Contributor
njaim
0 Kudos

So does Nook Press simply not work?

It seems like Nook Press is just a horrible experience.

When I try to upload ePubs, it will say they are uploaded in the messages but not let me see anything or edit anything with the editor and previewers. When I click the manuscript tab it acts like there isn't one uploaded at all.

And my vendor account has been in review for more than two weeks!

Any tips? Any advice? Am I wasting my time with Nook? Are they going under?

Reader
federalebooksus
0 Kudos

Re: So does Nook Press simply not work?

Nook Press sucks.  I still use Pubit when I can.  It's a shame too because nookpress could have been so much more if they actually took the time to listen to what people on here actually had to say.  Not to deter you.  But you will find the publishing aspect has zero support and we are forced to rely on the help of other publishers on here.  Which I appreciate, however, Barnes and Noble really could be a lot more if they paid attention to us.

Frequent Contributor
TomRichardson
0 Kudos

To restate what Fed...us said: If you have a Pubit account, use that; it still works. If you're forced to use the Nook Press web pages, you're SOL, and that's the truth. If you walk into a B&N brick-and-mortar store and scream at the manager, MAYBE the problems will get fixed. (Or maybe you'll just be arrested.)
Contributor
njaim
0 Kudos

Unfortuantely, while I have a PubIt account, but my newer clients do not. :smileysad:

I've actually always considered B&N and the Nook a joke, and only bothered with it as a freelance publisher/whatever. They just keep proving us right with poor service and now Nook Press taking over for a platform that, however good or bad, at least works.

I hate to lose the business I get from doing books for the Nook, but it doesn't make sense to push my clients toward a publishing platform that doesn't work, report sales correctly, or bother helping their customers.

Thanks guys. I'm glad to know that I'm at least not alone with these issues.

Frequent Contributor
EinsteinPD
0 Kudos

The answer to the question "So does Nook Press simply not work?" depends on what it is intended to do.

IF it is intended to promote the BandN ebook business, then yes, it "simply does not work."

IF it is intended to get rid of the BandN ebook business, then no, it does work."

A statement was published several weeks ago, that an offer to purchase BandN's business was being prepared, and that it would NOT include the ebook business. This being the situation, the ebook business part of BandN then becomes a serious obstacle to the selling of BandN. How to get rid of the obstacle? Wnen and if enough Indie authors get discouraged and leave, then the obstacle will be gone.Then the object of NOOK Press is to discourage and get rid of Indie authors. Are you discouraged? Are you thinking of going elsewhere? I am.

It seems to me that the BandN management attempts to make customers and suppliers welcome at its brick and mortar stores. Then why not do the same, why do the reverse, with their online ebook business?

I consider the above a hypothesis, the least reliable stage of scientific knbowledge. I have no way of knowing reliably why NOOK Press, with its serious ongoing problems, has replaced Pubit. But I will give BandN management credit for not being so dumb, as to introduce the NOOK Press problems by accident. And then fail tocorrect them. I just do NOT think they are that dumb.

Contributor
njaim
0 Kudos

That's an interesting theory, and I wish I had more information on what was actually going on, since it impacts my work so much. 

Still, it doesn't make any sense. Why would a corporation, whose only real goal is profits, spend money in an effort to kill off part of their business that isn't working for them? Wouldn't damage control be a better step than self-sabotage? 

In either case, I've never been impressed with B&N and Nook. If I didn't have to use it to make my living, I would have never given it much thought after my first few experiences with it, which were just as frustrating as my current issues.

Now how to get my clients to realize it's becoming a waste of time... who knows? They'll just have to trust me, I guess.

Frequent Contributor
EinsteinPD
0 Kudos

If becoming a client of yours will help market my 26 ebooks, please let me know what is involved. My email address is available on my website Philduke.weebly.com.

Contributor
burningbush75
0 Kudos

My booi The verdict Of A Closed Case" in out for review I do not know very much about Nook Press. I would like to know more about this effort. I have e-book yet do not understand the marketing side..anyone knows?

burningbush75!
Contributor
njaim
0 Kudos

I could offer a little advice, but I'm typically more of a publisher/editor than a marketer.

My advice is to start by reading Mark Coker's guide to marketing ebooks (free on Smashwords.com).

Frequent Contributor
chezjim
0 Kudos

I had problems previewing a new book on Nook Press, wrote Support, never heard a word back. Finally I just logged into Pubit and did it the old way, without a hitch.

Jim Chevallier
North Hollywood, CA
http://www.chezjim.com
"Monologues for Teens and Twenties", "How to Kill a Peacock", "Paris Poems", "August Zang and the French Croissant", "Suicide Monologues for Actors and Others", etc.
Frequent Contributor
TomRichardson
0 Kudos

I second Chezjim's remarks. IF you have a Pubit account, you still can log into it (for the time being), and I too advise you to use ONLY Pubit.

Frequent Contributor
JimLow
0 Kudos

I switched to Nook Press from Pubit!, the same day I received thier email about the switchover and my account and eBook titles all transitioned smoothly, so I feel fortunate. I've also uploaded new titles, with no snags at all. I used Internet Explorer "IE" but ...I have heard of people using IE for certain things that wouldn't work for them but would work for other people doing the same tasks. 

I mentioned in posts previously, that I feel it's possible that some browser-types might be the problem (it's not necessarily that Nook Press is behind on updates but the browser providers might be). I'll add to my previous posts, that I recently could not get eBook files to upload at Kobo and I tried a variety of document types, with no success (previous to this, I uploaded dozens of eBooks there with no problem). I then tried Google Chrome to upload them and they did so immediately, with no problem. Strange! In light of what I mention in the first paragraph above, maybe there's a problem with not only browser types but different internet speeds in combination with them. Maybe internet provider services have something to do with it as well (my provider is AT&T).

I used to write for content websites and this same problem of different browsers, speeds and providers having different difficulties, manifested from time to time. These are possibilities to consider because if there was a true problem with Nook Press, no one should be having success getting their eBooks published, through the updated platform. For them to cause problems for only certain publishers, would be more trouble  than it would be worth to them. That's not to say that glitches aren't going to occur because they probably will but as long as they fix them, we'll good to go.  

Frequent Contributor
Angela_Beegle
0 Kudos

I have not tried uploading a book since the switch to Nook Press, although I can see all my books in both PubIt and Nook Press.

However, my sales have dropped to about 1/3 of what they were before the change. It's distressing. My sales elsewhere are steady or at least within their usual range.

At first I attributed a drop in sales to post-tax-day malaise, but it only began in the last week in April. Sales were fine until then, even around April 15.

Frequent Contributor
EinsteinPD
0 Kudos

My sales disappeared when NOOK Press came on, and never came back. I contacted Support on this and heard promptly from them, they said everything is working fine and they checked my sales for a certain specific time period, which was a different time period than what I had written them about. Based on this I assume it was not just a bot form letter, because if it was, the dates would be the same. My sales with Amazon.com increased slightly while those with BandN fell to nothing. My promo is unchanged. I cannot imagine why readers would be buying my books from Amazon, and not from BandN. Does anyone have any ideas on this?

You may be able to publish via NOOK Press, but what about your sales?

Website with Free contest and Prize, Philduke.weebly.com.

Frequent Contributor
LearningIsland
0 Kudos

Sales taking a nosedive at the advent of Nook Press seems to be a common complaint. It has also happened to me. I'm hoping it's a glitch in their system and that they will get it straightened out. I don't have much hope, though.