New User
JaylanPHNX
0 Kudos

Page Breaks are MIA

I'm uploading a .doc file with page breaks inserted, but all my breaks in the preview are just gone. Any ideas? Thanks all.

Correspondent
Strayer
0 Kudos

Re: Page Breaks are MIA

Some have said that section breaks work with Pubit instead of page breaks. I used .doc and page breaks and they worked.

I have no idea why this is.

You may want to try the section breaks and see if that works. If not, post again.

Someone will know what to do about this.

Frequent Contributor
SF50
0 Kudos

This has more to do with sending up a .DOC and letting BN do the conversion than doing the conversion yourself (or having someone do it for you). I use page breaks. I use tons of page breaks. One title I have, because of what it is, has over 360 page breaks and they work fine. Because I sent up an EPUB file not a .DOC

I don't know why BN's conversion doesn't like the page breaks in its conversion from .DOC, but when I make EPUBs with them it's not a problem at all.

Strayer: See. This is what I was talking about in that other thread that you said you sent a .DOC and never had an issue. - Some people's formatting will have an issue, but if you send it in the final format(EPUB) you know it'll display properly. (Sorry, I couldn't resist the "I told you so", but I mean it in a nice way :smileyhappy:

Correspondent
Strayer
0 Kudos

If you look at the formatting in the .doc that has problems, you can see that there is extra formatting. That louses up a conversion. The newer Word also has problems.

Too many people use the .doc for it to be bad.

If my experience has been that .doc in Word 2003 with no formatting or font extras works, then it is a valid statement. I state what I did and don't say that anyone has to to do that. I also have text and pictures that came out well and just perhaps someone could be helped by my experience.

I do computer tech and the more complicated someone makes things, the harder is is to straighten things out. I did a lot of reading and asking questions before I uploaded here and on Kindle.

Open Office is probably better to use. Word has always had stuff in it that messes things up when working with other programs.

Frequent Contributor
SF50
0 Kudos

A bit more defensive of a response that I expected considering I was just pointing out that this is what I was referring to in the other thread.
My point was that if you send an EPUB then it doesn't matter what you have in formatting. You don't have to have it with "no formatting or font extras". My statement doesn't need to be qualified like that. Simply, so long as the EPUB looks how you like, you're good to go and can expect no surprises.
The "too many people use the .doc for it to be bad" is a bit of false logic since all that really counts is how the BN converter is coded and tested.
My issue with the "send a .DOC and hope for the best" or "adjust your .DOC till BN converts it right" attitude is this: Most people worked on whatever they're publishing long and hard. They've written a good story, one they're proud of, read it through and proof read the ---- out of it and they've formatted it how they want it. Your method at times would make them compromise on how they wanted it because you made the decision that they don't want things complicated(as you've learned in the tech work you do). My reason for mentioning the EPUB method is so they know their only real restrictions are the ereader's capabilities, not just what flies with the BN converter.
Hope you have a good weekend.

Strayer wrote:

If you look at the formatting in the .doc that has problems, you can see that there is extra formatting. That louses up a conversion. The newer Word also has problems.

Too many people use the .doc for it to be bad.

If my experience has been that .doc in Word 2003 with no formatting or font extras works, then it is a valid statement. I state what I did and don't say that anyone has to to do that. I also have text and pictures that came out well and just perhaps someone could be helped by my experience.

I do computer tech and the more complicated someone makes things, the harder is is to straighten things out. I did a lot of reading and asking questions before I uploaded here and on Kindle.

Open Office is probably better to use. Word has always had stuff in it that messes things up when working with other programs.

New User
JaylanPHNX
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone for your advice. I took out all the page breakes and replaced them with section breaks and that loaded up and converted perfectly. I agree that it's probably best to familiarize myself with doing my own conversions, but I also find it baffling that B&N's converter doesn't want to take the most common formatting tools. Still, it beats Kindle, which needed three or four format conversions (none of which they did for me) to get from .doc to Kindle format.