New User
0 Kudos

Page Breaks?

How do you insert page breaks if epub doesn't recognize Word's page breaks?

There has to be an easy way to begin a new page or chapter, so things don't all run together or leave enormous spaces between.

What am I missing?

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,957
0 Kudos

Re: Page Breaks?

Section breaks in Word turn into Page breaks in EPUB.

Frequent Contributor
226press
0 Kudos

The epub format specifies a separate file for each chapter, and then a separate line in the spine

xml for each chapter file.

Each chapter file is then displayed starting on a new page.

Doing your own epub formatting is a pain, but it does give you much more control than having a program guess your intent from a word file.

Contributor
Dea2011
0 Kudos

Thanks for the response--but I still have no idea how to do any of the things you mentioned.  I am not in ePub, I am in a word document.  How do you make a new file for each chapter? 

As the Crowe Flies
www.penelopecrowe.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
TheReluctantCritic
0 Kudos

Keeping in mind that my book is fiction, with no pictures or diagrams, I learned the following:

When I formatted for the Kindle, I created the PRC in Mobipocket Creator. After that, I converted the PRC to EPUB using Calibre. Voila! Everything looked the same on the Nook as it did on the Kindle.

Perhaps if I'd gone straight from Word to EPUB, I might have had more work to do. I really don't know. All I can tell you is that using the simple method outlined above, my page breaks in Word worked fine on the Nook.

It's Smashwords that's giving me fits now...

Correspondent
Strayer
0 Kudos

I used Word .doc for both nook and kindle. I have text and pictures. I did a page break after each picture and text section. It looked fine on both.  I used the same .doc for both nook and kindle, in case I was unclear, which is usually the case.

I'm not doing SW.

Contributor
Dea2011
0 Kudos

How do you do a page break?

As the Crowe Flies
Distinguished Correspondent
Mrs-Smith
0 Kudos

Your best bet is to not to do page breaks in word at all. Upload your finished document to pubit to create the epub document then download it to your computer for editing. Then open Sigil (http://code.google.com/p/sigil/downloads/list) and using this program you insert your chapter breaks. Then they'll open on their own pages with no large gaps.

Hope this helps!:smileyvery-happy:

Melissa

Cloud Nine (A Paranormal Romance of the Guardians of Man)

Thunderhead

ps: if you need help, just ask :smileyhappy:

Contributor
Dea2011
0 Kudos

My document has turned into a disaster.  I inserted section breaks after each chapter, and somehow after chapter 2 there are 2 whole pages with NOTHING on them.  I cannot delete them or even move them.  I wish there was a guideline--but alas B & N makes it seem like it's a piece of cake...it is not!

As the Crowe Flies
Contributor
Dea2011
0 Kudos

Mrs. Smith!!  I need help!  I have NO idea what to do and keep screwing up further!

As the Crowe Flies
Inspired Contributor
TheReluctantCritic
0 Kudos

At this point, you probably need to resort to the "nuclear option" outlined in the Smashwords Style Guide. Here's a good link on that:

http://aniaahlbornblogs.wordpress.com/2011/06/23/publishing-your-e-book-a-quick-how-to/

Try to format for the Kindle first, then work on the Nook version. And please look at my earlier message in this thread.

Distinguished Correspondent
Mrs-Smith
0 Kudos

Dea2011 I've sent you a message ^ look above. Click the envelope.

New User
unbridled
0 Kudos

When I upload my prc file I used for Kindle, Nook turns some of my text into question marks:

For example: On the Kindle prc file, the title of the book is "A Warrior's Heart"

But when I upload my prc file to Barnes and Nobles on the Nook I get "A Warrior?s heart"

So...I tried uploading my word doc.  This fixed the strange question mark thing...but now my page breaks aren't working!  So frustrating!

Inspired Contributor
TheReluctantCritic
0 Kudos

Why would you upload a PRC to PubIt? Use Calibre, which is free, and create an EPUB. In my experience, the conversion is PERFECT.

New User
AtiaSolo
0 Kudos

I set up a book of poetry and allthough not 100% perfect I did find:

Section breaks in Word turn into Page breaks in EPUB.

Worked the best to get the result I wanted.

New User
RobertHM
0 Kudos

I followed your advice to properly paginate, but had a problem when opening the file in Sigil (for Mac). Only the first 16+ chapters (of 81) opened, though when I read the file on the Calibre e-reader the book appeared in its entirety. I also converted my PDF manuscript on Calibre, which converted it in its entirety, but when I opened that file on Sygil, I still only got the same 16+ chapters.

Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong?

Correspondent
Strayer
0 Kudos

You can try this:

Make a copy of the book. It should be in one document.

I used page breaks, not section breaks and they did work for me.

Put a page break between each chapter.

No fancy formatting.

Save as .doc. I have Word 2003.

I uploaded this to both B&N and Kindle. I have pictures and text.

When I tried using Sigil, it screwed up badly and I still don't know why. It was me.

B&N converts the document to epub and Kindle converts it to PRC. You sit there and watch.