Contributor
KarenBJones
0 Kudos

Difficulty finding my nook book through categories and age range

My nook book, published through PubIt, is an illustrated children's book categorized under the 0-2 age range.  However, when I go like I'm a shopper and navigate through (nook books -> Kid's books -> Age 0-2) it comes up with 42 results.  My book should be on this list, even if it's at the very end.  But it's not there at all.  Why is this and how can I fix it? 
My book IS on the site.  It can be found here:  http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Squishy-Stinky-Diaper/Karen-B-Jones/e/2940011804830 and a search by the title or my name will bring it up.  So, if you know it's there, you can get to it.  But if you're just browsing through categories, you'll never stumble on it. 

I know my book's one that can sell here because it HAS sold over 950 copies in less than a year for the kindle.  It's usually even ranked #1 in sales in their Baby-3 age category for kindle.  With nook, it's selling one or two a month, maybe. 

What needs to be done to fix this problem? 
Frequent Contributor
sayndee
0 Kudos

Re: Difficulty finding my nook book through categories and age range

I have brought up this very concern about my own books here with Pubit. All you can do is email them, but they will probably tell you what they did me, that there are so many books out there, that they don't always come up. That they are sort of picked randomly by the system. I know that some days mine come up easily, and then other days I can't find them unless I type in my name. I know this doesnt help...but you can email them and ask for help.  Pubit@bn.com...

Elaine
Contributor
KarenBJones
0 Kudos

Well, now, that explanation would make sense if there were hundreds of books in the category.  But there's only 42 and I looked through the entire list.  It's not there at all.  I understand perfectly that it may be the very last book because that's what it's sales rank warrents, but not to show up at all?  Ever?  That's just not right. 

I have contacted customer support about this.  The first time they said they were sending it up to the next level of support, but I never heard back.  The second time I just never heard back, but it hasn't been long since I sent it, so I'm still willing to wait a bit. 

Frequent Contributor
sayndee
0 Kudos

You're right...It should show up. Good luck with it. I do think our books...all of them...should be a little more visible. Others have complained about this too...At least one other that I know of. Again, hope it gets straightened out...

Elaine
Contributor
ederyn
0 Kudos

I could be wrong, but I think the policy is that all PubIt books are kept separate from Nookbooks and are only listed under PubIt books. If you look under children's books in PubIt there are 1,275 results, which cannot be filtered any further. Those results sadly also bring up a number of erotica and public domain novels for adults which have no business appearing there. Apparently a lot of unscrupulous PubIt authors list their novels under every single category, no matter how inappropriate it is. Grrrrrrr!

Edgy Hours: a Dark Fiction Collection
Frequent Contributor
sayndee
0 Kudos

Pubit  would probably want to know of this...I am sure they don't want erotica with childrens books...I'd tell them...

Elaine
Distinguished Correspondent
Mrs-Smith
0 Kudos

I was just about to add a thread like this when I came in this morning. I agree. When you go to eBooks then choose your category and then the sub-category...you should be able to find your book. But No. Not even all of my keywords work to find my book. This shouldn't be so difficult. It should automatically plop your book into the category that you place it. It shouldn't be this hard for us, who know what were looking for, to find our books.

The only thing I can think of is that with all the problems going on with the sales page other areas of pubit have fallen to the way side.

I think all nookbooks, regardless of weather its pubit or not, should be listed together in the right categories.

Melissa

Cloud Nine (A Paranormal Romance of the Guardians of Man)  

Contributor
ederyn
0 Kudos

I think so too, but it appears that B&N wants to keep PubIt writers separate from the so-called legitimate authors.  Apparently most buyers don't respect self-published writers, so we're banished from appearing in the same search engine as the professionals.  Waaaaah!

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,957
0 Kudos

Mrs-Smith wrote:

I think all nookbooks, regardless of weather its pubit or not, should be listed together in the right categories.

I have no idea if it's what's going on or not, but the problem with "everything listed in the right categories" is that it depends on people listing them in the right categories. I've heard that there are some folks out there who are listing their, um, spicy titles under everything they can think of, including childrens books.

It's possible that B&N is reviewing and approving the categorization of PubIt! books. I doubt it, but it could be. If so, that's a monumental task (especially with all of the "junk" publishers out there dumping public-domain titles into PubIt! by the thousands).

Personally, I suspect that B&N had no idea how daunting their screening responsibilities were going to be. They probably don't have any system in place for "white-listing" publishers, nor any automated screening tools for checking for plagiarism, mis-categorization, etc.

Shopaholic
0 Kudos

I have come across the same problem with my novels.  If I search in the women's fiction category they come up, but when I try to find them using any of the keywords I provided (1980s, classic rock, California, teen pregnancy), I get nothing.  Very frustrating!  Curiously, I have not had any of these issues with Amazon. 

I checked out your children's book, and it looks really cute!  In addition to being a writer, I am also a teacher specializing in infant and toddler education, and I could see this story being a winner with young kids.  Good luck!

Shannon

Secrets: A Willow Ryan Novel

Promises: Willow Ryan Book Two

http://willowwriter.blogspot.com

"You found the bandages inside the pen/ And the stitches on the radio." - Gaslight Anthem

Follow my blog at http://willowwriter.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
Guyon
0 Kudos

ederyn wrote:

I think so too, but it appears that B&N wants to keep PubIt writers separate from the so-called legitimate authors.  Apparently most buyers don't respect self-published writers, so we're banished from appearing in the same search engine as the professionals.  Waaaaah!

That is sad news.  Does Amazon have the same policy, or do they let self publishers in with the Kindle books?

Contributor
ederyn
0 Kudos

Dunno!  I suppose it's somewhat justified, since so many PubIt books are poorly written, but you're right--it's sad news.  Personally I'm going to use Amazon in any case because everyone here says they're making so much more money selling the same books at Amazon. *nod nod*

Shopaholic
0 Kudos

That was a good question about whether or not Amazon keeps their self-published authors in Siberia like B&n does.  I just recently put two of my novels up on Amazon, and I have no trouble finding them through the keywords I provided, and they are right in there with all of the other ebooks.  I was thrilled!  And to top it off, you can create tags (and so can your readers of course) that will help people find your books, even if they aren't looking for them.

It would be so great if B&N could take a lesson or two from Amazon and not only get the technical issues worked out, but also recognize us as legitimate authors.  Just because some of us haven't been lucky enough to land a major publishing deal (yet!), doesn't mean our writing is any less valuable than other work that is out there.  I still have hope for things to improve though! :smileywink:

Shannon

Secrets: A Willow Ryan Novel

Promises: Willow Ryan Book Two

http://willowwriter.blogspot.com

"You found the bandages inside the pen/ And the stitches on the radio." - Gaslight Anthem

Follow my blog at http://willowwriter.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
Guyon
0 Kudos

All B&N needs to do is put a flag on the book saying that it is a PubIt! book and let the customer decide.  Not putting Pubit! books in the real catalogue is a slap in the face.

Contributor
ederyn
0 Kudos

Oooh, that's a great idea!  I just wish someone in authority at B&N visited these boards, but apparently the only time they do is to make announcements, and then they never stick around afterwards to even answer replies.  Grrrrrr!  Likewise, they seem to be deluged with email lately, so I doubt an email suggestion would catch their notice, either.  Waaaaaaah!