Contributor
happycampers2
0 Kudos

Nook Kids Read To Me e-Books

I am trying to create children's books for the Nook Kids Read To Me format.  How do I do that with PubIt?  Is it even possible?  Is there another software that I need? 

Contributor
happycampers2
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Kids Read To Me e-Books

Are these boards monitored by Barnes  & Noble support staff anymore?

Frequent Contributor
CodyFord

I'm not sure if this board is moderated by B&N or not.  Doesn't look like it.

I'm working on a children's book as well. As far as I can tell, the only way to get the double page layout, landscape or Read to me features is to use the SDK. (Software Development Kit).

I'm a programmer, but I don't want to re-invent the wheel for my book using the SDK. Hopefully something will be offered through the PubIt platform to assist in the above.

Until then it appears portrait with limited illustration formatting is the only thing available right now. If I am wrong PLEASE let me know what capabilities are available outside of the SDK.

Contributor
happycampers2
0 Kudos

I could very well be wrong, but I cannot imagine that BN is providing the SDK as the only tool for creating the Nook Kids (Read to Me) books for Nickelodeon and the other children's publishers that they have partnered with.  It seems like they would have some sort of standard for everything to make them work the same. 

Right now, I'd first like to figure out a way for books to autorotate into landscape mode and allow for turning pages properly.  When I do a book in landscape mode, they just turn the nook sideways but then still have to turn the pages as if the book is in portrait mode.  It's very silly if you ask me.

We have done many flash games and children's animated educational material.  We have a nice production studio and would like to take advantage of that for creating children's books for the "read to me" section.  There is an email address in the FAQ but there doesn't seem to be anyone answering the emails.  When I called their registration line, the support person told me that they do monitor and respond on this forum.  I guess I'll just have to wait.

Frequent Contributor
CodyFord
0 Kudos

I understand your points, however Flash programming won't be of any use on this platform.

The B&N "team" works with major publishers to provide all the bells and whistles for converting established printed children's books, but to date I have only been pointed to the SDK to achieve the same functionality. Documentation is extremely poor for the SDK, I might add.

Currently even basic image justification is an issue, much less landscape mode, or more.

If there is an easy fix to give us these enhanced publishing features, I haven't discovered it.

Frequent Contributor
rmsmi
0 Kudos

"It seems like they would have some sort of standard for everything to make them work the same."

Well, I believe that standard is in fact SDK. Even it you knew how to program it you probably wouldn't be allowed to upload in that format. The PubIt portal simply doesn't offer that format for upload. It's only for the mainstream publishers. Hopefully the Nook Color will have a firmware update that will address the landscape issues and a new .epub format that will address pinch and zoom.

Contributor
happycampers2

I heard back from the support team via email.  They informed me that they do have a standard for their proprietary Nook kids format.  They are currently developing the tools for PubIt users to be able to publish books in this format but are still relatively far from completion.  Until that tool is completed, it seems all Nook Kids books are produced in this format by BN and they are only working with a few partners to "test the water" with this format before they release it to the general public. 

Contributor
WriterGig
0 Kudos

I'm interested in this as well. They gave no indication of the time frame?

New User
Brooks_Jones
0 Kudos

Does anyone know if there is an update on this issue? I am interested in knowing when these capabilities (Read to Me, landscape orientation) will be available too.