Administrator
NOOKPress_Admin

PubIt! System Announcement: Processing times

We are seeing slower than normal processing times for both new submissions and manuscript updates. We are looking into the cause with our technology teams and apologize for the delay and for any inconvenience this has caused.

Thank you again for your patience as we work to resolve this issue.

The PubIt! Team

Distinguished Correspondent
Mrs-Smith

Re: PubIt! System Announcement: Processing times

OMG! Thank you for coming in here to tell us! Sets so many minds at ease to know someone alive is actually out there :smileyhappy:

Reader
ScribeDM
0 Kudos

Nice to know someone is paying attention.

Correspondent
Strayer
0 Kudos

Melissa, it's coming from inside the site.(I hope you know that movie) I'm glad admin posted. I was lucky and my books processed quickly. It will get fixed.
Contributor
blahblahblahBS
0 Kudos

Wow, someone sobered up and is firing up their Apple IIe in an attempt to solve the problem. And it only took several weeks! PubIt is the worst company ever. I'd delete my account, but apparently it takes a lawyer to do even that.

Contributor
candiannation
0 Kudos

What I think is AWESOME about these slow publishing times is that Barnes and Noble customer service is taking it upon themselves to blame the AUTHORS for why the books are not up. I've had numerous fans contact me, asking why I didn't upload to Barnes. When I tell them I did, they say that customer service told them that I never did at all. Really? Shall I send a screenshot of the "processing" message I have next to my novel title (that has been there for two weeks now)? It's one thing to have a technical difficulty, but it is inexcusable to blatantly LIE about WHO has caused the problem in the first place and WHO needs to fix it. I'm beyond unimpressed at the moment. It's awesome to know that I'm working with a company who believes in not only throwing authors under the bus at their convenience, but also lying outright to cover their asses. Stellar, guys. Truly stellar.

New User
FMUMJ
0 Kudos

My book has been processing for the last week. Would you mind taking a look at it?
New User
Shantae_Rivers
0 Kudos

Awesome, but it would have been nice to receive an email back from support when we emailed them about the issue. 

SMH.

New User
kjharrison
0 Kudos

Can you let us know when this will be fixed. I've had a title processing for over a week now. This Sunday will make two weeks.

Contributor
candiannation
0 Kudos

I'm on week three of "processing". I have friends on week six. The irony is that one of them is ranked in the top 100 on Amazon. Barnes could be making a pretty penny off of her at the moment...

I've tried uploading it a second time. That hasn't worked either. I've basically given up and told fans to go to kobo to get it. I'm thankful that over 90% of my sales come from Amazon or I would be losing my MIND right now.

Contributor
Jay-NOVA
0 Kudos

UPDATE: Our book took 17 days in "processing" and went live on October 5.

After the first week of being stuck in processing we took the advice of some members here and uploaded a second version of the same book, with the hope that maybe the first one had a glitch and the second would go through in the promised 3 day turnaround time. As it has turned out, that second one is still in processing after 19 days, so a minimum time of 17 days definitely has applied to us for each book.

I think anyone planning to upload a new book via Pubit should build 2-3 weeks into their lead time.

As a side note, after the first one went live on October 5, we noticed a couple things we wanted to change in the original file and uploaded a new epub file on October 6. That file still has not replaced the original epub.

So from our experience: Publishing time via Pubit is at MINIMUM 17 days, and also there is a minimum 9 days (and counting) if you try to use the feature that supposedly allows you to update your epub file.

Contributor
WriteByNight
0 Kudos

Uploaded book Sept 24th, as of today Oct 17th -- 4 weeks later, still processing. Uploaded book a 2nd time, Oct 13th, as some on the boards suggested, and that too is still processing. At some point I may try an upload from a different computer with a different browser. But I'm not sure it will help. The book is straight text, no bells and whistles and, from what other people have said, the problem obviously has nothing to do with the files submitted. If it did, people wouldn't be seeing their original upload go live. Whatever the delay is, it's something at PubIt! Authors can't do much about it other than direct their readers with Nooks to other ebook retailers and let their readers know via their various social media outlets. It's a pain for the readers, but it's all you can do.
Contributor
WriteByNight
0 Kudos

Update: As of Sunday, Oct 21st, both uploads (Sept 24 & Oct 13) of the same book [Lily Does Sweden, by Indra Anderson -- which as been on sale as a trade paperback book on B&N since Oct 1st] are still in Processing.
Inspired Contributor
TheReluctantCritic
0 Kudos

Talk about being asleep at the wheel. Jesus....

Contributor
candiannation
0 Kudos

mine have been processing for that same amount of time. my frustration is that some are going through as usual, but when they don't, it's like they're lost in space, never to be looked for. It's just bizarre and there's no recourse. It's the very definition of frustrating.

Contributor
WriteByNight
0 Kudos

2ND UPDATE: Yep, still waiting for upload 1 (Sept 24) and upload 2 (Oct 13) to go live. In an attempt to see if it's the book or the system . . . I spent the day retool the entire CSS and going over the whole epub for Lily Does Sweden again. The 3rd upload version It's basically a totally new file, unlike the other 2 uploads which were identical. The hope is that this new version might feed into the PubIt's system more easily. If it works out, I'll post.
Reader
shellyv
0 Kudos

Wow!! ! Wow!!!  Good to know that i'm not alone in my processing times.  1st time using pub-it, and at this point perhaps the last time.  Like everyone, i'm livid at the lack of response and unprofessionalism that B&N has shown everyone.   I've also emailed them and like everyone else, no response except on a public forum. 

Yesterday, a fellow author also like myself put her book up, no issues, today. My book has been processing since Oct. 24th. 

Unreal, Glad i'm using amazon.com and smashwords. Amazon (aka your competitors if you care are much more professional and don't blame authors if there's an issue that's clearly on your end).

Thanks for most likely losing a cust. 

Frequent Contributor
JMChristopher
0 Kudos

What about the fact that we can't seem to upload... AGAIN? THis same thing happened last weekend when I tried to upload a book. Again, I'm getting an error message about technical difficulties when trying to put my book up for sale.
Contributor
WriteByNight
0 Kudos

3RD UPDATE: As of Oct 27, one of the 3 versions of the book went on a sale.

We immediately pulled it off sale for editorial reasons -- we're doing corrections -- but as far as anyone can figure out the version that went live was  the 2nd upload of the book (uploaded on Oct 13) which was exactly the same as the 1st version we uploaded (Sept 24), which is still Processing.

So, apparently doing a second upload of the book can speed things up -- 14 days in processing vs 4+weeks and counting.

We're going to continue waiting to see what happens with the other uploads

Contributor
WriteByNight
0 Kudos

4TH UPDATE  After an inspection of which version actually went on sale on Oct 27th, I noticed it was the 3rd version, which was uploaded Friday Oct 26. 

In other words, it was the version that I spent a couple days redoing the CSS and every chapter of the epub. It was completely overhauled. That version went on sale in about 24-48 hrs.

I can only conclude from this that the problem of being hung in Processing was (in my case) not due to any problem with PubIt. 

I have to assume the file that I first (and second) uploaded was flawed and that those flaws made it impossible for PubIt's system to Process it and put it on sale.

Based on this experience, my advice to anyone who currently has a book stuck in Processing is

1) Run your current epub through the epub checker to see if it can find any flaws. If it finds some flaws, correct them all and then try uploading the fully validated version.

2) If the checker can't find any flaws, try uploading the file a 2nd time. If it doesn't go live in a few days, move on to number 3.

3) If you did not have your book professionally created, and still can't get your book live in 24-72 hrs, go back to your epub and check through everything, every file and all the code. There is probably some fatal flaw, or at least a flaw that keeps the book hung up in processing. If you don't know how to do this, get a friend that does.

4) If your book is still not going on sale, and your book is fairly simple and you know how to do hand coding, find an epub that is similar to your own (if you have an all text novel, download an all text novel) that is already on sale through Nook and just reformat your book to match. 

Honestly, that's what I did. I went back to an epub I knew had been professionally formatted (A Seat At the Feast by Indra Anderson was created by ebookarchitects). I unzipped it and reused the CSS stylesheet and all the formatting. I tweaked it all a little to fit the new book. But keep in mind, I know how to do this kind of stuff.

A few days to a week reformating will spare you weeks of waiting for something that might never happen. Make it easy for PubIt! and yourself, make 100% you are uploading perfectly coded work. Good luck!