New User
We-The-Peepers
0 Kudos

How to publish picture books on the Nook

I put the images of my picture book in a word doc and uploaded it, but the preview image only showed a portion of the image.  What are the specs of the word doc for size?  Are there any - What is the best way to format a picture book for the Nook>?  Is there a way to submit a pdf?

Frequent Contributor
kateharp
0 Kudos

Re: How to publish picture books on the Nook

I wrote to Barnes and Noble Pubit Staff and they said:

The NOOKcolor screen is designed to display images at full screen when
the images are RGB

But I find that way too big.  Anyone else have a clue?

K.A. Harper
 ~   "Publish Your Article on the Kindle"  & Other How-To Booklets  ~
http://howtobook.blogspot.com/

"How to Publish Your Article on the Kindle and Nook"
http://howtobook.blogspot.com/ | kindle.harper@gmail.com
Contributor
Statue_Books
0 Kudos

I'm trying to upload comics and I am converting them to ePub using Calibre but when I preview an uploaded ePub on the 'Add a Title' page, each page of the comic only shows a portion of the page because the pages are so big. Any idea how to make the pages fit? I think Calibre is saving them in the ePub as JPEGS.

Frequent Contributor
kateharp
0 Kudos

I have the same problem as statue_books

-Kate

"How to Publish Your Article on the Kindle and Nook"
http://howtobook.blogspot.com/ | kindle.harper@gmail.com
Frequent Contributor
226press
0 Kudos

I'm including cover images in my books that are 800 pixel high and that seems to work fine. But that's with a hand built ePub. You may need to do likewise for a picture book.
New User
We-The-Peepers
0 Kudos

I finally figured it out.  My picture book is made up entirely of jpgs that I finally took the time and inserted into a word doc.  I had not luck with a program called pdftoepub - a free conversion program.  I made the page size in the word doc 3" x 4.25"  (even though my images are square).  When I uploaded to Pubit - it worked and the images fit into the screen when I previewed it.  A word doc is also the way to upload images to Kindle, but it has to be a doc and not docx. 

Contributor
Statue_Books
0 Kudos

Using the Word Document method, when you preview your ePub in PubIt, does the size of the pages vary from Color Nook to regular Nook? When I preview in the Color Nook I have to make it smaller so that it all fits in the regular Nook screen. If that makes sense.

New User
We-The-Peepers
0 Kudos

Good question  I haven't previewed it in the regular Nook - I sized it for the Color Nook because it is a very colorful picture book.  When I try it in the regular Nook I will let you know.

New User
stefc
0 Kudos

I wrote an illustrated children's book and had the same problem.  But I got it to work. I  put the jpg images in a word doc.  I tried different sizes for the images.The size of the image that worked best was 2.8" wide (you can right click on the image in word and click on "size" to resize the image.)  My images were pretty short so I wasn't too concerned with the height - Word will resize the height when you put in the width.  I could get 2 images on a word page and that translated to one image on each Nook page. It all fit perfectly when I previewed it.  My text and illustration was incorporated in one image. That way I could use a more kid friendly font.

Reader
Arial_Burnz
0 Kudos

I'm just now researching how to publish my children's book to the ColorNook. I see your dimensions are 3" x 4.25"...but is that 3" W x 4.25" Tall? I noticed the two children's books I have on the ColorNook are landscape in orientation, meaning I have to turn my ColorNook to the side to see the book, making your dimensions 4.25" W x 3" T...yes?. Are you publishing your children's book in PORTRAIT or LANDSCAPE?

Thank you!!!

Arial Burnz
www.ArialBurnz.com

The first book in my series is FREE for the NOOK - Midnight Conquest - Book 1 of the Bonded By Blood Vampire Chronicles
Frequent Contributor
CodyFord
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I use Sigil for ebook creation, and I definitely suggest it. It's free.

I formatted my children's book at first to cover the entire Nook Color screen in portrait view. But doing that will limit availability with the Nook for PC application. Full screen images will get cut off if they are using the Nook for PC app.

I've loaded a preview of the images I use in my children's book. (It is a crude example as a proof of concept.)

http://www.fitzgiggles.com/NookSample.html

They have regular text between the images, so no matter how the margins or text is formatted the images always display correctly for the Nook COlor and Nook for PC.

I prefer a landscape children's picture book, but I didn't want to exclude Nook for PC users.

New User
We-The-Peepers
0 Kudos

Yes, I have published mine in portrait.  I uploaded mine to the Nook from a pdf file, but I had to get them in epub format in order to gt them in the iBookstore.  I found a company that can put them in the epub format for a very reasonable price and then you can upload those to all of the e-devices.

New User
holdyourshape
0 Kudos

Could you send or post the name of the company that has done this for you? My original booklets were made in in design, but become scrambled when we move to epub. Need help. I am not a computer whiz.

Contributor
WBY3
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

This may not be the information you are looking for, but it may help:

I recently published a manuscript with 204 images on Nook and Kindle, not that it was easy.  There are good discussions by man2010 (aka jtorrence) in these forums and Kindle Formatting forums you should look at.  For the record I did it in the following steps:

Wrote the manuscript and TOC in Word 2003.

Saved it as filtered HTML;

Used SIGIL to see it in WYSIWYG; made changes in code by cutting and pasting to adjust image position and spacing, and to correct TOC. Then saved as EPUB;

Used CALIBRE to change EPUB to MOBI for Kindle and to Calibre EPUB for Nook (SIGIL EPUB would not upload to Nook correctly) and uploaded.

If you want to see an ebook with 204 images, download the sample (What Your Doctor Won't Tell You About Your Lower Back), not that it's perfect, yet, as jtorrence has kindly pointed out.