Contributor
Bonnie_S_Mata
0 Kudos

Communication is VERY important

Communication is VERY important with ANYTHING in life.
One cannot guess what is happening and One cannot assume!
Since there is no 800 number to call and if there is no manpower to respond to emails, I would suggest UPDATES posting on this board. That would put authors at ease, in keeping us in the loop, because we know that things happen that are beyond control, but you if let us know, what is going on and that B&N is working on the issues that would put everyone at ease.

Thank you!

Inspired Contributor
TheReluctantCritic
0 Kudos

Re: Communication is VERY important

They simply don't care. I've been telling you people this for two years now. PubIt! does NOT care about indie authors. They just don't.

Contributor
WriteByNight
0 Kudos

Please do understand that this company is based in New York City. They may not have homes, or power, or any ability to get to work. When this is the situation, a little patience is required. Whatever the issue is, put it on the board. You a way more likely to get a response that way, especially now.
Inspired Contributor
TheReluctantCritic
0 Kudos

With all due respect, this problem of PubIt! not communicating with its authors goes back to the very beginning. It has NOTHING to do with this storm. Storm or no storm, PubIt! doesn't respond. Don't cloud the issue.

Contributor
happycampers2
0 Kudos

I agree that communication is extremely important and I have read many posts in this forum from authors who are frustrated with the lack of communication coming from the Pubit team.  I do understand it though.  Barnes and Noble has to consider the costs of communication and the value they get from such communication.  You don’t have to spend much time in this forum to realize that the majority of requests on here come from authors who represent a relatively low percentage of their overall Pubit sales.  It’s the whole 80/20 rule.  80% of your costs are bringing in only 20% of your revenue.

We don’t pay for a Pubit subscription, the service is provided for free and then self-help resources are made available for us to figure out our problems for ourselves.  I notice that on Amazon, they seem much more responsive to their indie author’s requests.  This comes at a price though.  Amazon does not pay me as high a royalty for the books I sell there.  If you ask me, I’d rather have the royalties than the occasional help solving a problem that often times I can eventually figure out for myself.

Inspired Contributor
TheReluctantCritic
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Wow, wow, wow. You're a PubIt! apologist if there ever was one.

Yeah, if you're selling books at 99 cents or less, you're making more money here. But if you have any respect for your own work at all, you're between $2.99 and $9.99 and making only 65% compared to Amazon's 70%. That shoots your argument down right there.

Amazon is so many notches above Barnes & Noble in EVERY respect that it's not even funny. Amazon will be around five years from now. Barnes & Noble will, by then, be a bad memory.

Amazon has tools to help indie authors sell books. PubIt! offers very little. Amazon responds to nearly every support query. PubIt! responds to very few, almost none of them at all.

Your argument is weak, weak, weak.

Contributor
MCoorlim
0 Kudos

Despite the chip on your shoulder, BN earns me 40% of my income, so I'll keep using them for the duration, thank you very much.

Inspired Contributor
TheReluctantCritic
0 Kudos

If you claim to make more money on PubIt! than you do on KDP, then I 100% doubt your veracity.

Frequent Contributor
1001nights
0 Kudos

Maybe if they could solve our problems, they could sell more of our books--and thus make more money off us. I have a title that's in the top 1000 paid on Amazon. On BN? Hasn't sold one. Not one. Possibly because there's a problem with the paperback listing. I've been emailing since JULY about it. I can't even get an answer. Maybe once a month I get an autoresponder that says something like "Our team is working on it." But it's a blow-off. They just. do. not. care.

A Barnes & Noble store employee told me that last quarter, the only thing that kept them in the black was sales of 50 Shades of Grey--which started as in indie title. There IS money to be made off indies. But, just like any books, you have to handle them well.

I still list books here, when I have a free moment and I remember to, and if for some reason I can't or don't want to put them into Kindle Select. That's only because it doesn't lose me any money to upload them here. But I don't even bother to check my sales every week anymore. On Amazon, I check every day, because the numbers go up every day. The book listings even look better on BN--so why can't they sell books? Why is everyone making more money off Amazon? I would think they would be interested in the answer to that question. Instead, they blow us off and let kids play "Warrior Cats" in their reviews. This could be such a great place. I truly do not get why it isn't. They could even get college interns working for free who could help them. SOMEthing.

Contributor
MCoorlim
0 Kudos

I would have agreed with you until July of this year, TheReluctantCritic. Since then I've made 40% through Pubit and 40% through Amazon US + UK + DE. I make the other 20% through Smashwords, its affiliates, and Kobo.

I will definitely say that the titles that do well on Amazon are different from the titles that do well on the nook. Why that is, I have no idea.

Sometimes I make more through KDP and sometimes a little more through Pubit, but there's never more than a $50 difference.
Reader
joi78
0 Kudos

It must be nice to at lease have a book on B&N. I submitted my first book to Pubit Friday before last and haven't heard anything yet. Thinking maybe I did something wrong I went through and checked the formatting and submitted it yet again. It's been close to two weeks and still no word. Heck of a way to run a company, really tacky. My sales have been slamming on Amazon though.
Contributor
MCoorlim
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

If it makes you feel better you wouldn't be selling anything with only one book anyway. Gotta build a library before you start seeing a profit, unless you're really lucky.

Pubit isn't perfect. Not saying they are. I've been sending them email after email to get them to remove some of my work that's off-sale in Pubit out of the UK nook store.

But give them a break, man, they've just been through a hurricane, and they were only a day or so late with my October payment.

Inspired Contributor
TheReluctantCritic
0 Kudos

PubIt! doesn't need any excuses. They've offered terrible service from their very first day of business.

It has NOTHING to do with any storm.

End of story.

Contributor
MCoorlim
0 Kudos

Their customer service is awful, but if you honestly believe that their present issues have NOTHING to do with the storm, your cognitive dissonance is reaching critical levels and I suggest you seek therapy.