Frequent Contributor
Janico
0 Kudos

TROUBLE UPLOADING COVER IMAGE

My cover image JUST WON'T UPLOAD. As far as I know it has all the right specifications as far as pixels and DPI go. What else could be wrong. It is so frustrating. The artist has worked on it three times now to make sure it is right. What else can I do?

Distinguished Correspondent
Mrs-Smith
0 Kudos

Re: TROUBLE UPLOADING COVER IMAGE

What are the dimensions? Total file size? Is it JPG?

Frequent Contributor
Janico
0 Kudos

It is 150 DPI. It is 436 KB
The size is 480 x 640 and if those are the pixels then perhaps that is the problem. I still haven't quite understood pixels as opposed to DPI
Frequent Contributor
SF50
0 Kudos

Hey Janico,

Your resolution (the ### x ###) is too low.

PubIt's requirements as listed are:

"Your cover image must be a .JPG or .JPEG file with a file size between 5KB and 2MB. The sides must be between 750 pixels and 2000 pixels in length."

If you send that exact line to your artist they should have no problems making the adjustment needed. Ignore DPI.

Thanks,

SF
eB Format - eBook formatting and conversions

Janico wrote:
It is 150 DPI. It is 436 KB
The size is 480 x 640 and if those are the pixels then perhaps that is the problem. I still haven't quite understood pixels as opposed to DPI

Frequent Contributor
Janico
0 Kudos

Thank you! I will look into this. There seems to be so much to learn!
Correspondent
eB00k
0 Kudos

Hi Janico,

PubIt! has two separate requirements for an ebook cover image. One is for the cover image that goes inside the ebook file, itself. The second is for the marketing image that is used on the B&N website on your ebook's product page and for any advertising that B&N may elect to do.

The cover image that goes into the ebook file will normally be handled by the person or business that converts your book to an ePub, the ebook file format used by the Nook. This version of your cover does not have to be as big as the marketing version and familiar resolution specifications like DPI (dots per inch) and PPI (pixels per inch) are ignored. All that matters is the total number of pixels (or dots) and they are expressed in height x width. B&N's formatting guidelines discuss a 730 x 600 pixel cover image but this is out of date because the Nook HD+ has a screen resolution of 1920 x 1280 pixels.

Note: Many folks (even PubIt! and B&N) will confuse height and width and will often list the smaller dimension (the width) first. So you'll see many folks write 600 x 730 pixels. When you do, just remember that the largest number should normally be the height and the smaller number should normally be the width. Most users hold their Nooks in a portrait rather than a landscape orientation, which is why height x width is generally preferred.

Although PubIt! will accept a smaller cover image for the cover inside the ebook file, you might want to use something closer to the Nook HD+ so your cover will be reasonably future proof.

The cover image that is uploaded separately for marketing is the largest. PubIt! wants an image large enough to use on HD (high definition) displays and/or in print advertising, if they desire. As SF50 wrote, 640 x 480 pixels would be too small for this purpose. In fact, 730 x 600 would also be too small.

There are two more things you should know about cover images. First, PubIt! does not want you to be too creative with the shape of the image. They prefer an image with a traditional 4:3 shape or aspect ratio similar to most book covers. They will reject covers with odd shapes even if they have the right number of pixels. For example, the following dimensions have the "preferred" 4:3 shape:

800 x 600 pixels

1024 x 768 pixels

1280 x 960 pixels

1600 x 1200 pixels

1920 x 1440 pixels

2000 x 1500 pixels

You do not need to be paranoid about making the shape exactly 4:3. I do not. But you want it to be roughly this shape. It shouldn't be square or wider than it is tall.

Second, most publishers like PubIt! specify only the longest dimension. When they say your image should be 750 to 2000 pixels, they mean the longest dimension (the height) should be from 750 to 2000 pixels. The smallest dimension (the width) will be 3/4 of the long dimension if you use a perfect 4:3 shape.

Hope that helps.

Kind regards, David

New User
GEwriter
0 Kudos

I'm having the same problem, and I can't believe pubit won't accept my image. The image must be a standard size, as it was done by a professional who knew what I was using it for. It uploaded in Amazon just fine. Surely pubit doesn't require a different size image than amazon. Or does it? The artist created the image 6 months ago. I don't really want to have to go back to him at this late date. Very frustrating. Does anybody know - is it true that pubit requires a different size image than Amazon, or am I doing something wrong?

Correspondent
eB00k
0 Kudos

Hi GEwriter,

Why should the cover image specifications for the Kindle e-reader be the same as the Nook e-reader? Why do you believe there is a "standard size" for cover images across different e-reader platforms?

Kind regards, David

New User
GEwriter
0 Kudos

Well, mainly because the artist didn't say anything about needing more than what he gave me. He should know. He led me to believe that his image as it was would be all I needed. Also, it just makes sense that there should be standardization.

Correspondent
eB00k

Hi GEwriter,

Just because an artist is a good artist doesn't mean they know a thing about preparing their art files for various ebook platforms. It's a specialty that requires extra training and experience. And understanding the art file submission process and requirements for each ebook platform is essential.

On the other hand, just because someone can code html and css with aplomb and understands the ePub standards in their sleep, doesn't mean they know a thing about how to use typography, white space and art to create a legible, readable and attractive reflowable layout within the constrains of an e-reader.

Back to your problem, it sounds like you need to get a copy of the original cover art file that your artist created. Then go to a good ebook formatter and enlist their help. Some of them do not charge much and you'll be able to assess their skills by the samples they post on their websites. I don't do formatting for hire.

Kind regards, David

New User
GEwriter
0 Kudos

Thanks for your help, David. Fortunately, I was able to fix the problem myself. I made a copy of the cover art I have, and was able to resize it to pubit's specifications. I learned something. Didn't know I could even do this.

Greg

Frequent Contributor
Janico
0 Kudos

Thanks so much David. That is very informative. I did manage to increase the pixels on the cover and it worked!