New User
JanuaryValentine
0 Kudos

Need Help with Whitespace (gaps) in Epub

Hello

My epub contains several areas of unwanted whitespace / gaps that appear as if a chapter has finished but when you turn the page, the chapter continues.

I have used Calibre and Sigil and have confirmed there is no coding that would cause these gaps, no page breaks or section breaks.  I've used this same original word doc on Amazon to create a Kindle book and it's perfect.

If there are no gaps in the source code, or when saving as a web page, filtered, how could the Pubit conversion created this?

Also - this epub doesn't pass Validation. When imported into Calibre > look and feel > remove spacing between paragraphs, it then passes the Validation, however, the gaps are not removed by Calibre.

Help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Correspondent
Strayer
0 Kudos

Re: Need Help with Whitespace (gaps) in Epub

Save as .doc in Word. If you have Word 2007 or 2010, save as Word 97-2003. Look at the formatting on your document. No double spacing. Use single or 1.5 Check the chapter breaks. If you have too many, delete one. You don't need to jump through hoops to upload an ebook. Ask questions if you get stuck. Good luck.
Distinguished Correspondent
Mrs-Smith
0 Kudos

Hmmm, not quite sure why it's not passing validation... without actually seeing your file, I would be guessing as to the actual problem. And using word 97-2003 seems to play nicer with pubit in the end, try saving your document that way first then start over with formatting.

Hope this helps :/

Correspondent
Strayer
0 Kudos

Thanks.
New User
eboepple
0 Kudos

I don't have a definitive answer, but in doing epub, I notice that e-book devices appear to start new pages when they have very long paragraphs coming up. I've rectified the problem by breaking up very long paragraphs. This is not a science, but it has "worked" somewhat for me.

Contributor
JayNuss
0 Kudos

going back to word, if you save it as an html file then convert that file in calibre it should hold its form perfectly in the majority of cases. ive done this with client's books in the past when nothing else works.
Frequent Contributor
555aaa
0 Kudos

Try changing widows to be 0 and orphans to be 0. That is, if you have a css stylesheet, and , say, a "basic" paragraph, make it say:

p.basic

{

widows:0

orphans:0

}

This seems to help a lot; I have the same problem if orphans are set to something more normal like 2.

Frequent Contributor
sayndee
0 Kudos

For one, no double spacing except when beginning a new chapter or section.

In Word -- at top....Where it says normal. Right click...then Left click Modify ...Left click format, then paragraph....Then check box that says "Don't add space between paragraphs of the same style." This might help.

Elaine
Correspondent
Strayer
0 Kudos

Thank you Elaine. I didn't know this, either.
Frequent Contributor
sayndee
0 Kudos

Strayer, you are welcome.

Elaine