Administrator
NOOKPress_Admin
0 Kudos

PubIt! System Announcement: October Payments

[ Edited ]

Due to the impact of hurricane Sandy, the PubIt! October payments are delayed.

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience.

Updates will be posted here on the PubIt! Community Board as soon as they become available.

Sincerely,

The PubIt! Team

Frequent Contributor
k0pper
0 Kudos

Re: PubIt! System Announcement: October Payments

[ Edited ]

Thank you for acknowledging this, but is there an ETA on the payments? Even a ballpark? Are we looking at a couple days, a week, a month?

New User
AmishAuthorSicily
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Will they be paid by next week?  I really thought that payments from everywhere would be affected, but Amazon paid a day early.  However, a third vendor hasn't paid on time either.  I think Amazon is on the West coast, so they weren't affected.

Contributor
handberry
0 Kudos

I don't understand, you knew Sandy was coming so why didn't they send them out before it hit this way there would be no delay.  Kind of hurting everyone here.

Author Troy Veenstra
www.veenstrapublishing.biz
Frequent Contributor
JMChristopher
0 Kudos

All I have to say is... ridiculous.

Contributor
LoveIR
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I totally get this is caused by a Natural Disaster. But what I don't understand is how your company isn't able to function at month end to process automatic payment distributions. If you can keep your websites up and running, if you are able to continue to sell books online, if you can come on here and give this lame update, surely your staff can remotely process the transactions owed to your authors???? I'm also a bit disturbed that your comment is vague and gives no insight into how long this will take to be resolved. A day, a week, a month? Why aren't we learning anything on your plans to resolve this issue. For some of us this is our livelyhood.

New User
k1p2
0 Kudos

Good one, B&N!  But while I applaud you for your fast thinking, I really must take points off for creativity. Sandy??  Seriously??

Oh well.  At least you didn't start your message with, "Due to the tragedy of 9-1-1." 

I'm glad you're still able to bombard my inbox with news of others' releases, while my book sits in the dark somewhere.  Not to worry, I'm cookin' over at Amazon.

Contributor
WriteByNight
0 Kudos

Is this also the source of the "Technical Difficulties" message I keep getting when I try to put a book sale.
Frequent Contributor
Windy30
0 Kudos

Kindly advise when payments will be made.

Frequent Contributor
goldenstatewriter
0 Kudos

A date would be appreciated, and is not too much to ask for.

Frequent Contributor
sayndee
0 Kudos

Actually, I totally expected this. Why? Because B&N is based in New York. I don't blame them, and I certainly understand. Come on, the storm was bad. It did a lot of damage. Sure the forum is up, but that

doesn't mean the banks are open out there.

Elaine
New User
poetress411
0 Kudos

I'm sorry, but if they can continue to sell my books then they can pay me... so I can pay my mortgage on time! And if they can make a statement about delay they can give us a reasonable ETA! The storm was bad, but this is tech and tech is not stapled to NYC...ijs

Contributor
FoodieFictionista
0 Kudos

Thank you for posting the update. 

As I am on the East Coast and have been affected by Sandy - I understand this. My credit union was closed for 2 days and our debit cards wouldn't work for some reason until this morning. It is what it is, and I'm thankful you posted that there is a problem so I know it's not just me and we can expect a payment soon. To all those complaining - welcome to the world of Independence - BN aint perfect - but neither is Amazon - I've heard horror stories - including one friend who had an author account back when Amazon first started self publishing. She tried it while laid off - then went back to work as a nurse full time only to be let go 2 years later. She decided to write again and created a new account as she had got married. She was doing really well (about 500 - 800 per month) - and a YEAR later, Amazon realizes she had 2 accounts - though she hadn't used the one under her single name - it was still the same IP and bank account. They sent her a notice saying she had violated their rules and wouldn't pay her for any of her sales. She said trying to get ahold of someone was ridiculous - nothing but form letter replies. Her husband is a Judge and said...while she could try to sue them (she lost about 1,200) - it IS there in the rules if you read them carefully. He advised as much as it doesn't seem fair - those are the breaks. I also read of an incident lately where Amazon completly wiped her Kindle when they discovered she was using a friends account to buy books as she was located in a different country and the books weren't published in her country. 

I've never heard of BN doing anything remotley like it - and like I said, I've seen the damage Sandy has done, 1/2 our town in still powerless (including my family) - but I'm thankful trees didn't crash onto our house like they did our neighbors. 

I've no doubt BN is doing what they can - if you don't like it, don't publish. It's the risk you take. 

Contributor
AndrasNagy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

It amazes me that nobody ever replies to these (critical) posts (from B&N), I seriously doubt that anybody ever reads them. I am sure that part of their data center is somewhere in New Jersey (Jersey City) and under water. However, not having some backup plans or redundancies for this type of a thing is lame. 

Author of the Public Domain Publishing Bible
http://thepublicdomainbible.com/
Contributor
LoveIR
0 Kudos

Payment notice has been sent!

Sorry I work in technology and every company should have a disaster recovery plan in case of 'acts' of God. This was totally unacceptable as far as 'incident management' goes. The deposit notice says our money was sent today. So check your accounts!

Frequent Contributor
k0pper
0 Kudos

I just received payment notification as well. Hopefully I'll have funds in the next 48 hours or so. As long as the deposit goes through no problem then I would say B&N did a great job handling things. I can live with a 2-3 day delay after one of the worst storms in recent years.
Frequent Contributor
JMChristopher
0 Kudos

I have received no such message about payment. And I shall continue to complain until the money is in my hands. I could care less about acts of god or if the entire city was destroyed by Godzilla. If I owed them money you sure as hell know they'd have debited it right out of my account whether my computer worked or not.

However, I do have to agree with Foodie that the customer service here at B&N is about 100 times better than over at Amazon. Getting any information from them is impossible and I doubt they would have been so kind as to even say payments would be delayed.
Administrator
NOOKPress_Admin
0 Kudos

As of Thursday, November 1, the October PubIt! payment notices sent via email and the royalty payments sent via Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) have begun.

Note that the email notices and royalty payments may take a little longer than usual to process.

Again, we appreciate your patience and thank you for using PubIt!

The PubIt! Team

Contributor
MCoorlim
0 Kudos

Thank you for the update and for getting our payments out promptly. We (the adults among us) understand how difficult things are for you, and appreciate how quickly you've been able to get our checks out to us.

Keep up the good work.
Reader 2
KBWriter
0 Kudos

Thank you for the update! But do you know when the sales figures will be reported accurately on the author's pub it page for daily sales? Since Oct.31st current sales are no longer appearing for many authors. Authors with 30 - 175+ avg. daily sales are now at maybe 1 - 10 sales a day. Readers are still buying the books, but the sales are not being reported to the author and ranking are being driven lower or higher. I've watched someone purchase my new release and have had people on Facebook tell me they are buying it, yet none of those sales have come over. Not comforting. If maybe just an update or acknowledgement of this problem by B&N many authors would at least feel better knowing that you know there's an issue and are working on it. Because as of now  the reporting issue is a scary one. As of now, no one has responded to this issue via email or on the other boards.

Thanks so much for your help in resolvng this issue.