Frequent Contributor
JimLow
0 Kudos

Continued Decrease in Sales (How are yours going?)

[ Edited ]

Here again, I'm going back on a commitment not to post regarding sales however, what turned me around on that decision was my getting a response today, after inquiring with Pubit! Team regarding my account, asking that they recheck to make sure my sales commissions are accruing correctly. The response came 36 days after I sent the inquiry and they responded in saying that all is operating correctly and up-to-date. I do appreciate getting the response.

I'm certain they knew my question was legitimate because I received a back-payment for e-book sales for $241.14 -- my largest payment to-date two months ago, for sales that somehow failed to make it to My Sales tab for previous months, that were located after I inquired with them similarly.

Now, this month, I have had a 7 day stretch of no sales (very unusual) and my sales at Pubit! compared to kindle is again a 10 to 1 ratio (to be exact, 6 units, compared to 62 units).

It is very possible that the surge of sales for the first months (I'm also averaging my back-payment into those first months), were due to the newness of availability however, the opposite has been true at other sellers -- an ongoing but gradual increase. It's also possible that customers have had issues while the system has been tweaked to better efficiency and this caused a slow-down. If this is the case we may yet see an increase over time.

How are sales going for you -- my fellow publishers?

Frequent Contributor
dogg12345
0 Kudos

Re: Continued Decrease in Sales (How are yours going?)

[ Edited ]

Jim,

mine have been low since the second week of April.

I am current selling half of what I used to sell.

The months of January, February and March were stellar for me. But then April came and BAM!

Sales were sliced in half. And it's been that way ever since.

Some days even worse. It used to stress me so much back when the low sales first started, but then I decided not to worry myself to death and just focus on putting out more content instead.

Sales on Amazon Kindle now outpace my pubit sales, which wasn't the case before.

Oh, well.

Frequent Contributor
JimLow
0 Kudos

Yeah dogg,

That's about the same timing as my decreases.

I'm sure the economy has much to do with it as well.

Same as you -- I'm continuing to publish more in the face of this. It seems when you accomplish gains in one area, you see a drop in another but if we keep adding titles to our published works, eventually we'll get ahead of it and hopefully maintain descent sales.

I'll also add that the content sites I publish articles on, that pay both adsense share and by page-view calculations, have also seen significant decreases. I'm hoping we see an improvement in the recession or depression that's been ongoing -- not the pretend improvements some in government have claimed were occurring but some real economy turn-arounds (about 8% unemployment rate right now)! Everyone who believes in praying, should add it to their prayer-list!

Distinguished Correspondent
Mrs-Smith
0 Kudos

Sales? Really? Are we supposed to have them with Pubit? Odd. I thought this was just a place to put my book on a virtual shelf. Cause that's all it is here.

Author
novelimagination
0 Kudos

I've tried changing my keywords here and on Amazon. It's picked up on Amazon. Here...nothing.

The Chimney Still Stands on "eStands" everywhere! :smileyhappy:

AND...I am now available for Virtual Author Visits via Skype!
Frequent Contributor
JimLow
0 Kudos

The lowest sales I have ever experienced were at the Google Ebook store, where most of my titles also appear. I'm not the only one who experienced this -- other publishers there have complained about no sales there, on their forums.

I actually removed my titles from their store for months due to thinking it was absolutely impossible for Google to not accomplish more than about 4 units sales over several months period.

I placed them back up in the Editions Ebook Store just this week, due to them adding availability in several more countries but I'm not too hopeful. As huge as Google is, it just really surprized me that sales were near zilch there. Pubit! does far better for my titles than they did, although I'm still also surpized at the drop that has happened here.

Over time, Pubit! may still make gains on Amazon and no offense intended toward B&N but kindle seems to still hold the magic at this point. Still, I have confidence that Pubit! will gain strength over time and even currently, I'm happy for the exposure and supplemental sales I'm getting through them now. My April payment that arrived at end of May - beginning of June, was about $120.00, so I really have nothing to complain about, despite the decreases from past months.

(I hope it's not too uncouth to quote my payout amount but I didn't want it to sound like sales were as low as I refer-to regarding Google Ebooks.)

Frequent Contributor
driverlikejehu
0 Kudos

Monthly totals have continued to get bigger and bigger for me at Amazon and smaller and smaller here at Nook- each month it's been a decease of @ 10-20% from the month previous- hoping with the new Nook and Father's day things will begin to pick up. My real hope is that this year is for nook what last year was for Kindle- big sales jump with Father's Day, new apple products and eventually Christmas...

Frequent Contributor
tommytowery
0 Kudos

Here's my track record for Pubit sales in 2011

122 books in January

178 books in February

120 books in March

51 books in April

29 in May

14 so far in June

in the meantime, my Amazon Kindle sales have

103 books in January

120 books in February

162 book in March

166 books in April

221 in May

201 so far in June

It does not seem quite right for sales to increase on one site and decrease on another in the way they have.

Frequent Contributor
dogg12345
0 Kudos

@ tommy, 

....BOOM! there you go!!

APRIL is where sales took a PLUNGE for me too!

hmmm...

Frequent Contributor
JimLow
0 Kudos

My sales as of today, 21st of June are 77 units Amazon and 9 units Pubit!, so this is approximately 89% compared to 11% of sales.

Previously, my sales between the two were much tighter, I would estimate that they were about 60% Amazon and 40% Pubit!, so yes, the difference has been significant.

Very hard to explain in light of the Pubit! team reassurring us that the system is keeping up on accrued sales. I have no doubt that they are more eager than we, to see increases back to the level of previous months. We do know that they have placed great effort into fixing glitches and improving the system. With time things should change for the better because increase is the logical direction for this to go. Let's hope we also see the U.S. economy improve as well. 

Contributor
DianaTrees
0 Kudos

My own sales are off, way off. But then, my stories appeal to a very niche audience. Non-sparkly vampires are not the most popular at this time. But for me, this is more of a hobbie and a mission: I want to take the vampire back from the sparkly crowd, and make them the inhuman monsters that they supposed to be.

And yeah. I liked Nosferatu.

Diana Trees My Blog
Vampires don't sparkle. They eat people.
Divine Wine Vampire Erotica
Bloodfetish Erotic Stories and Poetry

Frequent Contributor
JimLow
0 Kudos

I just read yesterday morning, in my state newspaper, that B&N has experienced sales decreases, for several quarters, due to the Borders book stores chain, liquidating their inventories. Apparently these stores have been selling huge numbers of titles, at greatly reduced prices.

One might wonder why this would affect ebook sales and the likely answer is because same or similar titles are usually available in both print and ebook form, so most shoppers will opt for a physical copy if the price is at near give-away prices.

This is what B&N has been contending with and hopefully these stores will be emptied soon and not affecting our sales on Pubit!.

The story was an eye-opener for me but hopefully as B&N gains more of the book market, things will turn around for all of us.

Frequent Contributor
tommytowery
0 Kudos

I  have come up with a new theory about the decrease in Barnes and Noble sales. I have an android tablet along with my Nook Color. My android can download and run the Kindle for Android software. I wonder how many people are doing that and bypassing the Nook for Android system in favor of the Kindle site.

Jue sales as of 24 June:

Kindle = 260 books

Pubit = 20

Same titles, same price, go figure.

Frequent Contributor
tommytowery
0 Kudos

Re: Continued Decrease in Sales (Could Search Engine Be the Problem?)

I just did a search on my books' titles and not a one of them showed up in a search. That would explain a lot about why they are not selling. In the past all of them have shown up.

Frequent Contributor
JimLow
0 Kudos

Re: Continued Decrease in Sales (Could Search Engine Be the Problem?)

Tommy,

My ratios as of today (June 26) are similar to yours.

Amazon: 92

B&N: 12 (this doesn't include in-print books but CS doesn't itemize where all sales come from)

For several previous months my total book sales between all of my sellers was running between 175 and 200, so "I feel your pain".

Still, I can't help but to feel that things will turn around and Pubit! sales will increase back to the pre-decrease levels (and hopefully even surpass them). I'm just going to keep adding to my titles -- in fact I submitted a new one to Pubit! today.

Yes, it's concerning but we must keep moving forward, the best we possibly can.

Correspondent
Strayer
0 Kudos

Borders will either keep going or go down in July.

Baker and Taylor along with BN are making ebook lending and borrowing easier at libraries with Axis 360. They will have epub format in the fall. There wasn't a lot of information in the Publisher's Weekly article.

This has to be a boon to BN.

Frequent Contributor
JimLow
0 Kudos

I needed to update, to say that Pubit! issued/released a second payment to me, in addition to the one due, for sales that had not yet made it to my sales tab. These were books I knew should have been selling and apparently they were.

I appreciate them tracking the stragglers down and applying them to my sales tab. This makes sales much closer to what they were pre -- the decrease. Again, this is likely still part of the tweaking of the system that has yet to bring it to perfection.

I'm greatful for the update to my sales and relieved to see titles I knew should be selling, were indeed seeing purchases.

Thank you.

Frequent Contributor
tommytowery
0 Kudos

Jim,

How did you get them to do that and who did you contact?

Tommy Towery

Frequent Contributor
JimLow
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Tommy,

I actually did not contact them this time -- the additional sales they tracked simply appeared as a secondary payment listed as "June 2011". They did this, to show it as being separate from my "May 2011" payment. The reason I know this is because when I received my "December 2010/January 2011" payment, a secondary one showed up as "March 2011", which also consisted of sales that did not make it to my sales tab but that were apparently tracked down later. In that case I did write them before-hand in mid/late January, stating that I felt sales were not accruing properly in my account.

Technically I did write them about it again before this latest secondary payment was issued but, that was probably six weeks ago and the reply I received about two weeks ago stated that my account and tabs were operating correctly.

I really don't think they went back and re-read that email (not with the volume their getting) but I feel they simply saw unit-sales that were not yet applied to my sales tab. I have 40 titles on Pubit! and so if there is a delay at times, of sales being applied to publisher's accounts, this would affect me likely more-so than publisher's with only one or a few titles.

In all honesty, I don't feel they have the system and final accounting operating as smoothly as desired by them and us but I'm keeping my hopes up that the bugs will be worked out of it for future months. It's very concerning to think sales might be lost in the shuffle so-to-speak but I honestly also do not believe it would ever be purposeful on their part. They have a historical reputation to uphold that I don't believe they would ever risk over 100 years later and I believe they want this publishing platform to work correctly as much as we do.

If they had wanted to withhold sales from me, they would not have issued me the second payment and the titles list of the additional sales that were tracked down. I have no idea what's causing the delayed or missed accruing of them but as long as they make it right in the end, I will certainly continue with them.

Could they be missing sales for lots of publishers or at least delaying them due to system issues? I've said in previous posts, that yes, I believe this has occurred. So what are our options in regard to this?

1. We can write to the Pubit! email address with our concerns, so they can double-check our accrued sales.

2. We can give them more time to improve/perfect the new system and our sales tabs.

3. We can take our books off sale in protest.

In my opinion, the former two are a better formula because I honestly believe they are doing their best and will correct any past discrepancies as they discover them. Over time, I feel there will be more benefit realized between we publishers and Pubit!, so we need to be patient for as long as we possibly can.

Tommy, I realize you in no-way implied any of the things I mention above, so my adding them, was for the sake of other publishers who tune-in to this updated thread.

I apologize for such a lengthy post! I do wish you and everyone the best in getting their sales tabs corrected if and when needed.

(BTW: the email I use is pubit@bn.com, which I suspect you already have. That's the only contact info I have ever had for them. A funny note: I received the additional back-payment in my bank but not the main payment for May. It will likely arrive by mid next week -- if not I'll be contacting them.)

Frequent Contributor
chezjim
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

In a general way, sales have never come back for me as they were at the start of the year. Things looked promising after the new Nook came out, but Kindle remains firmly in the lead. I used to get discouraged if a day went by that I didn't sell something on the Nook, but now I've gotten used to it.

In fairness, Amazon has a huge lead here, even if, unlike Sony, Barnes and Noble has its own history of managing content. So at this point the mystery is not why PubIt sells less, but why it did so well at the start. If Barnes and Noble was doing something different then, let's hope they start

doing it again.

As for Google Editions, yes, that's been a disappointment. One thing to bear in mind is that it's set up so that people are more likely to find your book through a search than in specifically shopping. In my own case, for whatever reason, I've seen less and less searches on most of my books and so am not surprised to see so few purchased. But whatever the cause, I barely even factor in Google when calculating my monthly overall sales.

Jim Chevallier
North Hollywood, CA
http://www.chezjim.com
"Monologues for Teens and Twenties", "How to Kill a Peacock", "Paris Poems", "August Zang and the French Croissant", "Suicide Monologues for Actors and Others", etc.