New User
hcobb
0 Kudos

Note: Not compatible with Mac and Blackberry

That's the note I found attached to my book:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/books/product.aspx?ean=2940011884818

I uploaded as ePub, so what do I need to change to fix this?

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Re: Note: Not compatible with Mac and Blackberry

[ Edited ]

The current Mac and Blackberry reader apps can't handle EPUB and require the old eReader PDB format. That's the root of the issue. I don't know if PubIt! provides any way to support those platforms. I checked a bunch of PubIt! e-books and they all have that limitation.

Added: I just check the Service Policies for PubIt!. They say:

After purchasing, customers can download and read your eBook on a NOOK eBook reader or on a PC, iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, or Android smartphone enabled with our free NOOK eReading software.

Mac and Blackberry aren't on the list.

Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

That's too bad.  I asked a similar question in the E-books thread regarding someone's new book and I noticed the note at the bottom of the book description. I wasn't sure if I would be able to use the book once I purchased it.  I use my Mac all the time with EPUB books.  I use the B&N software for Nook.  They offer it specifically for Mac and Blackberry, too. Perhaps PubIt! doesn't have that latest update in software. There are bound to be quite a few of us with this same question.   Thanks for your help.

Doug_Pardee wrote:

The current Mac and Blackberry reader apps can't handle EPUB and require the old eReader PDB format. That's the root of the issue. I don't know if PubIt! provides any way to support those platforms. I checked a bunch of PubIt! e-books and they all have that limitation.

Added: I just check the Service Policies for PubIt!. They say:

After purchasing, customers can download and read your eBook on a NOOK eBook reader or on a PC, iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, or Android smartphone enabled with our free NOOK eReading software.

Mac and Blackberry aren't on the list.

Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

blkeyesuzi wrote:

I use my Mac all the time with EPUB books.  I use the B&N software for Nook.  They offer it specifically for Mac and Blackberry, too. Perhaps PubIt! doesn't have that latest update in software.

I'm not sure that I follow.

The software that B&N offers for Mac doesn't work for B&N EPUBs. It's supposed to, but something's not right. The software that B&N offers for Blackberry doesn't even know about B&N EPUBs. So, right now there's no reliable way to read B&N EPUBs on Mac or Blackberry. As a result, B&N downloads eReader PDBs to the B&N software on those platforms. (You'll notice that the B&N software for Mac and Blackberry is called "eReader" while the software for the other platforms is called "NOOK".)

EPUBs without DRM, or EPUBs with Adobe DRM, can be read with non-B&N software such as Adobe Digital Editions. B&N EPUBs, though, can only be opened by B&N "NOOK" software—which isn't available for Mac or Blackberry. :smileytongue:

If you chose to publish your e-book without DRM, it should be readable on a Mac using Calibre, Adobe Digital Editions, or any other EPUB reader. I'm ignorant of Blackberry, so I don't know what EPUB readers are available for them. But if you chose to have your e-book DRMed, there's no reliable software for Mac, and no software at all for Blackberry, that can open it.