Contributor
mediaXpert
0 Kudos

Pen Names

How would one go about using a pseudonym through PubIt!? Has anyone done this?

Frequent Contributor
ElmoreHammes
0 Kudos

Re: Pen Names

When you publish the book through PubIt!, you will designate the author (and Publisher name, which can be the same as author if you wish). The author you submit would be the name that shows on the listing for that e-book.

You have to register with the site using your real name for tax and payment purposes, but that name does not have to be what you list on the e-books that are publicly visible.

Author and Self-Publishing Consultant
The Twenty Dollar Bill, The Cloud,
Not Fit For Human Consumption: A Comedic Farce
The Holmes and Watson Mysterious Events and Objects Consortium: The Case of the Witch's Talisman
R-H
Contributor
R-H
0 Kudos

I tried to do this... put my pen name on the actual book, but my real name is listed as the author next to the 'book for sale'?  Is there any way to get around this?

Frequent Contributor
ElmoreHammes
0 Kudos

Where are you seeing your real name - on the product page on Barnes & Noble, or inside your own (private) PubIt account?

This is the book I listed under a pen name (although I disclose my real name in the biography section, as well as the reason I used a pen name):

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/books/e/2940011822872/?itm=5&USRI=michele+leblanc

As you can see, only the pen name (Michele LeBlanc) and the publisher name (Kanapolis Fog Publishing Emporium) I entered is shown there.

If you entered your real name as the Publisher on the e-book details, then that name would be listed under the publisher name on the book details section.

You can edit the publisher name in PubIT to change that, either to the pen name or a publishing company name if you have one.

The Holmes and Watson Mysterious Events and Objects Consortium: The Case of the Witch's Talisman
R-H
Contributor
R-H
0 Kudos

I'm seeing my real name next to the book (which has my pen name on the cover) on the product page under eBooks on Barnes and Noble.  Perhaps I need to change the "author" name on my account to my pen name?  The book is "A Time for Kindness" and it just went up on the site for sale... 

Frequent Contributor
ElmoreHammes
0 Kudos

Yes, the author name you enter in the book details will be listed on the product page, so you should change that to match the pen name you used on the cover image.

R-H
Contributor
R-H
0 Kudos

I went to my pubit edit page and tried to change the author name to my pen name, but it wouldn't let me save at the bottom of the page.  Why is that?  Maybe I have to take the book off sale and then make the change???

R-H
Contributor
R-H
0 Kudos

Well, taking the book 'off sale' does not allow me to edit the author name to a pen name either. The 'save' is still not active in the edit area.  Guess I'm stuck with having to redo the whole thing, and upload again as another book?