I don't want to have to reedit the whole thing again when I have to remove it and start from scratch. 

I have attached a photo so you can see what my problem is. 

Untitled.png

Distinguished Correspondent
Mrs-Smith
0 Kudos

Re: Code is seen when viewing the manuscript

Without actually looking at your epub file, I would only be guessing as to the cause of why code showing up. Have you tried to sideload it onto an actual device? if possible, you should always sideload and never fully trust what you see with the online previewers.

Frequent Contributor
TomRichardson
0 Kudos

Two days ago, I uploaded a 193 kb EPUB that had been blessed by EPUBCHECK. Before I officially published my EPUB, I used Manuscript Editor just to look at the EPUB; I didn't change anything. When I clicked "PUBLISH," I first clicked the button that said "Use the file I uploaded" instead of "Use the book as changed by Manuscript Editor." But despite that, what was published was a 725 kb EPUB file with garbage in it. Today I wound up re-uploading the flawless 193 kb EPUB file, and now everything's fine. If you want to write for EPUB, then I suggest that you each download Calibre ebook-conversion software, and email each other revised HTML versions of your book. At least for now, Manuscript Editor is a snakepit.
New User
anicelady
0 Kudos

I didn't know you could upload the epub file without letting the Manuscript Editor chew it up. Did you just retry uploading the original epub and it finally worked?

I went through and used the manuscript editor, creating chapters with it and everything, and ended up with a document that looked great in the previewer. It even looked okay once it was on a Product Page for sale - that is, it looked great as a sample. When I actually bought the book, there was suddenly html on the title page.

I'm letting Smashwords distribute because I think this is completely unworkable now. UNLESS it is possible to directly load an epub without this interface mucking it up.

Frequent Contributor
TomRichardson
0 Kudos

I didn't know you could upload the epub file without letting the Manuscript Editor chew it up. Did you just retry uploading the original epub and it finally worked?

[snip]

I'm letting Smashwords distribute because I think this is completely unworkable now. UNLESS it is possible to directly load an epub without this interface mucking it up.

I don't remember what exactly I did yesterday, but today I had to reload the EPUB (because of a new cover). It turns out my Pubit account is still active, so I did the upload from there.

On paper, Manuscript Editor is a great idea—you can write a book without having to know HTML1 or HTML5, or validating your HTML, or bothering with cryptic EPUBCHECK. But in practice, Manuscript Editor is buggy. I've basically decided to do all my publishing work through Pubit, skipping the Nook Press interface completely, right up to the day when trying to go to Pubit gets me a 404 error.