New User
happygrrl
0 Kudos

Formatting problem in Nook books only?

Hi! I'm new here--hope you don't me jumping right in! 

I have published a book, both epub and mobi. Everything looks great in ADE, the .mobi on my Kindle and the .epub in the Kindle Previewer.

BUT, on a Nook (and I'm assuming a Sony or Kobo reader since they also use RM--I just don't have one of those), there are spaces between the paragraphs that shouldn't be there. 

It's got to be something in my code, but I can't see it. Here's what I've got as my paragraph style:

p

{

text-indent: 1.5em;

line-height: 1.3em;

}

Is it the line-height that's the problem? Is Nook overriding my code altogether? And if so, any ideas how I can fix it?

I'm sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere--I thought I found a thread on it, then my computer crashed and I couldn't find it again. :smileytongue:

Thanks for any help!

Frequent Contributor
TomRichardson
0 Kudos

Re: Formatting problem in Nook books only?

Why specify line height at all? Take those lines out. For that matter, don't specify font, beyond "serif" and "sans-serif."

The hardest mental shift when configuring an ebook (after laying out a printed book) is letting go of specifying how the text will look, and letting the ereader (and the human reader) decide how the text will look. In my ebook HTML, I specify only font sizes, and some people here would argue about even that.

My guess is that Nook is giving the text a line height of 1.0em within the paragraph, and a 1.3em line height between paragraphs, hence the white gap. Deleting the line-height specification from your paragraph style would, I think, fix that.
New User
happygrrl
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks Tom! I was wondering about that, so I'll give it a try.

Do you know of a good way to preview a Nook book? I used to use the previewer in Pub It but can't find an option for something similar with Nook Press.

Thanks again!

UPDATE:

Removed the line-height in the CSS, so now it reads:

p

{

text-indent: 1.5em;

}

However, the extra space between paragraphs is STILL there.

Thoughts?

Thank you!

Frequent Contributor
TomRichardson
0 Kudos

Sounds to me like the Nook ebook-formatting software is overriding your specifications in the HTML.

What you can try: Get Nook for PC (or Mac), buy your ebook and download it to your computer, rename the .epub extension to .zip, unzip the file, and inspect the HTML. Look to see where the HTML you bought is different from the HTML you sent.

My only other advice: Let it go.