New User
Sebastiene
0 Kudos

Page numbers skip no matter what I do.

I have tried various ways to create ebooks to upload to B&N (Word 2007 > RTF > Calibre, and tried Sigil, and variations thereof). The ebooks look fine when I side-load them onto my Nook Color, but once I upload the file onto B&N, the page numbers skip, no matter what the font size is.

The page numbers as I turn the pages in my latest attempt go: 1, 2, 3, 7, 9, 12, 14....

On my last attempt, I saved the Word 2007 file as HTML, opened it in Sigil and stripped out the junk code. Everything worked--except the page numbers skipped. My 300 page book said it have over 700 pages, which it didn't.

On this latest one, I've saved the Word 2007 file as RTF, opened it in WordPad, saved it under a different name to try and simplify the code, and then converted the new RTF using Calibre. I have the latest version of Calibre (0.8.65) and haven't adjusted any of the regular settings. ...And the pages skip just like my last attempt.

I've searched the internet, I've lost days trying to fight this, and I'm stumped. Did anyone else have this problem and find a solution?

Frequent Contributor
SF50
0 Kudos

Re: Page numbers skip no matter what I do.

Sebastiene,

Are you talking about page numbers you put into your word/rtf/epub file or are you referring to the page numbers that the epub/epub reader automatically assigns your pages?

If you mean that you have page numbers that you placed in your text just remove them. Ebook pages shouldn't be numbered, the EPUB format handles that on its own.

If you mean the numbers automatically assigned by the EPUB/ereader then that's not really in your control. A certain amount of text is what constitutes "a page" so that it's easily referenced.

Example. If you open Nook for PC and open an EPUB in it you can go click the right arrow at the bottom to scroll through the text. The page number at the top right will go up, sometimes by 1 sometimes by more. Depending on how large you make the Nook for PC window will dictate how much text is on the screen and how many "pages" are turned. This makes it universal so that when someone reading on a small ereader that displays only a little text per page sees "page 8" they can go to "page 8" on any device reading that same EPUB and see the same text across devices/readers.

SF

eB Format - eBook conversions and formatting services

Sebastiene wrote:

I have tried various ways to create ebooks to upload to B&N (Word 2007 > RTF > Calibre, and tried Sigil, and variations thereof). The ebooks look fine when I side-load them onto my Nook Color, but once I upload the file onto B&N, the page numbers skip, no matter what the font size is.

The page numbers as I turn the pages in my latest attempt go: 1, 2, 3, 7, 9, 12, 14....

On my last attempt, I saved the Word 2007 file as HTML, opened it in Sigil and stripped out the junk code. Everything worked--except the page numbers skipped. My 300 page book said it have over 700 pages, which it didn't.

On this latest one, I've saved the Word 2007 file as RTF, opened it in WordPad, saved it under a different name to try and simplify the code, and then converted the new RTF using Calibre. I have the latest version of Calibre (0.8.65) and haven't adjusted any of the regular settings. ...And the pages skip just like my last attempt.

I've searched the internet, I've lost days trying to fight this, and I'm stumped. Did anyone else have this problem and find a solution?

New User
Sebastiene
0 Kudos

I don't have page numbers in the file. I am talking about the page numbers created by ePub/B&N/Adobe/Whomever Decides These Things when I download an ebook onto my nook.

I appreciate what you're saying, but I have a LOT of books on my nook that have page numbers that go up in regular increments of 1:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc.

However, for some reason, my ebooks do not. They skip numbers.

Any other ideas? Thank you for your help!

Frequent Contributor
SF50
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Open Nook for PC, then open your book in it, then make the window as small as the program allows it to be made. Now click the right arrow and your book will go up by 1 (or maybe even a couple clicks right won't raise the page number count at all). It has everything to do with how much text is being displayed on the page. I keep my Nook for PC window large, none of the books I've viewed in it make the 'page number' go up by one at a time.

I give it a small chance that something about the conversion messed it up but I really doubt that.

If you like you can send me the book via my quote request form on my website (no need to fill in the extra info besides your email address, just use the attachment option on the bottom) and I'll open it here and tell you if it's acting odd or properly, but based on what you've said, the EPUB is acting how it is supposed to.

SF

eB Format - eBook conversion and formatting service

Frequent Contributor
555aaa
0 Kudos

I have epub files that do the opposite (on the Nook Color); that is, they go 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, 5 etc. and I also have seen the same issue with "skipping page numbers" with other books on the same reader.
Frequent Contributor
Ebook_Pioneers
0 Kudos

eBooks and eReaders do not have page numbers. Those little tic numbers are more like a percentage. When it says 40, then you're basically 40% of the way into the book. On a large 600 page book you may have to turn 12 or 13 pages before you go up another tic number. On a 100 page book you might go up a tic number every 2 pages. On a 25 page book you might skip a couple of numbers between page turns.

And remember that the tic numbers aren't counting pages, but file size. So a page at the end of a chapter might only have a couple of sentences on it, and the copyright and title pages will have very little info on them too, so when you're turning past those you'll have to turn more pages than you normally would in the book before you go up another tic number.

I'm not sure how images are handled, but I suppose they're also counted by files size, so if you have several images close together you might go up several tics very quickly since images take up so much more space than text does.

We do eBook formatting!
Distinguished Correspondent
Mrs-Smith
0 Kudos

Nooks actually count by page, Kindles by the percentage of the book read. But we don't control how those page numbers are shown. We can, if we like, place page numbers on our MS, but it doesn't matter in the end because the Nook algorithms assigns page numbers after upload.

Frequent Contributor
Ebook_Pioneers
0 Kudos

Hmm...I honestly didn't know that about Nooks. Actually, Amazon's Kindle Keyboard (Kindle-3) can display page numbers too, but only if the publisher inlcuded them with the book and the book has an ISBN. But for people using KDP to submit books, that option isn't available, and I don't think there are many books at Amazon by big publishers which show them yet either.

Of the dozens of eReaders on the market now, Nook is the only one besides the K-3 that displays page numbers. Good incientive for some people to buy a Nook I guess.

We do eBook formatting!
Frequent Contributor
555aaa
0 Kudos

The Kobo displays page numbers.
Frequent Contributor
555aaa
0 Kudos

Also can you clarify what you mean by "if the publisher included them with the book and the book has an ISBN."