04-21-2013 02:40 AM
Sorry for all the posts in a short time. I'm done venting.
I know it's possible to create a complex table of contents that Nook can recognize, but I don't know where to begin. I can't just make my TOC a set of links with no context. What I want is one exactly like this guy's table of contents: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/sample/read/97815947
When I try to do something like that, it autogenerates with too many errors and makes the TOC useless. I have three "levels" of items in the TOC.
an exercise or two
If I just link to the main ones, no one will know what's in the book.
Any tools for this? Maybe in Open Office or some html tricks? I don't use word or Acrobat.
I'm realizing that, even if Nook Press had tech support, they wouldn't have been able to take care of me anyway. I'm guessing there's something in the formatting that Amazon corrects for and Nook doesn't.
04-21-2013 11:08 AM
Since I've not used the NookPress formatter yet, and probably won't, I couldnt tell you how to make your TOC work like you want it to. However, it sounds to me like you probably need to hire a formatter. Someone who knows what they're doing and can do as you want.
Out of curiosity, how are you labeling all your hyperlinks, all as H1? or are you using the sub headings 2,3,4 etc? It makes a difference.
I can't be of any help with Open Office, as I don't use anything but Word. . . Sorry.
04-21-2013 12:26 PM
I may be telling you what you already know but I use OpenOffice too, so here's what I do...
I click beside each place in the doc that I will be linking from the TOC to and I use the "insert" and dropdown option - "bookmark". I then name them things such as "P1" (Part One) and "P1C1" (Part One, Chapter One), to place in the bookmark-naming bar and then press "OK". I always save the bookmarks before I use the hyperlinking tool.
When I use the "hyperlink" tool, also in the "Insert" dropdown menu (after first highlighting what I want to turn into a hyperlink), it always brings up one little window first and inside of that one, I click the little target icon (looks like a bullseye target). This then brings up another little window that allows me to click the bookmarks dropdown menu. I then click the correct bookmark and then the "apply" prompt, afterward, also clicking the "apply" prompt found in the other little window (first click "apply" in the small window & secondly in the larger window). This then makes the hyperlink and they become blue-underlined. Sometimes the blue-underlining doesn't appear until you close the doc and reopen it.
You then just repeat the process for each hyperlink. I's funny how these type things are difficult to describe in writing. Must be why business writers who write product descriptions and directions make good money.
Sorry if you didn't need this but it might help someone else reading-in.
04-21-2013 02:52 PM - edited 04-21-2013 02:58 PM
Thanks, Y'all. I thought about adding h1, h2 and h3 tags to each section, chapter and exercise to create a hierarchy, but then got caught up in other experirements. That's probably the way to do it. Indents in the TOC could be causing problems, too. I'm working on four projects, but I'll get to this eventually and report back.
04-21-2013 03:47 PM
Indents are really a problem at Amazon KDP because they display the free viewing portion, from the perspective of regular Kindles, rather than Kindle Fires. They incorporated a default indentation into the publishing platform which I don't like. It indents the blurb portion of ebooks I submit from OpenOffice, in wacky ways if I don't go in and use the "Manual Break" prompt for line breaks and page breaks.
You can look at a doc and it looks like these things are separated correctly but the mock kindle viewer in the publishing platform doesn't properly recognize breaks, unless done via the "Manual Break" tool. I find the opposite to be true with the former Pubit platform -- it sometimes ran paragraphs and lines together if they weren't separated using the "Manual Break" tool. The point being that word programs vary a lot in their ability to help you format ebooks and can be frustrating.
04-21-2013 09:30 PM
I went ahead and started working on this. I took out all indents in the TOC and hyperlinked some text in it that I didn't bother hyperlinking. That way it's a continuous set of links, some with font sizes larger than others to show hierarchy to readers. Now it only recognizes two chapters and they have funny names like file name.
I used page breaks instead of section breaks and have heard that's a no no with B&N. I wonder if the fact that no section breaks are before and after the TOC has something to do with all this. I might put this aside and ask a professional formatter for advice. If I get it, I'll post it here so that someone can get a solution if they google this problem.