New User
both
0 Kudos

FATAL: referenced resource missing in the package

First, a rant....Why was pubit canged. The old system was easy to use with no issues. At least we had no issues uploading info. Now...nothing works well.

Now to a spacific issue that we can not figure out.

In uploading an epub file we continue to receive this message:

An Error Occurred Processing Content
  • FATAL: referenced resource missing in the package

There is no further info as who what is missing. All files seem to be properlly formated. We have changed nothing in how we produce epub files. The previous pubit system had no issues but nothing will uplaod now.

Any suggestions? Specific fixes?

Thanks for the help.

Distinguished Correspondent
Mrs-Smith
0 Kudos

Re: FATAL: referenced resource missing in the package

Hello both,

The only think I can think of is maybe the file isn't formatted correctly. Or NP is being cranky. My guess would be the latter.

Ever since BN changed over their platform nothing has been right and nothing has worked the way we were used to things working.

I would definitely say do not use NP's formatter to make your books. Other than that, I'm grasping at straws just as you are.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help :smileyfrustrated:

Contributor
oneadem
0 Kudos

nearly a year since the last comment and this problem persists?!

How the heck does Barnes & Noble expect to stay in the game if authors can't post work? and if you're going to have error messages, at least explain hwat the heck they man!

I got th same "FATAL: referenced resource missing in the package" message on a file that I am able to upload elsewhere, so why should I bother using Nook Press?

Contributor
JayBee13
0 Kudos

Nookpress is pretty stable now. It may be a very minute mistake on the Epub. I may be able to fix it.

Please reach me at jscript12@gmail.com.

https://www.facebook.com/NookQuickTipsAndUpdates

Contributor
oneadem
0 Kudos

I have four Word docs in which I used the "nuclear option" to clear all formatting and then used basic styles to create four individual eBooks. these four Word docs were successfully uploaded, formatted and published via Nook Press as separate books.

ALL I DID was open doc #1, copy/paste doc #2 to the end, copy/paste doc #3 to the ned of that, and copy/Paste doc #4 to the end of that, to create a "box set."

The ONLY change I made to the file was to use the same styles to add a 'collection' title page, a collection TOC, a bried collection intro. No fancy formatting whatsoever. and I did this all from within the same doc file that the four individual docs were created.

Then I tried upload and got "FATAL: referenced resource missing in the package" more than ten times now.

The entire collection dox is 15.3MB.

No indication of what may be the problem with the file has been provided; I see this same problem has existed on the system for more than a year.

What kind of problem could exist in four files that were already accepted and only appended together?

Mrs-Smith
0 Kudos

First of all, there was no need to create a new thread that said this same thing.

Other than that, NP has a history of converting issues when it comes to .docx files. Your best bet would be to either convert that file into a verified epub yourself, or find someone who can do that for you. You will have far fewer problems uploading an epub than you will any other file type.

Hope this helps

Contributor
oneadem
0 Kudos

First, I thought my initial post had disappeared. I couldn't see it on the list.

Second, since it had been so long since the prior posts by others, and since their were no solutions offered in the threads that pappeared in my search, I figured I'd open the discussion anew.

So, I did attempt the standard process for my query.

That said, I  have tried Word .doc. .docx. a Calibre-converted ePub, HTML; I made certain all images were reduced to web friendly size as were the four prior books I published from the "exact same" Word .doc files that I simply pasted end to end this time to make a "box set." The completed four .doc manuscript was reduced to 6.3MB, well below the Nook Press threshold.

NONE of the above mentioned formats was aceepted. All returned the error noted in the subject line.

Again, this new doc is four previously-accepted documents, all of which were made using the same three basic Style elements with zero special characters or fancy inclusions, simply pasted 1, 2, 3, 4 at the end of each other to form one document with all four books.

It should be noted that this exact same document was accepted and converted through other publishers; only Nook won't accept it. and I have now tried 12 times, as .doc, .docx, HTML and, ePub, over two days from two different computers via two different internet providers and two different networks.

I can load the Calibre-created ePub into the PC Nook reader and mjust fine. Only Nook Press is refusing to recognize it and tells me some reference resource is missing. 

Whatever it is that it thinks is missing eludes me, as it is ALL the exact same information that was already accepted to publish the four books already up.

I can only guess there is something wrong with the Nook Press system or manuscript upload process.

If anyone knows of a solution, I'd welcome a response, as i am sure would the others who have had this problem.

thanks.

Mrs-Smith
0 Kudos

Well, currenlty NP has stated that they will be doing updates tonight, so maybe they'll fix whatever issue is causing you to get said error.

New User
both
0 Kudos

oneadem, what you may find happen now is that you have 12 listings of this same book.

I have found that just because the pubit system does not like an upload that does not mean my files are bad and after attempting to upload a book to no avail I will simply start a new listing and that one works. The odd thing is when I check back days later all my attampts are live.

Their system has been flawed since day one and support has always been nonexistent.

Contributor
oneadem
0 Kudos

I did note that three of the attempts resulted in a listing (grayed out), so I trashed those three and tried again fresh, with only mo for individual books showing on the list.

Remember, this new upload is not the same as any of the individual books; it is simply all four books (new title) being uploaded as an individual Word doc that is the original four book docs pasted one to the end of the next: Book 1, Book 2, Book 3, Book 4. Nothing else is changed. Formatting and content are simply four books in one.

I tried using .doc, .docx, HTML and even a Callibri-converterd ePub. Still no good. And this same .doc file uploaded and converted just fine on two other venues. only Nook is having problems with it. there is nothing wrong with the file.

I am at a loss. I was told that in order to post a collection of books as a collection all thar is required is a single document file containing all the books you want included. am I missing something?

Inspired Contributor
TheReluctantCritic
0 Kudos

ePub is always the best bet. Word files result in terrible formatting. I go through a rather painstaking process to convert from .DOC (never .DOCX) to ePub. Bottom line, that ePub has to pass validation. You can upload to this link to validate: http://validator.idpf.org/

The validator will often expose many Calibre mistakes as well as any HTML, CSS, and XML errors if you're hand coding the ePub.

You're probably missing a critical file, such as CONTENT.OPF, TOC.NCX, MIMETYPE, or maybe even just an author or cover image. Or the CONTENT.OPF file could be referencing HTML files that don't exist. It could be any number of things.

Just some food for thought.

Try the MobileRead.com forums. Everything I learned about designing ePubs I learned from the gurus on that site. Once you learn the right way to fashion an ePub, you'll realize what junk you were uploading before.

Good luck.