Reader 2
doobster
0 Kudos

Pubit free ebook publishing

[ Edited ]

I was reading the pubit faq and looks like $0.99 is the lowest one can go as far as pricing is concerned. Is there a way to publish an ebook for free on pubit?

I know B&N makes their money through the royalty model, but what if I don't want to sell an ebook but rather offer it for free on pubit, is there a way to do this?

Couldn't find much online, same for kindle self-publish.

Frequent Contributor
TSCerys
0 Kudos

Re: Pubit free ebook publishing

You can make your book for free on B&N if you distribute it through Smashwords.com (and have it for free there, the price will carry over).

To make something for free on Amazon, you have to either put the book into the KDP Select program(in which case you can't have it available ANYWHERE ELSE for 90 days), or have the book price-matched down to free(if you have it for free somewhere else, and enough people notify Amazon about this on the produce details page, they will eventually price-match it down to free).

KDP Select locks your book out from other places, and you only get a limited amount of FREE days for the entire 90 day period.  Amazon Prime Kindle owners can borrow your book for free, though(and you'll still get money from it).

The price-matching way is technically against the KDP ToS, but it's still widely done.  They -can-(technically) remove your book from KDP and/or delete your account for a violation of the ToS, though(you agree to keep the prices of your book the same at every retailer, which is standard ToS fare), but I've never actually heard of this happening since you also agree that they can change the price of your book if necessary to remain competitive.

Correspondent
eB00k
0 Kudos

Hi doobster,

Why do you want to give your book away? Is it in the public domain? If it is, then neither B&N PubIt! nor Amazon KDP allow you to publish it through their self-publish services. Both services want you to have exclusive copyrights to the work.

Kind regards, David

Reader 2
doobster
0 Kudos

Thanks TSCerys! will look into smashwords.

Reader 2
doobster
0 Kudos

David,

Visa restrictions is the primary reason for wanting to give it away. I basically want to hold the copyrights, but 'price' it for free. 

I guess I could publish it in my homecountry, but B&N does not offer an eBook store there.