Contributor
Needlehawk
0 Kudos

Re: Great PubIt Reads

Thanks Jeremy for this thread!

Background: Many years ago, I subscribed to several fiction magazines. Of all the stories and series in those magazines, only 2 authors stuck in my mind through the years - Kristine Kathryn Rusch and Bentley Dadmun. Ms. Rusch has done very well for herself through the years. Mister Dadmun on the other hand, received 2 Derringer nominations and appeared in the anthology Best American Mystery Stories, then suddenly dropped out of sight.

I tried for a long time to discover what was up with him, and whether he ever published anything else. I saw one blog entry from him somewhere (since deleted apparently) that indicated he was trying to get published.

Imagine my joy when I discovered that he had self-published several books to PubIt. All of the stories I remembered (plus a few others) were in the book A HARRY NEAL AND CAT MYSTERY ANTHOLOGY.

Harry and Cat is quite simply the best "mystery series with cats" that I've read. Cat does not talk, nor does she have supernatural powers. What she does do is provide the lead character, Harry Neal, with a connection to life that he hasn't had for a long time. Harry is a down and out ex-professor (and probable alcholic) who simply walked away from his life one day. He currently lives on a farm with a number of other "life's outcasts". Harry does have one talent though - he has a reputation for solving mysteries.

Pros - Mr. Dadmun has created immensely believable and human characters, and a wonderfully warm relationship between Harry and Cat. As I said, this series stuck in my mind for years after I had forgotten many others.

Cons - Unfortunately, there are 2 big downsides that I have to mention. First, the editing in this book is truly awful. I have no idea why Mr. Dadmun would publish it in such a dreadful state, but it distracts pretty badly. Second, he has decided to price it at the unheard of price of $9.00 for a PubIt book.

Just one last note. I told myself that I would NEVER buy another e-book for more than $6.00 again. I have only done so with 3 books. One was ROOM. The other 2 were the Harry and Cat books (the above and DEAD DEAD DEAD, THE LITTLE GIRL SAID).

If you can get past the price and the horrible editing job, this book is really a wonderful read.

New User
CryWolfe
0 Kudos

If you like a mystery/police procedural, try Credo's Hope and the sequel, Credo's Legacy by Alison Naomi Holt. They're a lot of fun and Holt's been described as the PG13 female Wambaugh.

Contributor
lavenderLH
0 Kudos

Elizabeth Loraine has a new book out and it's a great book. This is book one of a new series for her and I have to save I was hooked again from the first page. You should check it out for yourself.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/phantom-lives-collier-elizabeth-loraine/1104988970?ean=2940013003491...

Contributor
lorilynn
0 Kudos

Desperado  Hi My book Desperado is .99 for a limited time. Get it while its hot! ;-)

Lynn Hubbard
www.lynnhubbard.com
Contributor
Maranda_Russell
0 Kudos

In Memory of Dad  If any of you are looking for inspirational or meaningful books for children or young adults, please consider my ebook!  It is only 99 cents, but has gotten great reviews, including recommendations from children's counselors and therapists.  This book is one that anyone who has lost a loved one can relate to.  Even adults have said they loved the story and were deeply touched by it.

Frequent Contributor
tjatkins
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

What Lies Ahead, a novel for the Nook

Teresa is fed up with the constant disrespect by men in her life. She hastily decides that a change has to be made. Choosing to live the life of a player - she treats men anyway she wants and only thinks of herself. When she finds stacks of money in an unusual place, she makes no exception and keeps the money for herself.

Luke is living the good life. His life of crime has him set for life and he can finally leave it behind. But forces beyond his control bring his world crashing down around him. Luke vows to make those responsible pay with no less than their lives.

As Luke and Teresa’s worlds collide, is either one of them prepared for what lies ahead?

New User
JaylanPHNX
0 Kudos

If you like Urban Fantasy, or anything supernatural with a lot of action, check out my novel Endangered Species.

Reader
savsav
0 Kudos

Dark Traveler by H.H. Johnson - a teenager who is afraid of her own shadow is stalked by a serial killer.

New User
KellyFisher319
0 Kudos

I just published my book on pubit and would love if some folks would check it out and give it some reviews. Its only 99cents and its a paranormal romance set in the middle of a zombie apocalypse. Its the first in a series book 2 should be out in a few months or sooner as I am working on it now http://search.barnesandnoble.com/books/e/2940013460980

Frequent Contributor
tjatkins
0 Kudos

Paranormal romance and zombie apocalypse.  That one's got it all.

New User
LeiraNomis
0 Kudos

Thank you for this thread, and I would like everyone to sample Joshua's story. This young six year old boy suffered the loss his father, then was left for dead by his mother's murderer! Please let me know what you think!

Thanks,

Leira

Contributor
TinaMI
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hello!

Please check out my book Born An Angel . Although it was published three years ago in print, it was just released as an eBook this month.

Thank you!

Born An Angel

New User
BlueAce

The Christmas Box  For a spooky Christmas story with an unusual twist of the bizarre and the unexplainable, try The Christmas Box an Eerie Tale of the Perfect Gift by James E. Lewandowski.  Enjoyable for all ages.

Thanks,

Jim

Reader
Toneberry
0 Kudos

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-crystal-needle-daniel-peyton/1107549802?ean=2940013502680&itm=1&...

Good clean read. A fantasy novel about love, magic, and embroidery. Sets its scene in both 1692 and today. Only 99cents.

New User
LovestoWrite06
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hey PubIt! Community. My name is Ashley Mercier and I just published my first romance novel Saving Tate through PubIt! I'd be excited for any feedback or reviews from anyone willing to read. Thanks a bunch.

Follow my blog for updates and information at lovestowrite06.blogspot.com

Follow my blog for updates and information: lovestowrite06.blogspot.com
Contributor
LaStade
0 Kudos

Hi everyone, 

I have discovered that using the nook for reading crochet and knitting patterns is wonderful. When you are working on a project, you don't have to worry about your pattern getting lost or spilling coffee on it.   I design crochet patterns and have added them to the Pubit database.  If you love to crochet projects that are fun and easy to make, please take a look at my designs.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/c/lori-stade

Sock Monkey Hat Crochet Pattern for babies.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/c/lori-stade
New User
complicated_soul
0 Kudos

Two great ebooks for only $.99!! Hidden Among Us reduced for a limited time. 

Hidden Among Us  

Not a Nightmare  

Contributor
tobiash
0 Kudos

Great sci-fi only 99¢

Chronon-a particle of time

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/c/harris-tobias
http://tobiash.podbean.com/
New User
LovestoWrite06
0 Kudos

Hi pubit authors. My romance novel Saving Tate is $.99 for a limited time. I'd appreciate anyone willing to give it a chance and any reviews. Thanks.
Follow my blog for updates and information: lovestowrite06.blogspot.com
Contributor
tobiash
0 Kudos

"A Felony of Birds is a damn good read..."

avid reader

"I couldn't stop reading..."

E.A. Poe

A Felony of Birds  

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/c/harris-tobias
http://tobiash.podbean.com/