Contributor
AlisaWriter
0 Kudos

STILL MAJOR DOWNLOAD PROBLEMS WITH NOVEL "TEXT ME" NOT DOWNLOADABLE ON NOOK

Hi everyone in the Community and at B & N Support Staff,

I've posted my problem with the B & N Pubit community, specifically about my book "Text Me, A Tale of Love and Technology, " so much that my fingers are starting to hurt from all the typing (and that says a lot). In my last posting, I had informed all of you that  B & N Support Staff had gotten back to me, saying that they could successfully download my book - even though I couldn't - stating that I had to upload it with Nook applications. This I accepted and I thought I had figured it all out, but just in case something was wrong with my computer, I went over to my neighborhood Barnes and Noble Store, went over to the Nook counte,r and spoke to a B & N staff member (who specializes in selling the Nook) and told him about the problem, and asked if I could see my book on the Nook itself, just to make sure there still isn't a problem. Well lo and behold, someone at B & N  PubIt Support Staff wasn't telling the truth - it's not even downloadable on the Nook! - Looks like B & N PubIt support staff was shirking off me and my valid issues. First, B & N PubIt hadn't put up my "free sample" feature until I pushed them to, second, they didn't and still haven't put my book in any of the romance categories, as I had asked, and third, I couldn't download my free sample and/or book and they told me that it was a problem  on my end, yet, today I find out that wasn't the truth.

I have directed people to B & N to buy my eBook (and the print version is also up with it) and I  put B & N on my web site to forward others onto BarnesandNoble.com for my eBook, not to mention my blog, Twitter, and Facebook - how does it look when someone who wants to read my eBook goes to a link that I directed them to, and they can't download it - not even the sample? Bad. So you can understand how and why I'm so angry and frustrated with B & N Pubit! right now and the support service staff, and what has driven me to write this post.

Since I have gone back and forth with B & N support staff, and am just getting tired of being passed over, and since I'm putting up a free preview of my second book with bonus material from "Text Me," I have decided to unpublish this book ("Text Me") and then publish it all over again. I've tried the B & N Support Staff route and am dismayed at what I've experienced. I just have to take this matter into my own hands, and I hope that B & N PubIt is more help the second time around than it had been the first time around.

I want you all to know that I'm not a rabble-rouser (hopefully that's how you spell the term), but this is just bad. Real bad ...

AlisaWriter

New User
Petz
0 Kudos

Re: STILL MAJOR DOWNLOAD PROBLEMS WITH NOVEL "TEXT ME" NOT DOWNLOADABLE ON NOOK

Alisa

I share your frustration with the lack of support. I get the distinct feeling that Barnes and Noble really isn’t taking Pubit seriously, a big mistake with all the competition out there. The only reason I did this in the first place is that some of my fans use the Nook and requested a Nook version. They say no good deed goes unpunished and I’m beginning to wonder if I wouldn’t have been better off disappointing a few fans, then playing with this nightmare. I did have some issues with Amazon as well, but they were resolved within 24 hours, now that’s support.

Petz

Contributor
AlisaWriter
0 Kudos

Hi Petz,

My eBook is on Amazon.com, as well, and they're much more diligent than PubIt!, but of course, PubIt! had just been put up. What's interesting, is that I just went on Smashwords and was debating whether to use Smashwords to go on BarnesandNoble.com or to use PubIt!, reason being that I wasn't sure if BarnesandNoble.com could handle the total influx of authors concerning customer support and accounting. Now I'm getting the idea. I'm going to see what happens this week. I just took my book off sale and then uploaded another file, and now I have to wait for it be on sale again. I could have just uploaded the file and kept it on sale, but it wouldn't have been good to have people go to the book and not be able to upload it (and I was wondering what was going on - my Amazon sales have been great, my Smashwords sales have been decent, but absolutely nothing was going on at BarnesandNoble.com - and now, I know why.)

Petz - I feel your pain. Have you tried Smashwords? Although, they've got their own issues with that whatever grinding machine they have LOL. They need to take off some of their old programs.

- Alisa

New User
Petz
0 Kudos

I haven’t heard of Smashwords, gonna have to check them out. Is there anything you can tell me about them? Besides they use an old organ grinder? lol

It seems to me that Barnes and Noble are acting like this digital platform thingy is brand new and that they are the only one offering it, big mistake. If they want to survive they better shape up and soon, otherwise Amazon and all the other will eat them alive.

Petz

Contributor
AlisaWriter
0 Kudos

Hi Petz! Just go to www.smashwords.com, you'll see what I'm talking about; it works real well if you have it formatted right (you have to take a look at their style guide - this guide is pretty scary - because of how intricate it is - basically, make sure your entire eBook is formatted uniformally - keep the same margins, indents, line spacing, and so on, and it'll distribute your eBook all over the digital pub world. If you have a problem, contact their support services - they're very "hands-on" and quick to get back to their authors.

But I will say this, I think I might have found the answer to my problem, although I wish B & N PubIt! would have told me. I think that there might have been a formatting problem with my margins - but when I downloaded the file, the PubIt! program said the downloading was successful. But when I looked at Smashwords, I could see that some of the ePub content was outside of the margins. So, I reformatted my file so all the margins were uniform - which I thought they were, it seems like there was a bit of a glitch with all my eBook conversions - and when I downloaded my file, it seemed like it "took" (the download was a bit longer) better than it had before. The staff member at the B & N store told me that a file can be "corrupted" if there's a problem with formatting; if this is what actually happened, why didn't support services tell me? Well ... I'll find out if this is true within the next couple of days - I know it takes from 1-3 days for changes to show up, so I'll give it that time frame.

As far a B & N not taking PubIt! seriously, even with my anger and frustration towards this process that I've gone through, I do believe they're taking PubIt seriously, it's just that they're the new kids on the block when it comes to digital publishing. Most of the eBooks on B & N's site are taken from actual print books, which means they've been scanned. So although they've had eBooks, B & N hasn't been digital until PubIt!, and yes, they've had self-published digital eBooks on their site before, but  Smashwords was handling the ePub formatting for B & N  then (way before PubIt!). The problem is they need to get all their ducks in a row, and especially get a handle on how they're going to route authors' questions to support services (they should have team for different issues - titles, technology, accounting, etc.), otherwise they'll be ineffective. I would say accounting may be a problem, but probably not, since B & N itself has got entire departments devoted to transactions/accounting. So this is squarely on support services - be proactive B & N! Otherwise you'll wind up with egg on your face.

On a more positive note, they have set up a web page/site devoted to PubIt! with featured books and are keeping a bestselling PubIt! books list (s), and word has it (remember, just hearsay) that B & N is going to promote some PubIt! authors within their local communities.

Uh. Let's see what happens, and let me see what happens to my B & N eBook file this week.

Cheers,

Alisa

New User
Petz
0 Kudos

Thanks Alisa

I downloaded their formatting guide and my head is already spinning…lol. I will admit that they do have an interesting hook, most companies charge for a premium distribution service, the fact that they offer there’s for free intrigues me. As bad as this guide makes my head hurt, I guess that it will only benefit me in the long run to learn this…stuff.

Right now the only thing I know how to do with word is how to change the page setup…lol… why can’t the rest be as easy…lol.

I’m sure that B&N are trying, but they have a long way to go in the support department and that is only hurting them in the long run. The fact that no one could figure out your problem and the fact that they seem to be ignoring mine, bothers me a great deal.

Petz

Contributor
AlisaWriter
0 Kudos

Petz - you are completely right.  I'll post an update by Wednesday, and if there's still a problem with the book - with this new file that hasn't had a problem anywhere else - then I'm going to have no choice but to take it off PubIt and not even do my second book's preview on PubIt. Because what's the sense of having an eBook up that no one can download??

- Alisa

Contributor
AlisaWriter
0 Kudos

Hi all,

For now, until the B & N PubIt! tech issue with my eBook has been hopefully resolved, you can go read a free preview  of "Text Me, a Tale of Love and Technology" or download the entire eBook (in ePub format) for Nook at Smashwords at http://bit.ly/c0kq8J.

Cheers to everyone!

Alisa

Contributor
AlisaWriter
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Giving an update on my eBook's downloading situation for the end of the day, Monday: still not able to download my eBook with ANY application, including NOOK applications. Uh. I still can't believe that B & N services lied to me about being able to download my eBook successfully - that just isn't right.

Will give you all an update tomorrow.

Gee - I wonder why no one from B & N support staff is answering my posts here? ... Well, if by Wednesday I can't download my eBook, I will call them, because now I have their number ...

- Alisa

Contributor
AlisaWriter
0 Kudos

Hi all,

STILL not working, and now it's Wednesday. I'm so disappointed in Barnes and Noble - this is a problem on their end and they're not fixing it for some reason. I know it's their problem because I already checked my book "Text Me, A Tale of Love and Technology" for the ePub format, and everything is fine with this file that I downloaded.

I'll be calling Barnes and Noble tomorrow morning. Hopefully I'll get some help via the phone. Otherwise I have to find someway to get the book off their web site, period.

Just very disappointed in the process and customer service.

Alisa

Contributor
AlisaWriter
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Just wanted to give you an update on my downloads for TWO of my books that are still not working, and there's no "sample" feature for the book I just put up  - "Notes from Ellen Wasserfeldman (Preview Plus Bonus Material"; it's the same thing that happened to my other book. I contacted PubIt and they emailed me back that they're aware of my technology problem and that the tech team is working to resolve it. I really appreciate that they got back to me so quickly and that the tech team is working on it, but if by end of day Monday, if the issue hasn't been resolved with both books, I'm going to ask them to take my books and my account down. It just shouldn't take this long - the first book was published on B & N at the end of last month, and I've been emailing PubIt! since then about these very issues - and I'll tell you, I'm starting to take it personally, because everyone else's sample feature is up and downloading and so are there eBooks. It just seems like I got the unlucky portal or something.

Really, on a personal note, I'm frustrated to the point of tears. When you're a writer and you work so hard at what you do and you hope to market your book in the best light and then something like this happens, and then it seems that no one on the other end is helping to solve your problem (hopefully, the tech team will work on this ASAP and this will be the last time I'll have to post something like this on here), it's really difficult.

Hope this gets better really soon.

Alisa

Contributor
AlisaWriter
0 Kudos

Hi all,

The technical problems with my books on PubIt! concerning downloading and previews have not been resolved and it's been weeks. The PubIt! support staff was very quick to get back to me once they realized it was a problem on their end, but ridiculously slow in resolving my tech problem (I mean, we're not just talking a day here, we're talking a couple of weeks!) I honestly think this problem would have never been resolved by this support team, especially since it's probably not that difficult of a problem - I have a feeling my account had a glitch in it somewhere, and they're just not telling me about it.

Anyway, for now I'll be working with getting my book on BarnesandNoble.com through Smashwords.

Support services needs to get their act together.

Alisa Dana Steinberg

Distinguished Correspondent
Shopaholic
0 Kudos

Have you tried switching browsers?  I was using AOL and wasn't able to upload my novel either, but after trying through Internet Explorer, it went right through.  24 hours later my first book, "Surprises: A Willow Ryan Novel" was up on bn.com.  Hope this helps!

"You found the bandages inside the pen/ And the stitches on the radio." - Gaslight Anthem

Follow my blog at http://willowwriter.blogspot.com
Contributor
hannahmac
0 Kudos

Trust me, you're not the only one having problems.  I uploaded my book two weeks ago and it's still processing.  I've posted a few questions on this discussion board and have send them 2 e-mails.  My book was for sale on amazon in less then 48 hours.  seems to me like B&N just doesnt' care about customer service.

Erin

New User
rosewood51
0 Kudos

Having the same problem with my e-book. During my simulator review, I get about half way through the story and it says END OF E-BOOK. Wow. Think of the charge-backs from angry readers if they purchase a book like that. I wonder how many self-publishers have NOT done a complete page-by-page review and inadvertently published an incomplete book. B & N better get they're act together. This is a new wave--a revolution in publishing--and Nook will become the "Beta" of this era if they don't get with it.