New User
StormMoonPress
0 Kudos

Missing Samples

Up through January or so, all my titles has samples available for people who were thinking of buying a book. My sales were steady and decent. I noticed, though, that the samples attached to my books are now missing. No one can try before they buy. I thought this might be a fluke, but then it appeared on Dear Author today and seems to be a wide-spread issue for people who self-pubbed erotic romance or erotica titles (though it may extend to those outside those genres, but that's the circle I run in). Many books now have no sampling, and sales are dropping. People won't buy what they can't sample. (In fact, one commentor called B&N to ask about my titles in particular, and B&N told them they would contact me for a sample. Excuse me? Samples were there before, they are not now. This isn't my issue.)

I've emailed B&N, as have others, but since I almost never receive a response via any email inquiry I send, I thought I might post here. Sampling is incredibly important, a necessary marketing item, and if the traditional publishers of erotic romance and erotica don't have their sampling stripped, I'm not sure why those of us who use PubIt! (because I use PubIt! as a micro publisher, not just to publish myself) should.

I did think to remove my titles from the Erotica category, but I feel that it would be disingenous to readers to do so. I would really appreciate some sort of response to know what's going on.

Sincerely,

S.L. Armstrong

Frequent Contributor
darthreader
0 Kudos

Re: Missing Samples

Samples are also missing on my children's books, so it is probably on B&N's To-Do list as they work to perfect the site. 

Frequent Contributor
rmsmi
0 Kudos

My book has been up for a month and still no sample for download. It's also a kid's book so I don't think they're targeting any specific genre. It would be helpful to have.

Contributor
Mister_Teacher
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm having the same issue.  My book is not erotica, and it's not children's either.  It's humor and education and general fiction, and it has no "Download sample" option either.  I agree with you that this is probably limiting sales!

Please let us know if anybody knows anything about this!

John Pearson

Learn Me Good

Contributor
Sammy311
0 Kudos

Lots of my public domain titles are missing samples, and they're non-erotica. I email PubIt! a couple weeks ago and they say they forward to their tech team to look into it

Contributor
Mister_Teacher
0 Kudos

I noticed that my book was listed as in the Public Domain as well, and I changed that.  If it's something that you've come up with yourself, it should not be public domain, correct? 

New User
biofab
0 Kudos