New User
TrppsGrl
0 Kudos

Formatting Help......???

I am getting ready to write my first book to be published, and I am slightly confused. I will be using Microsoft word, and I was wondering if I needed to create a title page, and also if I can use (control-enter) as a page-break. I'm not sure if the Nook will register that and start a new page?? Thanks!!

Frequent Contributor
JimLow
0 Kudos

Re: Formatting Help......???

Some of my reply may not be how other publishers see it, so be sure to balance my advice with other comments that might be added.

I would simply look at other e-books and in-print books by reputable authors or publishers and use them as a guideline as far as book-structure goes. You’ll note that a lot of them have the title and subtitle on the first page and possibly the author credit and copyright notation on the first page as well.

Their next page might have a “dedication” (optional depending on type of book but can be added to any book) and in most cases is short – sometimes even just a sentence in length.

Afterward, a page for the “Table of Contents” listing chapter-titles can be added and then a page that gives an “Introduction” to your book (some books place table of contents after the intro and vice-versa).

The next page afterward can start “CHAPTER ONE” with the chapter’s title in bold or in all large caps (different authors may do either). The content of the chapter would then be in regular print (no bold or all large caps words unless for highlighting).

With each new chapter, you simply do the same as I describe in the previous paragraph and at the end of the book you can add a “Conclusion” if you like but that-too is optional and depends on the type of book.

As far as indenting paragraphs, I use the double-space method, rather than indenting because I wrote for two very large content sites and their studies showed in regard to indentations versus double-spacing, that readers prefer double space paragraph separations (again other authors or publishers may disagree).

Also know that when you submit an e-book to Pubit!, it will allow you to preview the file as it would look to a NOOK e-book reader before you complete the publishing of it. If you see things not right in your word file, simply “save” your book submission info and don’t publish until you’ve updated your file to how you want it and reload the book’s content (word file) into the book file prompt when it is revised to your liking.

As far as page-numbering, Word.Doc files can be numbered – just look for the “Insert” prompt at the top of your micro-word and select the type page numbering and at what page you want numbering to begin. What’s nice about Word page numbering is that the numbering will also appear if you convert your file to PDF (free conversion is offered online, via a search on Google).

This last part of my comment will be more-so the advice some publishers may differ with me on but I have all of my titles published on several large booksellers without professional editing applied to them. YES, pro-editing would improve them even more but with my having about 35 e-book titles and nearly as many books-in-print, it would be a massive expense to me to have this done in any way other than gradually, over time. In the mean-time, I wanted my information available out there, so published them at near-professionally edited level.

There are problems you’ll have to deal with, including the fact that Word files will change to a different layout, when you covert them to PDF or EPUB but not always so significantly that it seriously affects the quality of your book. Some publishers (fee-based ones) will try to convince you that publishing from Word.Doc files; even with conversions is a big no-no! – But, this is what I have done with all my books and I get great comments on them often from readers. In my case, with health-related titles, rather than novels, people are far more interested in my info, than in the professionally-detailed layout of my titles.

In-short, if you’re publishing a novel, professional editing may be important but if your book is need-to-know information (i.e. How-To, Self-Education, etc…) a professional editor may be an expense that is not necessarily needed. I would however, run the content-file through word/grammar check and proof-reading of it to a willing listener/reader to make sure it flows as you would like.

I hope there’s a bit here and there in this info that helps & Best Wishes with your publishing!

JimLow

Contributor
virgil7
0 Kudos

I'm completely new at this.  I have a version of Word from the Starter Office 2010 that came with the computer, and 180 pages.  The good news is the cover and any illustrations are simple line drawings.  The bad news is I know nothing about making sure it all looks good when in the Nookcolor format.  Yikes!

Correspondent
Strayer
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Save as .doc in Word 1997/2003. It will do better.

You can use page breaks if there's no formatting or section breaks if there is Word formatting.

If you really have trouble, I'd download Open Office and that would make it easier.

Post on the board if you have problems. Someone will know what to do.

Contributor
virgil7
0 Kudos

I have Word .docx  Is that OK?  It also seems to support inserting pictures, but I'll have to figure a way to scan in jpegs.  Will a Canon MG5220 do it?

Correspondent
Strayer
0 Kudos

Don't use .docx. Use .doc.

For images in Word, put the image in MS Paint and save as PNG. That is the image file that works in Word.

Again, use an older form of Word to save you book.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I know it's confusing.

Contributor
virgil7
0 Kudos

I couldn't find any old versions of Word, but bought the new 2010 version.  It wasn't cheap, but I hope it will do the job.  My copier will scan b&w illustrations into a jpeg file that I can drag to the desktop.  I'm hoping there will be a way to insert the 20 or so I'll need into the 180 page text, either flush right or left, or centered.  The cover is also a simple b&w line drawing.

I would like any printed version to be around 5x7in.  So I should set the margins for that?

I've contacted somebody about converting to .ePub and .PRC but no quote yet.  Is it worth it?

Thanks.  I'm going slow here :-)

Correspondent
Strayer
0 Kudos

Save as .doc. That seems to work well. Pubit will convert it to epub and Kindle Direct will convert it to prc. You should be able to use the same document for both.

Soprry I'm late in answering, I jsut got a little job and am busy looking stupid there.

I used page breaks between the pictures and the text. Some people use section breaks.

For the cover I had it sized at 850 by 850 pixels.

I'd do a test with a jpeg in Word. Insert it into a black document and see how it looks. Then you can adjust the size. People have used Word 2010 and done fine. It's the document format that matters.

I had the text and pictures in the same document. I was glad when it cam out okay.

No ruch in uploadign. Take your time and get it the way you want it.

Post again if you need to and good luck.

New User
kittzykat
0 Kudos

I used a title page, copyright page, and dedication page for my book. 

I found that the Insert page in Word didn't create page breaks so I used Page layout, section break, next page.    To create a Table of contents - chapter headings must be in Heading I Format.  You don't need to list a Table of contents. (When I tried to update my TOC the chapter titles on the list had a lot of spaces in them. So I eliminated this from my book.) The Nook will pick up your chapter headings and put them in the bottom of the screen for users to Go To.  

Regarding Pictures - At first I tried rescaling my pics to 450 x 600, but these showed up too small on the Nook.  Then I inserted my pics in my document  within the recommended 750 x 2000 range , and they looked fine.

Don't use symbols.  The n dash symbol showed up as a question mark in my simulator.    No superscripts, fractions, etc. 

Hope this helps.

Correspondent
Strayer
0 Kudos

This is good information. My pictures were for print out size and I just tossed them into Word. I had 1" margins. My pictures are not what you would call any form of art and nothing could hurt them.

Contributor
virgil7
0 Kudos

OK thanks!  I had to put the book on hold for the holidays, and am only now getting back to it.

I guess I should just type until I need to insert an illustration (they're all b&w line drawings and clip art like stuff) then leave a space, and try to select it from a file on the desktop?  I will have to get with Word help and see

This is going to be fun.  I'm looking forward to it.  Will get back to you.

-v7

Correspondent
Strayer
0 Kudos

I put the pix into MS paint and made them PNG. I had 1" margins and the pictures came out the right size. I was able to use page break between the pages of text and pictures. I saved as .doc.
Contributor
virgil7
0 Kudos

Here's my latest update:  I've got a 160 page book with b&w line drawing illustrations I'd like to submit to PubIt.  I bought a copy of Word 2010, and started typing the book into it, but found the computer I'm using had Word 2010 Starter on it, and now Starter is over-riding the regular Word that I bought and installed, and I'm a third into the total transcription.  To get rid of Starter, they tell me I should uninstall and then reinstall my copy of Word, but I'll lose everything I've typed in laboriously so far.  I need to add the illustrations anyway, so I found that my scanner can convert a page to PDF, and Adobe can then convert that page to a Word .doc that Pubit would accept, but my question is: "Do I have to send each converted, scanned page seperately, or how can I scan all 160 pages/some illustrations into PDF/then Word, and just send a single file to Pubit?

I know it can't be as complex as I think.

Thanks!

virgil7

Contributor
virgil7
0 Kudos

Sorry to repeat, but I didn't check for an email reply to the 5-25-12 post.

So if I have 160 pages scanned into PDF and each converted to Word .doc, how can I bundle all the pages back into one file with converted pages/illustrations to send to Pubit?

Thanks for your patience.  email me!

Frequent Contributor
cale
0 Kudos

“Starter is over-riding the regular Word”

What does that mean? There's no reason you shouldn't be able to bring up either program. If you don't know how to change document associations, just open Word, and then browse to your document from there instead of double-clicking on the document.

“they tell me I should uninstall and then reinstall my copy of Word, but I'll lose everything I've typed in laboriously so far.”

Uninstalling a program doesn't have anything to do with your documents.

“my scanner can convert a page to PDF, and Adobe can then convert that page to a Word .doc”

PDFs almost never convert properly to Word files or to much of anything else. You'll have a ton of glitches to fix on every page. It'll take a lot of work.

“how can I bundle all the pages back into one file with converted pages/illustrations to send to Pubit?”

By copying each page to the bottom of the first until you have one long document with everything in it.

Contributor
virgil7
0 Kudos

OK thanks again--I'm getting serious with this book finally, but I feel like a complete idiot trying to get it so it will look right on the Nook and in ebook form.  It's a happy kind of idiocy though, as I'm learning how this works.  I've printed out all your suggestions.

I'd really like to go with the scanner/PDF idea, and just paid Adobe $20/yr to access their 'convert PDF to Word' function, because it seems it would make my job so much easier if I could just compose to the page with the illustrations and text (speaking of text, I'm using "Antiqua" or something from the Word menu, instead of the New Times Roman that someone suggested--is that OK?) but I have no idea how that will turn out.  If I write in Word, even though the scanner turns it into a PDF which I turn back into Word, through the Adobe magic, shouldn't there be less glitches to fix?

<sound of brain spinning inside skull>

Another question:  I want my book to be around standard paperback size (what is that exactly, as far as publishers go?) if anybody wants to print it out in hardcopy, so I've adjusted the margins in Word accordingly, but that means the text and illustrations are now pretty much in the center of an 8 1/2 X 11 piece of paper if printed out now, and would have to be cropped, even to be bound with a plastic ring thingie.  I'm OK with that, but I don't know about anybody else.  This "print on demand" in certain bookstores out west and wherever is interesting, but I don't know much about that, either.

i ".....don't know much about..his-to-ry.....don't know much ge-o-gra-phy....."

Thanks again!

Frequent Contributor
cale
0 Kudos

Doesn't your scanner give you other OCR options, like RTF for instance? That would be considerably better than PDF. And while I would love to see all your pages scanned with no errors to fix, I'm afraid this just won't happen no matter what file output option you use. But I'll be happy to say a prayer for you and wish you the best! :smileyhappy:

Your paperback trim size is dependent on the book maker. For instance, LuLu used to ONLY make 6x9 paperbacks. That may still be the case; I'm not sure. You'll have to decide on someone to make the book first and look at their guidelines. There's quite a bit to the formatting, and some require you to do the PDF conversion yourself before submitting.

As far as a “standard” goes, there is none. I can tell you that first runs of paperbacks are usually 6x9, but they can be any size. When you see the smaller sized books, those are generally mass market editions, and they tend to be smaller, like 4x7.

Contributor
virgil7
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

OK thanks.  Good advice.

When you say "errors to fix", do you mean artifacts from PDF when it's converrted to Word that only show up later when Word is printed out, or things that look OK in PDF but become errors in Word or....?

And shouldn't Adobe have figured that out?  Maybe I should try the Adobe forums.

Anyway, as it is now in Word (Starter or whatever...grrrr) when I finish a page and hit "Enter" it goes to the next page and starts the first word in the paragraph, so if I scan the pages with the composed illustrations, and attach a scanned cover where the last word on the cover leads to the first word on the first page, the whole book should be a single file, which can then be downloaded by anybody.

You're right about LuLu Bookbaby et al.  Once I get a complete file on the book, I could have them go over it before submitting it to Barnes & Noble, maybe making other deals as well, but I'd prefer B&N, being now a loyal and excited, brainwashed complete B&N fan after buying a NookColor and hearing about the Microsoft deal.

GO B & N !!!!

More on this later.  Thanks again.

Frequent Contributor
cale
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

“do you mean artifacts”

I mean that OCR software is far from perfect, although it's considerably better than it was 5 or 10 years ago. But nearly every page will have something it didn't quite get right, perhaps substituting the number “1” for letter “I” or vice-versa. They have an especially hard time with text that flows around pictures.

It's not an Adobe problem. That's just the way it is with scanners. It doesn't matter what format you save the document in. That letter “I” will still be presented as a number “1” etc. if the scanner didn't pick it up right.

OCR'ing text is always labor intensive. You'll need to spell check everything and read every single word to watch for problems while watching for punctuation changes too. (Commas can become periods quite easily and so on.) I OCR'ed a short story for Gutenberg Australia a couple of years ago in which there were some Latin phrases, and boy did those have to be watched!

You can do it. It just takes time and patience.

Yes, the MS-B&N partnership is going to be well worth watching. What's especially provocative at this point is the fact that this will allow B&N to go international with their website and probably stores too so they can finally compete with Amazon on equal on footing. B&N CEO (William Lynch) says: "Clearly we think the biggest opportunity is through this partnership [with MS] in terms of growth internationally."

The Touch w/ glow-light is also the cat's meow. If only they hadn't saddled it with a dopey touchscreen. The Kindle 3 (Keyboard) is still the best reader out there though. And you can bet Amazon will come out with their own version of the glow-light. If they put that on a K-3 unit, they would have the perfect reader. The Simple Touch w/ Glow-light not only needs a keyboard (like all Nook products should have), but the screen is a little too small. Perhaps they'll surprise us and come out with a keyboard version next year for more serious readers who do scholarly work and do a lot of note taking. It takes too long to input characters on a touchscreen. You really need a keyboard for that.

Contributor
virgil7
0 Kudos

Very good.  Very good.

So the consensus is it won't make any difference to B&N if the book is submitted with the Starter version of Word 2010 that keeps popping up even though I'm transcribing into the version of Word 2010 that I later bought and installed?

If I email myself a copy now, or back it up in any way, like I have on CD, the Starter version still is primary, even though I continue to transcribe into what looks to be regular Word on my screen.  If I make a copy, and then delete Starter and re-introduce the copy, I'll just be bringing back Starter, no?  This is aggravating.  I may have to re-transcribe more than a third of the book AGAIN in regular Word, after Starter is gone.

MICROSOFT!  GRRRR!!!!