Frequent Contributor
CodyFord
0 Kudos

Previewing / formatting for Nook, Nook Color and Nook for PC

All three of the above previews will be quirky.

I've been testing font sizes, margins and most importantly for me, images. (Using MS Word, MS Works with file types of .doc and .rtf) The books I'm finalizing include heavy illustrations and images.

Note: If you are using strictly text then you are in the best of luck. Most of my comments below will not apply to you. Other than forcing page breaks in your document, you will have the least trouble.

Once you start to embed images, or have heavy illustrations among your text, then you will pull a few hairs out getting everything justified. (I'm excluding the cover image - it is a separate file.)

If color is paramount, then the Nook Color preview is important to you. However, please remember that the viewing screen for the B&W Nook has been different in my testing. The Nook Color appears to offer a longer viewing area. Your properly formatted Nook Color book will get cut short in the B&W Nook. The B&W Nook will take your embedded images and convert them to B&W.

The Nook for the PC has a two page, open book layout. You'll find that once it looks good in Nook Color, the PC version may still have issues.

Justifications for embedded images are very unpredictable and sometimes just don't work. If you would like a centered illustration nicely surrounded by typed words I wish you the best of luck. Sometimes I got my wish, sometimes I didn't.

If you find that your Book is comprised of images and illustrations more than text, then I would combine the two and place a full page image on your Word document page. (With a page break between.) I think this is the route I'll end up going for a couple of my books.

Synopsis. (For those who have heavily imaged books, and are still reading this.)  :-)

1) Create a full page image, (600 px X 750, or 1200 px X 1500 px) px = Pixels

(Remember, you should be able to use every pixel available on the top and sides.) Let the image bleed off.

2) Place your image(s) and text and save as a .jpg with the maximum quality.

3) Center the image on a single page of your Word document.

4) Force a new page by inserting a page break.

5) If you need a TOC before, you should be okay inserting this on its own page with a page break after.

6) If you have issues, it will most likely be that your images are getting cut off at the bottom. In some instances, you may only get to utilize 3/4 of your image length.

Lastly, if you find anything related to the above and would like to add it, please reply. Eventually we will get the correct combination and will know exactly what to do.

;-)

Cody

New User
paca57
0 Kudos

Re: Previewing / formatting for Nook, Nook Color and Nook for PC

Cody... I am new on Pubit. My novel went live (because I couldn't figure out how to preview it on my Nook to PC) and it has not honored most of the page breaks in the Word 03 document.  Can you tell me how to "force" the page breaks?

Thank you!

Frequent Contributor
CodyFord
0 Kudos

Hi Paca!

I realize that I may have not been explicit when describing the page breaks needed.

In Word place your cursor where you want the forced page break to occur. Go to - Insert, Page break on the menu and it will insert a hard page break. You may need to do some reformatting afterwords to get the text to start in the correct spot for the new page.

Remember: A hard (Or forced) page break is different than just hitting enter to go to the next new page. :-)

If this doesn't help let me know and we"ll figure it out.

Cody

Contributor
SmallTomatoes
0 Kudos

Please forgive me for resurrecting a dead thread, but I am having an issue where the Nook does not correctly reflect pagination. I have three page 1s, one page 2, one page 3, etc, and suddenly three page 26s, back to normal and so on. Is this something I simply have to accept?

Frequent Contributor
CodyFord
0 Kudos

Duplicate pages? Or are you numbering your pages manually?

Contributor
SmallTomatoes
0 Kudos

Duplicate pages. It's very odd. I'm not numbering my pages in the document, but when I "flip" pages on the nook, I can be on page three for quite a while.

Frequent Contributor
CodyFord
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Try Renaming your eBook file and reloading it. (Updating the file that is currently on sale.)

The key is to not use the samre filename. It may be the exact same eBook, but you want the processing engine to see a different filename.

Fitzgiggles Saves The Day!

Contributor
SmallTomatoes
0 Kudos

Cody, I have not used the same file name (mostly to maintain my own sanity), while it is better, it still paginates a few pages the same in row. (The content does change on the flip, just not the page number)  It appears, after liberal application of google-fu that this is just something that happens with E-readers....

Frequent Contributor
CodyFord
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ah, I understand now.

I've seen this in the Nook for PC.

As long as the page actually changes correctly, I accepted it, but I don't know what causes it.

Sorry I couldn't help.

Best of luck!

Fitzgiggles Saves The Day!

Contributor
SmallTomatoes
0 Kudos

Thanks anyway. We'll eventually figure it out, and when one of us does, I imagine we'll post for everyone. The system is still a little buggy.