Distinguished Wordsmith
TylerAE
0 Kudos

Is PubIt! a good idea?

Hi, I recently finished a book and I was thinking of publishing it through PubIt!, but I'm not sure if I should try pursuing traditional publishing first. How would you market your book on PubIt!? How would you create cover art on Pubit!? After all, I am no artist. One last question, how hard is it to get an ebook from PubIt! if you don't have a nook or kindle, etc? I'm just confused because I hope that several people will read my book, but I'm not sure if PubIt! will help me reach a wide audience because you have to have electronic devices to get ebooks. 

Distinguished Correspondent
Mrs-Smith
0 Kudos

Re: Is PubIt! a good idea?

I want to believe that Pubit is a good idea. I have a book out through pubit and while this month is dragging on slow as a snail, I want to believe that in the end I've made a good decision to publish indie.

Go for it. What have you to lose? 

Melissa

Cloud Nine (A Paranormal Romance of the Guardians of Man)  

Frequent Contributor
tjatkins
0 Kudos

Pubit is a great idea for a first time author with no background of success.

What possibly hbad could come of it?

If you do really great, you may get a traditional publisher to come calling.

If you just do great, then you can make a thousand bucks in extra income each month.

If you merely do ok, then you can make a hundred bucks in extra income each month and no harm done.

New User
CoffeeLover73
0 Kudos

I totally agree!  I just joined and I can't wait too finish my book!  What better way is there to venture out and get your name and skill out there?  Go for it!  It's free anyway!

Dare to Live Your Dreams- @clkaws
https://twitter.com/CLKAWS
Contributor
MPHeart
0 Kudos

It is very well worth it.  Just like the above said what do you have to lose?  Also iphones, ipads, etc all have applications for the nook and kindle so it is not just the actual devices that are being used to purchace.  Not sure about other phones and devices but I am sure there are apps for those as well.  Also with the nook you can download it and read on your computer. 

Distinguished Correspondent
Shopaholic

I have two women's fiction ebooks published in the "Willow Ryan" series through PubIt!, and I recommend that you try it out.  Like others have said, you don't have anything to lose, and the more publicity and recognition you get, the better off you'll be.  Traditional publishing is very hard to break into, but that is also worth a try.  If you want to get in with the big publishing houses, you will need to get a literary agent first, which can also be difficult.  Just remember, anything is possible, and you'll never know unless you try.

ebooks available through B&N can be read on the NOOK of course, and also on PCs, Macs, iPod Touches, iPads, iPhones, and Blackberries by downloading the free app.  Same goes for ebooks on Amazon, only instead of the NOOK they have the Kindle.  Good luck in your future as a writer!

Shannon

http://willowwriter.blogspot.com

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Secrets/Shannon-Higgins/e/2940011890567/?itm=1&USRI=shannon+higgins

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Promises/Shannon-Higgins/e/2940012736529/?itm=2&USRI=shannon+higgin...

"You found the bandages inside the pen/ And the stitches on the radio." - Gaslight Anthem

Follow my blog at http://willowwriter.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
Swordarkeereon

Tyler - the thing you have to remember with going Indie is you are going to have to do everything yourself. You better have a little extra money (to hire people to do stuff for you) or be willing to learn a lot of new skills. Once you go Indie you're no longer just an author, you're an interior book designer, cover creator, marketing person, etc... No one else is going to do any of these things for you unless you pay them to.

So first you need to have a program to create covers with (or hire a cover artist). When I started out I hired someone to do my covers until I learned how to do some of them myself (I still hire out covers here and there). Next - it's up to you to give your book a professional presentation and that includes either hiring an editor or trying to do the best you can utilizing grammar maven friends who work for cheap, or by triple checking your work. Then you have to learn how to do all the interior formatting (of course for e-books it's easier, you can get away with just uploading your formatted word file, but I do paperbacks, too).

It's important to remember that PubIt is just a distributor -- not a publisher. They merely make your book available to your readers. Gathering readers and letting them know your book is available is your job. Just by posting your book on Barnes & Noble is not enough (usually) to start making sales. You have to actively promote it.

If you don't mind a lot of work, Indie publishing *can* be a very rewarding experience and a great deal of fun. But I have met a few authors for whom all that work turned them off of writing anything else or Indie publishing anything else. It's certainly not for everyone.  

-------------
www.sjreisner.com
Reader
iSherry

5 stars for Pubit ! It is wonderful..... I introduced my book MY Lying Eyes....A TRUE ufo STORY... a childrens book 9-12 ( Lollipopsuger ) also a Health book ( Help!!! Nuclear Radiation Symptoms and Treatments all on April 6, 2011...)on both Pubit and the other online eBook (amazon) my sales started flying off the Pubit site you can see by the reviews . On Pubit you can see my true story My Lying Eyes is a great selling book ( not at .99 )with the Nuclear book getting half the sales as My Lying Eyes. My childrens book Lollipopsuger is at a slow pace, and this was my favorite one?????.

My other account (amazon) is 87% less sales over all. :}

Thanks you Barnes & Noble & Pubit Sheryl

see pricing & reviews below

http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?WRD=sheryl+trimble&page=index&prod=univ&...

Reader
iSherry
0 Kudos

Shannon Higgings I read your book Secrets BTW...

Great book! I will recommend it on my sites...

I love to read daily it helps my mind  branch out and learn new things. 

Sheryl

http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?WRD=sheryl+trimble&page=index&prod=univ&...

New User
SloanmColl

I am also quite new to Pubit!, but after years of seeking traditional publication for my three completed novels, I decided to be a bit more proactive. One of my biggest drawbacks as a writer is that I am not genre specific; that is I do not write in just one area such as horror, romance, sci-fi,e etc....of the seven works I have so far begun, only two live in the same pigeonhole.

Oftentimes, the agents queried don't bother making any reply, but those who did opened my eyes.  I would receive compliments/appreciation for my style, the way my characters developed, my storylines....but the bottom line has always been...'but I can't market you.'  Translation: my name is not Stephen King, Anne Rice, or Jane Austen, nor am I a close friend or relative of any of the aforementioned authors or of anyone else in the industry, hence, I have no 'hook', no network, no name recognition behind my work that will get me in front of a publishing house editor.

This is the catch 22 of the publication business, you are nobody til somebody publishes you, but you have to be somebody to get published in the first place.  So called "contests" work pretty much the same way....the entry fee is really a reading fee and it has been my experience that even the contests who claim to be giving an outlet to the voice that hasn't yet been heard, tend to give it (the 'prize' of traditional publication) to someone who already has some sort of foothold in the industry.

I considered PODs, but there were too many pitfalls involved and no quick way to get the books into brick & mortar sales in spite of the up front fees. Many want to sell marketing packages that can be quite expensive, some just ship you a box of books & you're on your own. 

Then I got the email about Pubit! and started thinking....from thinking about it to planning it to deciding which novel would stand the best chance of catching public notice and from their to reformating to epub specifications.  I am not extremely computer literate, but it was a much easier process than I thought it would be. Even creating my own book cover was not overly difficult. When I look through the lists of Pubit! books, the ones with  no cover really do no present was well as those that have it; the advice given in the Pubit! FAQs on that subject were truly quite accurate.

There is still the marketing angle to be considered. I have found a lot of good hints in the threads about marketing, have created my own website, put that website url on my profile page of every site I belong to & of course, am making ample use of the good old fashioned word of mouth.  

I do not expect it to happen overnight, but now I feel that I have a more active part in the process. 

So yes, from my POV, this is definitely a good idea.

New User
JoanReeves
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm new so please bear with me. I've got 2 books up already so I know PubIt is a good idea.

What I don't know is whether to upload an ebook directly to PubIt or to use Smashwords for the upload and check epub for distribution which will send it to Nook, Sony Reader, Kobo, and a few lesser readers.

I searched for this topic but couldn't find any discussion of it.

If you upload via PubIt, does your ebook get made available to the other readers using epub format?

Would love the info if any of you PubIt vets know.

Best regards,

Joan Reeves

Best regards,
Joan Reeves
Frequent Contributor
sayndee
0 Kudos

Sending you a private message...Check envelope at top.

Elaine
Reader
Bakari

[ Edited ]

Tyler,

I have fifteen books on Pubit (Barnes & Noble) and I receive royalties every month. My bank account is not complaining. I also publish on Amazon, Smashwords and Lulu. It is an excellent way to build a passive income and an even better a tool to get your work out to the masses. 

Remember, you can always pull your book later on if you are offered a lucrative traditional publisher deal.

Author of "eBook Magic: An Overall Approach to Writing and Selling E-books on Amazon, Barnes & Noble and Everywhere Else" 

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/eBook-Magic/Bakari-Akil-II-PhD/e/2940012352460/?itm=1&USRI=ebook+ma...

Frequent Contributor
chezjim

"Worth it" depends a great deal on what your other opportunities are and what you expect out of the whole process.

If you've got any realistic shot at a traditional publisher, it's probably worth following up on it. In my own case, though, I write on a lot of niche subjects and am already pessimistic about getting publishers to take them on. What's more, if you've ever tried to write a serious book proposal, it's time consuming. And most likely will go nowhere. So for my quirkier subjects, I feel safest just getting work out there and seeing who wants it.

If you ARE hoping to go with an established publisher, I'd be careful about self-publishing first. They feel like the bloom is off the rose, unless you manage to show high sales (in which case, you might not want to shift that profit to them anyway).

I use Smashwords as well and have done well with them. My big hestitation is the lack of control over formatting, so I typically do my own Kindle and Nook books. But you can do them all too.

Jim Chevallier
North Hollywood, CA
http://www.chezjim.com
"Monologues for Teens and Twenties", "How to Kill a Peacock", "Paris Poems", "August Zang and the French Croissant", "Suicide Monologues for Actors and Others", etc.
Distinguished Wordsmith
TylerAE
0 Kudos

Thanks for all of the input everyone! I am just a teenager trying to make it in the book industry and so far have come to all dead ends. It looks like pubit is the best decision for me because I want people to read my story and enjoy it. And hopefully one day if I'm really successful, it'll catch the eye of an agent or publisher. Have any of you heard success stories where someone has gotten a deal for traditional publishing? I want to put every thing in perspective. 

Alex. 

Contributor
WriterGig
0 Kudos

I'm planning to try PubIt! for several nonfiction books ... from my research, if you market your books well, it can certianly be very worth it.

Frequent Contributor
BK201
0 Kudos

ADVICE FOR NEWBIES: 

If you can get everything done right The First Time... yes! 

Because God help you if you make a mistake somewhere along the line and actually need some support with a real person, even through emails... B&N will NOT RESPOND! 

---

JTF-3 Counter Ops 

PANDORA

New User
Dinghus
0 Kudos

Self-publishing is the way to go these days. The traditional publishers are almost impossible to break into and if you do they will rip you off. I self-publish and am doing reasonably well (still growing).  A good friend of mine actually went the traditional route and got published in his very tiny niche. His sales are great but his royalties are almost non-existant because the publisher sucks up almost all of it.  He is now going to go self-published so he will get more of a cut.

It is funny how people told me the same things about hard work etc and yet the books I have not pushed at all are doing the best.  I did a few quicky books (non-fiction) just to test the e-publishing waters and to my surprise they are accounting for 80% of my royalties right now.  One of them has gone pretty high on Amazon. With no effort or promotion on my part.  Even the cover was just a slap together with MS Paint.

The books I've been promoting are not doing so well (but not dead either) but as I continue in the niche sales are growing. Hopefully soon I will be filthy stinking rich and can retire to my own private island. :smileyhappy:

New User
JoanReeves
0 Kudos

Hello, since I posted a plea last week regarding whether to opt in or out for B&N's PubIt since Smashwords distributes here too, I thought I'd post what I found out about this issue.

Some of you may already know this, but I couldn't find the information by doing a search of the topics in B&N Community which is why I posed the question.

1. Do publish your books with Smashwords so you can reach the lesser markets too. Instruction and style guide on the website.

2. When you publish with Smashwords, on the page where you're filling out the book info and setting the upload file, there is a section that lists all the different ebook formats from .epub to mobi to all the computer download file formats. Choose all of them so that your book will be converted to all the formats available.

3. When your book has been converted and published, go to your Dashboard, to Distribution Channel. Your book cover will be shown with boxes to check to opt in and opt out.

4. For Nook, if you want to publish directly via PubIt, as I determined was best, OPT OUT, for B&N.

5. Same with Kindle, if you want to upload directly to Kindle, OPT OUT for them.

6. The rest of the formats converted will be offered for Palm, Sony, Diesel Books, Kobo, and Apple bookstores IF your converted manuscript has no errors. Those with no errors are eligible for their premium catalog and that's how you get in the iBookstores which is a big deal. I know you can get PubIt app for iPad and iPhone but being in the iBookstores is desirable.

Hope this helps someone else since it took me a while to figure all this out.

Joan

Best regards,
Joan Reeves
New User
ShayneM
0 Kudos

Can I upload the SAME book on both NOOK and Kindle?  I'm going through the forums and FAQ's but not seeing anything that spells it out.  I'm about to upload my first book to PubIt and want to be sure if I upload it on Kindle that I'm not breaking any rules. 

Since you publish on both, I'm hoping you know.  Thanks!