New User
vorrik
0 Kudos

Nook Color MAGAZINE/Picture book/Comic book (non ePub) Publication Formats

[ Edited ]

So ive created a comic book. Each page is an image (there is no real text).

If you try to create an epub out of a picture book, you get this thick white border around the "page" (picture file) and the picture is shrunk down in the middle.

However, I noticed on the NOOK COLOR that magazines and picture books open differently than epub books.

HOW DO WE SUBMIT MAGAZINES, COMICS AND PICTURE BOOKS FOR THE NOOK COLOR??? There is NO help on the formating guide (it only talks about epub as though thats the only form of digital publishing anyone else wants to produce) and every time i ask this question to bn@pubit.com i get this canned response "we dont offer assistance with formatting" as though I dont know how to format an epub...

I DONT WANT TO FORMAT AN EPUB,,, I just need information on what format their Magazines and picture books are in or how to submit that for digital publishing for the Nook Color!

Correspondent
Strayer
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color MAGAZINE/Picture book/Comic book (non ePub) Publication Formats

I have text and pictures. This is what I did:

Word 2003, saved as .doc. If you have a new version of Word, they say to save as older version of Word.

I inserted a picture, saved as PNG in MS Paint, into the Word doc. I made a page break. I then inserted the next picture and did a page break.

The text was separate. I inserted the picture in the text where it belonged. Page break before and after picture.

Some have used section breaks, but I haven't tried that.

It's all one document.

Pubit! had no trouble converting . The book looked fine.

New User
vorrik
0 Kudos

Yea you can publish books like this, but the pages arent edge to edge images.. there is a thick white border around the images.

Download a magazine or open a picture book on the Nook Color - the pictures are edge to edge... on the magazines, you can even zoom in.

You cant do this with epub. There is another format or some kind of program that opens up magazines and picture books. these things are publsihed on the color nook but B&N for some reason isnt sharing the info on this.

Is there anyone that publishes magazines or true picture books? Download "Fun Facts About Pets" or "The Elephant's Child" picture book, or any magazine and you will see the difference from those items and an epub book and how its displayed on the Nook Color.

Contributor
Mfontaine12
0 Kudos

I TOTALLY know where you are coming from. I've been working on formating my children's book for the iPad, Kindle Fire and now the NOOK color. TOTALLY frustrating...and I'm somewhat of a techie. I've been developing websites for 10+ years. Everyone has something different to say, and by the time I read it, technology has changed.

The problem is we are ahead of the curve. I'm sure by next year all of this will be a breeze for newbies. I was able to borrow a friend's iPad to work on that version, and my husband got me a Kindle Fire, but I'm working blindfolded with the NOOK color. I get the feeling their documentation is for the regular NOOK. I believe the NOOK COLOR may be a different ball of wax. Best of luck!

Contributor
Mfontaine12
0 Kudos

Reader
SylvanDellEric
0 Kudos

Hi Vorrik,

I'm trying to convert our picture books to look like something you'd find in the same vein as NookKids and I'm also having very little luck. Those magazine files that let you zoom in are actually called .OPF files. They are regular EPUB files with an extra layer of coding called a "replica map" that supposedly makes the zoom function work.

The following link will explain it alot better than I can and they also have a sample file available for download: http://code.google.com/p/epub-revision/wiki/BNFixedFormat

I've been playing around with the file but it is WAY out of my league right now. I'm also not entirely sure if its even possible to put this on sale through PubIt....may have to go through some other channel in B&N.

Reader
SylvanDellEric

Correction: It's a .DRP file...not an .OPF.......this week is getting to me.

Contributor
Delwilliams
0 Kudos

I think the REAL magazines and such have actually created an app not an epub. It depends on the e-reader what can be seen, and most are NOT capable of magazine layout. 

Contributor
Atomical-Fabmagical
0 Kudos

The real magazines, the ones with publishing contracts with B&N have not created a distinct app, if you take the sample file and add it manually to your device, you can see the formatting in action.

I added a post about it here: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/PubIt-Help-Board/Nook-Color-Fixed-Format-ePub/m-p/1267527/hig...

What seems to be unanswered anywhere is whether or not this type of formatting, DRP magazine style formatting is available by publishing through pubit. My guess, sadly, is that it is not.