Frequent Contributor
JimLow
0 Kudos

Regarding the Site Offering Our eBooks Free

[ Edited ]

Hey all,

At my last post where Sayndee posted a thread about our eBooks being offered as free downloads at a particular site, I went there (http://pdf.pdfebookes.com/) and mine are there. I used my name in their searchbar. They've apparently had mine there for a long time because my old covers are on them.

I mention in the other thread that we might need to register a complaint with the IC3 but we could also inform Amazon because this notation is on that site, at mid-bottom of their homepage.

Frequent Contributor
sayndee
0 Kudos

Re: Regarding the Site Offering Our eBooks Free

[ Edited ]

I've already alerted Amazon. One of the first things I did was tell them.

I do believe they are looking into it. However, it won't hurt to make formal complaints. I gave them the website url. And, yes, I did get a response, an immediate one. They do appear concerned about it.

Elaine
Frequent Contributor
JimLow
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Whoops, okay I see now that you contacted Amazon. Thanks much for doing that!

I will contact them about the site too, to add more umphhh to it. I'll do it right now!

Frequent Contributor
sayndee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hey...Don't thank me. This if for all of us concerned.

Elaine
Frequent Contributor
JimLow
0 Kudos

I sent my complaint to Amazon KDP Support just now. I placed an urgent heading on it. I have no doubt but that they will pursue it.

This is a different site from one I saw doing this a couple of years ago. Or it may be the same site but they stepped up the fraud to an even higher level. The rats -- if you give them an inch, they will take a mile! It will be nipped I'm betting but if it's overseas con artists, they will dismantle, scatter and not be prosecuted for it.

I also feel that most people coming across the site and their very fishy methods, didn't follow through with their free download "program". They look like the type who might also perpetrate ID theft and who likely glean illegal fees from peoples credit cards through fake redirect pages..

Frequent Contributor
JimLow
0 Kudos

I received this reply froom Amazon, after reporting the offending website to them.

"Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We are not
affiliated with this website and have forwarded the message along to the
appropriate teams for review.

I hope this helps. Thanks for your interest
in Amazon KDP."

Frequent Contributor
sayndee
0 Kudos

Thanks for keeping us updated, Jim. As I said, I also reported it yesterday, to an Amazon person. And I was informed that everyone would be notified. So, the more the merrier. We can't afford for our hard work to be given away.

Elaine
Frequent Contributor
JimLow
0 Kudos

Man do I agree with that! It is infuriating to put so much work into our projects for the years that we have, for these vultures to come in and think they can help themselves and market our eBooks!

It reminds me of an incident that happened several years ago, when a "How To" article website I wrote for, decided they would just up and market all of the writer's articles, as eBooks on Amazon. I happened across my own articles, converted into these and I couldn't believe it! They apparently interpreted their own contract with writers as allowing them to do this. Not long before they pulled this stunt, they cancelled Adsense Revenue Sharing with writers and I was one of many who never received notice that they were ending revenue shares. I wrote them, saying I would turn them in to the IC3 if they didn't remove all of my articles from their site and take all of the eBook versions of them off of Amazon. My threat worked and they removed my articles from their site and released me from my contract with them. Over time, they took the eBooks off Amazon as well.

I think these type incidents show that we need to be diligent in checking for these type things. Doing a somewhat detailed search of our titles on Google is one of the best ways to do that.

Thanks again Sayndee for spotting that offending site :smileyhappy: !

Frequent Contributor
sayndee
0 Kudos

I'm afraid I can't take credit for discovering them. It was mentioned by another author on another forum, and I just investigated it. Then I reported it. I have written to the folks yesterday and today, asking that they remove my books. I will write to them every day until they do. If they don't, then I will have to take legal action. My books aren't free!

Elaine
Frequent Contributor
JimLow
0 Kudos

I think it will scare them off, when Amazon contacts them because they have a copyright division that pursues infringers no matter what country they're in. I think they'll put a stop to it promptly!

Now, hopefully Nook Press will start-up sales reporting/tracking (another thing of concern this week). They have stopped it dead now for the fourth day, today. Maybe it's caught up when they restart it but hard to understand the need in their system for doing this.

New User
PiracyTrace
0 Kudos

My company is currently beta testing a new website to help fight book piracy; it's called PiracyTrace.com; we started working on this a year ago when one of our own books was stolen. We are still setting up billing, but you can sign-up for free test accounts to try it out. We'd love feedback from anyone who wants to check it out.

Frequent Contributor
sayndee
0 Kudos

I checked today and happily saw that the site has pulled my books. That makes me feel a lot better.:smileyhappy:

Elaine
Frequent Contributor
JimLow
0 Kudos

Mine are removed from the site as well Elaine. Amazon must be responsible for the removal because I never contacted the site directly myself. That's action for you :smileyvery-happy: !

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:39 members 388 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: