New User
Chimeric-Press
0 Kudos

How do I get a picture book converted for PubIt?

I published a couple  32 page picture books and plan to do about 3 a year. I currently have each page as a PDF, the whole book as a single PDF, and each page as a jpeg. All the text is imbedded in the images, like most picture books. How can I convert the picture book to ePUB for NOOK?

Thanks

Distinguished Correspondent
Mrs-Smith
0 Kudos

Re: How do I get a picture book converted for PubIt?

Honestly, I'm not sure that you will be able to :smileysad: And the reason I say that is that there is a size limit to our books. 20MB. Now I'm not sure how big your picture book is, but if it's over that, it will not upload. Not to mention a pdf uploaded doesn't convert well at all. At least no one that's ever tried has ever come in here and said they had any sort of success with it. But who knows, maybe yours will as long as your file isn't too big. If that doesn't work, then I'd try to convert your pdf to epub first then see how large your file is before uploading.

Good Luck! and let us know how it turns out for you :smileyvery-happy:

Frequent Contributor
TSCerys
0 Kudos

the InDesign software sounds like it might be useful for...

the InDesign software sounds like it might be useful for you.  Granted, I haven't used it and I don't know exactly how it would work for this kind of thing, but overall it's very good for eBook formatting.  You can buy it flat out or they have a subscription model for month to month use, too.

If you want to see how it goes, you could also try converting pdf to epub using Calibre.  That option is free, but I couldn't tell you how it'll turn out.  I don't think it'd be too difficult/bad, but when you add pictures to eBooks it can get a lot more difficult/trickier than otherwise.

Contributor
Manga_University
0 Kudos

My company publishes educational comic books, and have converted our print titles to ePub. For a nominal fee, we'd be willing to assist you. If you are interested or would like more information, please let me know.
Frequent Contributor
SF50
0 Kudos

Chimeric-Press:

Two rules of thumb for getting picture books to work right as EPUBs are it should be longer than it is wide, landscape format doesn't work out for everyone who would want to read your book. Secondly the text that's  imbedded in the images must be large enough to read on the smaller devices. If you have 12pt text in the images and put that in an epub it's going to be nearly impossible to read right on the smaller devices. On a PC/Mac it will likely be fine but you'll anger all the Nook owners that buy it, and rightfully so.

As for file size, with 32 pages you should be able to keep it under 20 megs easily enough but be aware of how big each page is being saved as so you don't have to go back through it and adjust them over and over again.

eB Format - eBook conversions and formatting

SF

Contributor
Ellie12
0 Kudos

I have the picture book in photoshop psd files. What is my next step? Do I change the psd files to jpgs? And if so, what size? And do I then insert into a word doc?

I'd really appreciate some advice!

Contributor
Ellie12
0 Kudos

I have a picture book in psd files. Does anyone know how I upload them into pubit? for a Nook book. Do I change to jpg? and if so, what size works best? I'd really appreciate some advice.

Frequent Contributor
SF50
0 Kudos

Yes you'll want them as JPGs. Or PNGs but I prefer JPGs because they're smaller.

I can't give you pointers as far as how to save an MS  Word doc for PubIt's conversion system. The only files I produce for PubIt or send to it are EPUBs.

There are some other people on this forum that may be able to give you good tips on how to get your picture book formatted properly for PubIt's conversion system though, just gotta hope they see this thread.

Good luck,

SF

eB Format - eBook conversions and formatting

Contributor
Ellie12
0 Kudos

Thank you for your reply. Could you tell me - when I convert the psd files into jpgs -- what size should they be? Do I make the psd file a 9 x 6 size and a 92 dpi? Would that work? I appreciate you helping.