Frequent Contributor
goldenstatewriter
0 Kudos

Leaving Barnes & Nobles

As of today I pulled half of my catalog off of Barnes & Nobles, and am now going through Smashwords.

Why? Because I have little to no faith in Barnes & Nobles anymore (Sadly). I have decided to see if maybe Smashwords, due to their larger size, and ability to hire lawyers, might be able to get better performance when it comes to the reporting of numbers.

If my numbers for the next 6 months stay the same, I'll then believe that it was the market that changed and it was only coincidence that it happened at the same time as the launch of the new nook press accounting system.

If my numbers do change (as in improve) then I will take the rest of my catalog there and cease doing business directly with B&N. It is going to suck getting paid quarterly instead of monthly, but there have been so -many- problems with sales reporting here that I've really lost faith. Which is extremely sad because I sell more books here than anyplace else - my target demographic for two of my pen names buys nooks, not kindles.

I just hope B&N manages to stay in the game, they have made me a nice piece of change and I would like to keep making it.

Frequent Contributor
TomRichardson
0 Kudos

Re: Leaving Barnes & Nobles

You also can "export" to B&N through draft2digital.com.
Frequent Contributor
TomRichardson
0 Kudos

What demographic are you talking about, that buys more Nooks than Kindles?
Frequent Contributor
goldenstatewriter
0 Kudos

women 30 and up. It was their target demographic from the begining and they hit it pretty well.

Distinguished Correspondent
javabird
0 Kudos

So, why are you leaving B&N if you sell more here? Seems like a better strategy would be to place books on multiple locations.
Frequent Contributor
TomRichardson

Because since Nook Press debuted, NOTHING works right, but sales reporting is especially broken. Meanwhile, B&N Corporate ignores our complaints.
Frequent Contributor
goldenstatewriter
0 Kudos

javabird wrote:
So, why are you leaving B&N if you sell more here? Seems like a better strategy would be to place books on multiple locations.

Because I have lost faith in the veracity of their reports. I have moved all of my slow sellers (which since nookpress came out turned into NO sellers) over to Smashwords. If I see sales there that are in line with what my sales were with those books before nookpress rolled out, I will then move my other sellers (which have seen a 50 percent sales decrease) over there as well.

Now it may be that they're just not advertising our books as well as they used to, or they're making them harder to find, but so much of this nookpress software is utter crap and poorly written, and not at all tested, that I would not be surprised to find out that it is not accurately reporting sales numbers.

But still, I saw a decrease in sales that coincided with the release of nookpress. So did several other people. So I am now doing a check of my own to see if I can determine the veracity of the reports here. Yes it may all be a coincidence, but as someone who tests software, websites, and hardware for a living, I do not belive much in coincidence and instead try to test everything.

Frequent Contributor
LearningIsland
0 Kudos

Please keep us updated on how things go. We would appreciate any information.

Thanks.

Frequent Contributor
goldenstatewriter
0 Kudos

Well the first report is in (B&N reports to Smashwords weekly) on some of my now 'under performers' in the last week I sold half as many copies as all of the month of August, and equal to the month of July.

Now this isn't really alot of books, these titles have been selling slow here for a while now, 5 or 10 a month (where they used to sell several a day). But now I'm seeing a book a day again on one set, but nothing on the other.

So it is way too early to tell at this time, but if these numbers continue throughout the month then I will start moving a few of the more popular titles and see if their sales go back up.

Frequent Contributor
LearningIsland
0 Kudos

Interesting! You have to wonder how many of those sales are based on the fact that the books would show up as a "new release", but it will be interesting to see if the sales hold.

Thanks for the update and please keep us informed.

Frequent Contributor
goldenstatewriter
0 Kudos

They don't show up as new releases. They actually show up on the same page as the B&N ones with the same release date and reviews. That was one of my biggest concerns with moving, I didn't want to lose my reviews, almost all of which are great ones.

Frequent Contributor
Windy30
0 Kudos

I don't think you will gain anything by going thru SW who won't police your sales.

I think that Barnes is losing money on their ebooks because they are losing money

on their nook sales.

Not enough new nook buyers.

My sales were growing so beautifully  up unti July and have taken a dive since then

only at Barnes.

It is driving a whole lot of us crazy.

:smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
goldenstatewriter
0 Kudos

I appear to be gaining barnes and nobles sales by going thru smashwords. I've already beat the numbers for the last two months. I'm not positive yet, but I'm starting to become convinced that barnes and nobles are mis-reporting sales numbers since they went to nook press - which has had numerous software issues so it it no surprise.

I'm going to miss the monthly paychecks, but if things don't change drastically sales wise in the next few days, I'm pulling out of barnes and noble completely and will only sell here via smashwords. I've just lost all faith here. I'll take money once a quarter versus almost a lot less money monthly.

Frequent Contributor
goldenstatewriter
0 Kudos

Okay, I had promised to update people on what has happened, and so far here it is:

I have 3 names selling here. One if mine, the other two are my pen names for different Genre's.

Here are my results after moving to Smashwords:

Author #1: Now on SW -> Still almost no sales per month. So no change.

Author #2: Now on SW -> increase in sales by 5x, even though all my other sales (author #3) are tanking. So almost back to normal.

Author #3: Still on B&N -> decrease in sales by 30 percent from last month (which was a decrease from the previous month).

I have now moved the slow sellers from Author #3 to Smashwords and am waiting to see what happens there. I have a new book in the works for #3, but it will not be released on B&N, instead I will go through SW. It is starting to look very much like B&N has a problem with their sales reporting. If the slow sellers from #3 pick up over the next two reporting periods (B&N reports weekly to SW) then I will move the remaining 8 books over to SW and cease all direct business with B&N.

Frequent Contributor
LearningIsland
0 Kudos

Thank you for keeping us updated. I have moved a few of my titles over to Smashwords, but so far have not had any sales reports. I moved mostly slow sellers, just to see if there would be any kind of a change. So far, nothing, but it has only been one reporting period, and maybe not a full one at that.

Frequent Contributor
goldenstatewriter
0 Kudos

Okay,

Here is the current state of my on-going experiment, based on what I have seen:

The data is too indeterminate to make a solid decision.

With some books I have seen better sales, with others the same. I can not make a fact based (or even statistics based) statement on this. I'd hoped for clearer results, but I can not come to any. That some books seem to sell better via Smashwords on B&N while others do not is quite puzzling. I am actually selling some on both channels here now and as sales when up, I'm just going to stay with that.

New User
Heroines-in-Love
0 Kudos

How's it gone since October?