Inspired Contributor
TheReluctantCritic
0 Kudos

Line Break Madness on Nook

Greetings All!

This, I suppose, is directed at the few who don't use Word or something like Scrivener to design their ePubs. I apologize in advance for the technical jargon used in this post. I just hope someone can help.

I hand-coded a book entirely in HTML and CSS. I learned from a book how to package ePubs. All HTML and CSS files passed validation. The ePub passed validation on the IDPF site. The book, when side-loaded on a Nook, looks beautiful. Everything displays as it should. The same goes for Adobe Digital Editions.

Even on the Nook Press site it looks good with the provided Nook Previewer.

BUT!

When I went to Barnes & Noble last night, to my horror I saw that on every Nook model that there are line breaks after EVERY paragraph. All of these would have been styled with p elements.

My CSS for p elements is as follows:

Code:
p
{
text-indent: 1.25em;
margin: 0;
}

The only exception is this CSS for the first paragraph of each chapter, and this comes after the first p element:

Code:
p.texttop
{
margin: 1.5em 0 0 0;
text-indent: 0;
}

I'm at a total loss. Nook Press Support, needless to say, was at a loss. I have verified also that after the KindleGen process, everything looks superb on the Kindle (though I am, of course, using a different CSS file for the Kindle as well as making the necessary mods in the ePub structure).

Any help would be groovy.

Thanks!

Greg

Reader
PublishTHIS
0 Kudos

Re: Line Break Madness on Nook

It's been two weeks so you might have already figured it out; but here's what I have for my stylesheet:

{

display: block;

line-height: 1.8;

margin-bottom: 0;

margin-left: 0;

margin-right: 0;

margin-top: 0;

padding-bottom: 0;

padding-left: 0;

padding-right: 0;

padding-top: 0;

text-align: justify;

text-indent: 5%

}

If you try it, let me know if it works for you, my paragraphs look good.