Reader
AngeliniSisters
0 Kudos

Double Page Spread

I am a Barnes & Noble user, having co-published one
book with Pubit! (worst name ever, but anyway).  I am currently getting ready to publish a children's picture book. 

I am having a problem with double page spreads and with getting certain pages to always appear together.  I heard that double page spreads are now possible on the iPad and I'm not sure if Nook supports them too.  I email BN support, but they weren't much help. 

When formatting, I am optimizing it for the Nook and Nook Color devices
and especially Nook  for PC and with the expectation that it will be on
the Nook for iPad App.

I am using HTML with jpgs to format and then converting it to epub.  All
of my single pages look great, but my double page spreads don't take up
the whole page.   They appear really tiny and next to a single page.  The Nook is treating them like a regular page, I think.

Is there a way to get a double page spread (a single image which takes
of the space of two pages) to work?  Is there an HTML solution?  I have
searched the boards, but there isn't too much help. Also,  is there a
way to link pages together so that the same two pages always appear on
the screen together?  Does the Nook color have landscape mode yet?

Thanks everyone!

~Stephanie

Frequent Contributor
CodyFord
0 Kudos

Re: Double Page Spread

[ Edited ]

I'm about to publish my children's book also, and I'm afraid there is no current support for double page, or landscape with PubIt. Furthermore, embedded images will not allow wrap around text.

The Nook for PC will cut off images that are too long. They may show the full page image on the nook, but on the nook PC the reader will lose the bottom portion of the image and not be able to scroll down to see it.

My work around for all of that, (at this time) is to embed images that use half a page at a time, and span across the width of the page. I include text between these images for the story.

If your book is truly all images then you will have little choice but to do the above, unless you abandon Nook for PC readers.

Children's books that are rich in functionality, such as Read to me, landscape, double page, and zoom are not yet available to PubIt publishers. I have heard no word back on when, or if we will get it. The well established print editions books that do have this functionality have worked closely with the publisher and the Nook development team.

If you hear of anything new, please share, as will I. :-)

Reader
AngeliniSisters
0 Kudos

Thanks Cody.  That is as I feared.  Even Kindle has lanscape mode.  It would be great if they could get this and even better if they could get features like read to me and zoom.  Hopefully, since they are trying to compete with iPad with the Nook Color, they will offer these features.  Could you make your own app?  Maybe that would be a way around the limitations.

I hadn't experienced that problem when I was previewing my epub in Nook for PC.   Does it not show up on the actual Nook device?  I don't have one, so I haven't been able to check and it bothers me that I don't know what the reader experience will actually be. 

I'm interested in your solution.  I am coding my book in HTML and then converting it.  How would you do what you described?

Frequent Contributor
CodyFord
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

When you add a title and  upload your ebook you can view your book in the Nook emulator. Images are full page on the actual nook. The cut off issue is with the Nook PC application.

I don't use HTML to code my books. HTML adds a level of difficulty to the conversion process, INMHO.

I would switch to Sigil as I suggested. You should be able to cut and paste your text into it. It's much more of a WYSIWYG development. I even abandoned word when I started using it.

Development of the rich children's book functionality can be developed using the Nooks SDK (Software Development Kit) - so they say. Even as a programmer I am not interested in re-developing  the functionality only to find that I can NOT use it with PubIt. For now I'm playing it safe.

I've uploaded a Nook screen shot on one of my websites as an example for you. The text and image are just samples to make sure formatting will work out alright. The text can be resized and will spill to the next page if the user changes margins or font size. The image is sized so that it will show entirely if the text kicks it to the next page or bottom.

Have a look - it will show you how I'm illustrating my book.

http://www.fitzgiggles.com/NookSample.html

Reader
AngeliniSisters
0 Kudos

Dear Cody,

Thank you for uploading that sample.  You book looks beautiful.   I checked out Sigil and I am definitely going to download it and give it a try.  It didn't know it existed, so thanks for pointing it out.  Like you, the SDK route is more time than I want to invest right now.

What do you think about embedding the text in the image?  I wanted the text to interact with the image with a certain amount of whimsy.  Will the sky fall if I do this? 

Frequent Contributor
CodyFord
0 Kudos

Thank you! :-)

You can have anything in your image as long as the text and graphics are all saved as a single image. :-) I have text in some of my illustrations. They are part of the image so it will be fine.

New User
chandru
0 Kudos

Hi,

How to fix the epub files, if the source PDF shows 2 page spread in single view since the Nook screen as tabloid?

Kindly do the needful.