Frequent Contributor
dmnelson
0 Kudos

Re: Have everyone's sales fallen with Nook Press?

Yes - me too. And I just launched a new book (Deadly Favors) which has done NOTHING on Nook. When I published my first one last year (Murder Begets Murder) there were immediate sales and it continued to climb. This is odd - I thought it was just me.

Frequent Contributor
Angela_Beegle
0 Kudos

I've noticed the 'bursts' of sales over the last week, including 8 whole sales yesterday(!!!). Actually, if I had 8 sales a day, every day, I'd be over the moon. This does coincide with the release of a new title (Werewolves: Dead Man's Hand), and as someone else said, more than just the newest title is selling. But it's very odd. It's like we're on rolling blackout servers, the way eBay does to its sellers. Sometimes people see you, sometimes they don't. When they do, your stuff sells. The rest of the time you might as well not exist.

With eBay, you pay fees whether your stuff sells or not (and *more* fees if it does, and more *again* when you get paid). It doesn't seem to make sense for B&N though - they don't make anything from you unless people buy your books. If we're not making money, they're not making money. What's the point in killing their own source of income?

Frequent Contributor
ribbons55
0 Kudos

I did some fiddling around with the search options on BN today and here's some things I learned.

Keywords are totally useless.  I think someone else mentioned this.  I have six books up, all set in Canada and involving the Mounted Police.  If I search for "Canada" which is one of my keywords with all the books, the search does not find me at all.  This is also the case with "mounties" and "mounted police".

If I drill down through the BN site looking for my books (NOOK books - Romance - Historical Romance - Westerns) the search will find 4 of my books and not six.  All have the same categories defined as well as identical keywords except for additons of words unique to each book. 

I have also just noticed that if you drill down for "Books" (instead of "NOOK books") - Romance - Historical Romance, you will get a subset of genre (westerns, native americans etc.).  This does not appear if you start with NOOK Books and as a reader, you are forced to search through nearly 18,000 historical romances to find one you might want to read. 

I'm amazed I'm selling any books at all.  I'm convined that before this plunge in sales, my books were more easy to find or else readers were passing their satisfaction with my books to other readers in some way that does not exist now. 

Just a few random thoughts. 

The Red Serge Novels
http://bit.ly/12UgIRh
Contributor
Papa-134
0 Kudos

I see B&N just announced improvements to Press this morning, including some "behind the scenes/under the hood" improvements, so here's hoping that's euphemism for "we're trying to solve the missing sales issues".

In testing to see if there's some legacy issue of having titles ported over from Press, I'm in the process of signing up for a whole new account so I can upload titles from the get-go via Press, then I'll be able to compare sales from a fresh account with my old account. Will hollar if I see anything noteworthy.

God save the Queen.

New User
cakemaker03
0 Kudos

My sales have gone from 100 a month to about 15 since nook press began. Disheartening.
Frequent Contributor
Windy30
0 Kudos

yes, but yesterday was the worst.