Frequent Contributor
ribbons55
0 Kudos

Dwindling sales and classification of books

Maybe this is something everybody knows but me.  In trying to find some discernable reason that my sales have plummeted since the launch of the NOOK Press, I discovered something interesting about how books are classified into categories.  My books are historical romances with western themes.  They are priced at $.99 as they were previously published.  As I uploaded each book, I chose the categories carefully so readers could find them.  Romance - Historical - Western.  Romance - Historical- General.  You get the picture. 

I have just discovered while trying to drill down to my books via the left side bar categories that if a book is priced below $5.00 it is automatically placed in the "NOOK Deals" category along with 88,000 other books.  There is little way to filter them, except by Romance then historical (in my case) which resulted in 11,000 books that readers have to sift through one by one.  No way to filter by other sub-genres such as western, comtemporary, viking, etc.  This is new to me and answers the question of why no matter how many times I change the categories, my books still did not come up under westerns.  Anyone else savvy to this?????

The Red Serge Novels
http://bit.ly/12UgIRh
Frequent Contributor
TomRichardson
0 Kudos

Re: Dwindling sales and classification of books

Seems like the obvious solution is to raise your prices to five bucks. My most expensive books sell (modestly) here for six bucks.
Frequent Contributor
JimLow
0 Kudos

Of the past five months, beginning in 'Feb. 2013', this month of June is the lowest in sales. February, March, April, May, and June, each saw declining sales, with a little more shaved off each succeeding month. It's sad because my other sales venues have seen far less sales declines. Most of my others did see mild drop in May and possibly a moderate drop in June but not to the degree I have seen through Nook Press. I think the updated graphics for the publishing platform, was a diversion of sorts. Here's to hoping there is recovery from this drought! 

Frequent Contributor
ribbons55
0 Kudos

I did try that to no avail.
The Red Serge Novels
http://bit.ly/12UgIRh