New User
zaderade

Removing margins on picture book

I'm trying to submit an html file for conversion to the Nook. I originally used larger images, but those would extend below the page margin in the preview. So the images now all have a width of 600 pixels and a height of 800 (cover) or 900 (rest of pages). (I understand the screen is 600 x 730 pixels.) For some reason, the images look like they have a 100 pixel margin all the way around. I want them to fit the viewable area in the Nook preview window. Does anyone know what's going on and how I fix this?

Correspondent
Strayer

Re: Removing margins on picture book

[ Edited ]

Here's what I did:

Cover,  850 by 850 pixels. Had to do new cover as the size was too small.

I used Word 2003.  Inserted pictures into text.Used page breaks before and after pictures, not section breaks. In Word 2003 it worked just fine.

To use the pictures in Word, I saved as PNG in MS Paint. That is what Word accepts.

The pictures fit the page. I had done the pictures in MS Paint with 600 by 800 inches for printing. Those same pictures did fine in Word. Saved the book as .doc.

The nook preview was fine.

I didn't use html or anything else. The simple way worked fine. I used the same Word ,doc for kindle and had no problems.

All the directions to upload to nook and kindle can be confusing. I read a lot before doing it.

Post if you need anything.

New User
Tannet
0 Kudos

I have been trying to upload my book and I am having trouble with it. My book is all photos, and once I upload it the preview shows the right side of every picture is cut off. I have done a Kindle version of my book and didn't have any issues. What am I doing wrong? I am using Microsoft Word.  

Correspondent
Strayer
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

This is something to make one hit one's head on the desk.

I'd see what the size of the pictures are in the Word document. I'm not sure what the size has to be. I used 800 by 600 inches and inserted the images into Word. Saved as PNG.

The cover has to be larger. I did 850 by 850 pixels and it came out fine.

If you see anything odd, post and all of us will try to figure this out and you can get on your way to being published.

Pubit only uses portrait. Not landscape.

New User
Tannet
0 Kudos

I will definitely try that. Thank you so much for your advice and the quick response! I will let you know what I come up with. :smileyhappy:

Correspondent
Strayer
0 Kudos

Let me add this. I had the pages set up for printing. I had 1" margins. The ebook didn't have chapter titles or headers. If it had, I would have removed them.

I do hope your book uploads.

If there's a problem, we will figure it out.

I check the board every day and I will be keeping my fingers crossed.

New User
Tannet
0 Kudos

Well, I did what you said and everything looks good. The images fit the screen, I have separated every image with a Page Break, and there are no blank pages in between, BUT I have ran into a new problem. I am getting doubles on almost every image. For one page/image I have two. On the B&W Nook it will flip through each one individually and on the Color Nook they are on top of each other but slightly off set so you can see the double image. Would you know what I have done wrong? I have tried many different ways and it all comes out the same.  (There is now a forehead imprint on my desk.)

Correspondent
Strayer
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Her's what I'd do. I'd make a copy of the book document. Look at the formatting characters. There's a way to do that in WOrd and I can never remember it. If there is a snafu with the page breaks, it should show up.

I wonder why it does this on the color nook.

When I previewed mine on the color nook, one of the picutres looked like green and white wallpaper. Turns out that  it didn't do that in reality.

You need to do a page break before and after each image.

If the book isn't too long, I would re do it and check the page breaks. It is easy to lose track. Head/desk.

Also, download nook for pc and have alook there. If the book looks good, it could be the preview.

The last resort is to publish it and find the folder on your desktop. You can view the book on nook for pc after the Pubit published. You can always change the book. It will have to be uploaded anew, but that's doable.

Try one of these things and if we haven't got it yet, I will go online and search for possible answers.

I am dearly hoping that it is just the page breaks and it is showing up on the nook color.

I thought this stuff could only happen to me. Fingers again crossed.

At least some problems are solved.

I wonder if my wallpaper bit was ghosting and if that's what you've got going on.

It is never easy.

New User
Tannet
0 Kudos

Well, I believe I have it working! Both the Nook Color and B&W look great. It doesn't read correctly on the PC app and I think it's because of the pictures so I will have to put a little disclaimer. Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it! :smileyhappy:

Correspondent
Strayer
0 Kudos

I can't tell you how happy this makes me.

I wouldn't worry about the PC app. My friend read my book on nook pc and it looked okay.

I bet yours will be okay.

I am so glad you didn't give up.

Pat on back for you.