Contributor
BreakawayGlenn
0 Kudos

Problems with paragraph spacing and margins

My PubIt-published books are showing up on my Nook Tablet with what appears to be an extra line between paragraphs.  I have checked my settings in Scrivener (my writing and publishing application) and have found no settings that would cause this.  Then, when I view the file on the Nook for Mac application, I do not see this problem. 

The second issue is that compared to some other books, the left and right margins on my books appear to be larger when read on the Nook Tablet.  I would like those margins to be smaller. 

Can anyone suggest a fix or give me an idea on what is causing these problems?  Thank you.

Frequent Contributor
sayndee
0 Kudos

Re: Problems with paragraph spacing and margins

I am not familiar with your program. However, there is surely someplace (Like in Word) where you can check a box that says something like "Check if you do not want an extra space between paragraphs".

If the box is not checked, it will automatically put an extra space between paragraphs.

Also, I set my margins to moderate or medium. I hope this helps.

Good luck!

Elaine
Correspondent
Strayer
0 Kudos

Thank you Elaine. I learned something new. I stuck with Word 2003 and got through okay. The other programs are confusing.
Contributor
BreakawayGlenn
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply.  I've checked Scrivener and played with the settings and the book is still showing up on my Nook Tablet with the extra space between paragraphs.  When I set the device to Publisher Defaults, then the exra line space between paragraphs goes away.  Which is somewhat confusing to me. 

Thanks for the margins tip.  I changed the margins on the device.  What's interesting is that a book from another publisher has the wider margins as a default. 

New User
QuakerJane
0 Kudos

I ran into this problem too. So far, the only way I could solve the problem was to edit the CSS code by hand. For paragraphs, Scrivner is setting the margin attribute. However, without also setting the margin-top and margin-bottom attributes the Nook reader, as would any web browser, maintains the "master" settings of those attributes for paragraphs. In CSS, you can set styles for all paragraphs, and then assign styles for specific paragraph classes, which override the other. But the margin attribute doesn't override the margin-top or margin-bottom attributes, even though they really should. It's just how CSS works. I'll contact the Scrivener developers to inform them of this. They should be able to correct their code accordingly. Part of the problem is, they're in the UK... thus no Nooks.

Correspondent
Strayer
0 Kudos

It is easier to use Word or Open Office Writer. The less complicated, the better it works.
Distinguished Correspondent
Mrs-Smith
0 Kudos

Contributor
Annie-B
0 Kudos

I tried Publisher Defaults to remove extra line spacing, but it had the added effect of altering my serif font to sans serif, except where I'd used italics. Serif italics really look stupid with otherwise sans serif text, plus I know that for book-length fiction, serif is much easier on the eyes. Is there any way to alleviate this problem?

Contributor
BreakawayGlenn
0 Kudos

Jane, thanks very much for your insights and for contacting Scrivener.  Hopefully, Barnes & Noble and the Nook is on track for the UK soon. 

Contributor
BreakawayGlenn
0 Kudos

Open Office Writer is a good, solid and uncomplicated application but Word is. . . .well, Word.  Scrivener on the other hand has the advantage of compiling a book and outputting it to epub, mobi, even Word and other applications with the click of a button.  This one glitch with the Nook I experienced is the first publishing issue I've run into with Scrivener, all-in-all, a superior and inexpensive writing and publishing application. A friend of mine loaded one of my books onto her older Nook and found no line spacing problem so it may be isolated to the Tablet which is the device that I have and where I discovered the problem.