R-H
Contributor
R-H
0 Kudos

DRM?

Pubit asks you if you want DRM on your publication.  I've never seen an ebook that you need to do this on... and I own a nook.    So, I'm hesitating... trying to decide.  Can anyone give me any feedback as to the pros and cons of this.  Apparently once you decide one way or the other, there's no changing it, right?

Contributor
Angel24
0 Kudos

Re: DRM?

I am also looking for more information on DRM.

Contributor
Notarius

Digital Rights Management encrypts your ebook so it cannot be decompiled or read on another device.  In other words, it protects it like a lock.  Nook and B&N applications can read it, so if a customer purchased a DRM ebook and they’re logged into their device or application on their computer, they can read the (their) ebook.  

If you elect not to have DRM, they can send your ebook to a friend via email and that friend can read it on whatever reading device they have.  Or they can resell your ebook on another website under their name.  Or college students – so pesky, aren’t they? – can post it on their website and anyone can download it for free.

Obviously, those are worst case scenarios.  If you created a file from a work by Charles Dickens and you want everyone to have it for free, no DRM is necessary, really.  If you wrote it and you think it should have a copyright, that’s a pretty good indication you would prefer people, or college students, not share it with each other, and DRM is a good way to go.

I'm sure there are other opinions about it, though.

R-H
Contributor
R-H
0 Kudos

Thanks for clarifying.  That helped a lot.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

I realize this is an older question, but wanted to add something to this discussion for others that are pondering this.

DRM will limit the distribution of your title to Barnes and Noble.  There are many people who own Sony and other ereaders that might be customers who would buy your book, but won't be able to if DRMed.  Amazon allows for this option as well and authors seem to be electing the non-DRM route.  This means that we nook owners can buy their books and use Calibre to convert it for use on the nook.

If piracy is your main concern, then the thing you must remember is that pirates know how to convert your book, stripping the DRM.

This decision is not a cut and dry one.  But, think what is one of the main complaints ebook readers have when buying ebooks-after perhaps prices.  DRM.  Most hate it.  It severely limits the usability of an ebook.  Yes, there will be those who will decide to "share" a non-DRMed ebook.  But if today I own a Kindle just for example and I also own 400 Kindle books that are DRMed and tomorrow I decide I'd rather have the NOOK color and want to sell my Kindle, I am stuck with a tough decision.  My kindle books aren't readable as is on nook due to DRM and Amazon's proprietary format.  If I sell my kindle, those kindle books will have to be read on my computer and not on my NOOK color.

DRM does not deter pirating and really mostly inhibits the fair use of ebooks you purchase.  It is a response to pirating, but one that doesn't work.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.